The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone played an Emerald vs Rainsong

And anyone aware of soundclips for an emerald.

Also 12 strings. I've heard the rainsong 12 string doesn't sound too bad.

Comments on their 12 strings would be welcome.

thanks,

Stuart
Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Stuart, you can hear sound clips of the Emerald X5 Life (their travel-sized, full scale length guitar) here:

http://www.emeraldlife.com/guitarspecs.html.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim,

Didn't see the samples when I gave their site a quick once over earlier.

They should work on those samples.

I could not buy one after listening.

Is that the Rainsong you just bought. Have you played both the Advanced and the original models. And do you concur that the original model has greater projection.

Does anyone know the marketing intent of the advanced line.

thanks Jim,

Stuart
Old 05-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
They should work on those samples.

I could not buy one after listening.
Agreed. They'd probably sell more guitars if they took the samples off the site.

Quote:
Is that the Rainsong you just bought.
Yes, I just bought a Rainsong last night. Ordered it online, though, so I don't have it yet.

Quote:
Have you played both the Advanced and the original models. And do you concur that the original model has greater projection.
I have not played an Advanced model yet... but have tried a number of the original models. Projection isn't really a concern for me, since I'll be using the Rainsong for travel, classroom use, and outdoor gigs (where I'll be plugging in).

I'm not overly concerned about tone, either, for my purposes... although I know the Rainsong will sound good. Different from my other guitars, for sure--but not to such an extreme that it will be an issue.

I was convinced when I heard clips of Al Petteway playing a Rainsong. I honestly couldn't tell that it was a graphite guitar. The fact that he and David Wilcox (two players who I think have a wonderful ear for tone, and who have played the best acoustics out there) are playing Rainsongs was plenty enough to convince me that I'd be fine with one, too.

Quote:
Does anyone know the marketing intent of the advanced line.
I think they just wanted to make a more affordable version so that they could attract a wider customer base.

I'm not ready to make a composite guitar my main instrument yet, but as a second guitar to be used in situations where you don't want to risk a nice wood guitar, I think the Rainsongs (and CA Guitars) are hard to beat.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your time Jim,

I've listened to your music and look forward to ordering CD's. I know you're a Hamblin fan and I look forward to hearing his Guitars at Healdsburg. You might even be playing them for him, I can't recall.

I'm a member of the Collings forum and RickS and I have exchanged emails on occasion. He originally directed me to your site when I was investigating Hamblins. My conclusion was, in case your curious, that I need to hear one live. I find you can eliminate guitars via recordings, but you can't really pick. Your music sounds great though, I'll say that. I'm a celtic fan and have a collings 000. Will pick up a few guitars this year. Maybe three if I get a used composite. As I want one more expensive, and one moderate (maybe a Thompson).

Just want some different sounds. But I do go off on trips and leave stuff in hot cars and I can't see myself separated from a guitar for very long even though I haven't played for long.

I have a recording for you to listen to. I just dicovered it on my space.

It's a CA guitar. Don't even know what that stands for yet. But it sounds really nice. The notes are very - well, there is less blending or overtones, which I do like (have a rosewood). I hate dreads, but geeze. Now I'm going to have to find some more of these on recordings.

http://www.myspace.com/compositeacoustics

What do you think.

Stuart
Old 05-19-2007, 05:08 PM

I have played a Rainsong WS1000 and the A-WS1000.
I thought the WS1000 was a really great sounding and playing instrument! it rivalled a high quality wood instrument in the same price range. After playing one I have become convinced that this represents the future of guitar building.
The Advanced however did not impress me so much (sorry Jim . . .). It was physically heavy and dull sounding by comparison. The Advanced was not bad by any means, it's just that the WS-1000 impressed me so much!

I think it's important to be clear on why you might want a graphite instrument.
If you love the instrument on its merits (and there is lots to love), go for it.
If you live in an environment that wreaks havoc on wood (drastic temperature and/or humidity changes, or extremes of either) then a graphite guitar makes a lot of sense.
Likewise, if you want a guitar that will be virtually indestructible to the rigours of travel, road/stage use, or taking to the beach and parties then graphite makes lots of sense. In this category however I would also be thinking about buying a cheap well made Chinese guitar for a lot less money.

I have not had a chance to play a CA guitar, but from comments on the net they appear to sound more like a wood guitar than a Rainsong.

Aaron
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I know you're a Hamblin fan and I look forward to hearing his Guitars at Healdsburg.
Healdsburg is definitely a guitarist's dream. Have fun!

