The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 AM

Default Mixer Yamaha MG10XU vs Soundcraft 12FX

Hi all.
I've been looking for a mixer for a while and haven't got round to buying one yet. I was ready to buy the Yamaha MG06X but then I saw the Yamaha MG10XU with more inputs (4XLR) and also USB out (single stereo track only) - recording would come in handy but not the main use of the mixer.
I have also seen the Soundcraft Notepad 12FX and it is around the same price at the MG10XU. The Yamaha has Master XLR and Master 1/4 inch stereo, FX, monitor and headphone outs. The Soundcraft has Master XLR, FX, Aux and Headphone outs. Yamaha has 24 effects with (wet) level and parameter while Soundcraft has 4 (Reverb, Delay, Chorus and 'karaoke') effects with adjustment to parameter only.
Yamaha USB is to single stereo track only while Soundcraft has 4 tracks (many reviews have had difficulty getting more than 2 tracks, though on a youtube clip I saw 4 tracks being recorded at once with it).
Primarily for 2 singers and acoustic guitar but I think more inputs would be good in the future and expecially good if XLR inputs. Would be