Quote:
You might even be playing them for him, I can't recall.
Kent invited me to play, but I can't make it out there this year. Doug Young played teh Hamblin mini-concert last time, and did a fantastic job. I hope Doug is able to do it again.

Quote:
My conclusion was, in case your curious, that I need to hear one live.
A wise conclusion.

By the way, none of the recordings on my website were done with Hamblins. My first CD, Castlerea, was recorded with a handful of cedar-topped Taylors, and the other two CDs were recorded with an Avalon A101. It wasn't until just after recording those CDs that I decided to have Kent build a couple of guitars for me.

The first recording I did with a Hamblin was "Begin the Beguine," my contribution to the DeLovely Guitar tribute to Cole Porter. I used the cedar/mahogany one for that.

Quote:
I find you can eliminate guitars via recordings, but you can't really pick.
Playing one live is definitely best. The Hamblin that is now in RickS's possession is the one that convinced me to give Kent a call. There's no substitute for playing a builder's guitar for yourself.

To that end, if you're ever in the Atlanta area, you're most welcome to drop by for a visit and a Hamblin trial.

Quote:
Your music sounds great though, I'll say that.
Thanks! Maybe I'll just send you a free CD instead of paying you to say that.

Quote:
It's a CA guitar. Don't even know what that stands for yet. But it sounds really nice.
CA = Composite Acoustics. I've heard nothing but good things about CA guitars, and most folks tend to think they have a bit more of a "Martinesque" sound to them than Rainsongs.

For my purposes, I wanted to stay in the lower price range of the Rainsong advanced series. If I were looking at the original Rainsongs, I'd definitely want to compare them to CA Guitars, which I think are similarly priced.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trion12 View Post
The Advanced however did not impress me so much (sorry Jim . . .).
No worries at all. Like I said, I'm not looking for something to replace my Hamblins. I'll leave the Rainsong out on the stand, take it outside during Atlanta summers, take it along on vacations, and bring it to my classroom. I might also bring it to an outdoor gig.

It doesn't need to sound great... it just needs to stay in tune and be fairly durable.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 PM

I owned 2 CAs, 3 Rainsong,1 Rainsong Advanced series, and 2 Emerald guitars.
It is difficult to say which are the best.
If you want a "Martin" sound, with lots of low end and a "wooden" sound, go for CA.
If you play fingerstyle, definitely go with Rainsong (the classic s, the Advanced series are OK but they have a certain lack of volume and they are heavy).
Emerald guitars are different. They do not sound at all like a wood guitar, but their sound is very modern and pleasant, almost processed.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Yes,

Thanks to all,

I may go for the CA Legacy dread, even though I don't like dreads as the sound is closest to what I am comfortable with. It also seems to have less overtones and more note separation, though those with experience may argue otherwise. I will not buy new but will wait for a used one.

The purpose for me is clearly to have a guitar I can throw in the back of the car no matter where we go. So if I'm getting bored out of my wits, I can pull it out and practice.

The bluegrass sounded fasinating, but I don't use a pick and don't play bluegrass. Sure would like to play around with it though.

I don't know if I'll pick it up right away. I am going on a trip for 25 days this summer and it sure would work out well. The alternative is to pick up a $300 guitar, but I' think I would toss it away afterwards, which is a waste. And I still wouldn't have a guitar that could handle the elements.

All the best for all of your feedback.

Stuart
Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 PM

hey stuart,

i noticed you mentioned "the back of the car" a few times...

it's true that carbon fiber guitars are impervious to humidity & cold, but extreme heat is still a no no. (due to potential failure of glue joints).

while i wouldn't fear leaving mine in the car for a while during the summer, i would not risk doing so for a protracted period.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 05-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Well that is something I didn't realize. So tying it to the top of the care in 97 degree heat under direct sunlight ain't going to work eh. That's too bad. I thought it was impervious to the elements. That means no leaving it in the care on hot days, which is a little painful and is one of the things I was thinking I could do.

Actually, here is a quote I cut and pasted just to provide some insite as to why I might have (and perhaps still do) think you can sizzle the beast.

"Imagine what it would be like to own a guitar that you can leave in your trunk on a hot day, only to pull it out and have it completely in tune, no worse for the wear. Or even better—a guitar you could check at the airport with no anxiety. How about a guitar that you could leave out on a hot, dry stage for that outdoor festival? Or one that you never, ever have to humidify? Or whose action never needs adjusting? While an instrument like this would be just a fantasy in the world of traditional guitars, CA Guitars builds them every day "

Ah well, we'll get to the truth of it.

Stuart

thanks Jas,

Last edited by stuartb; 05-20-2007 at 08:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber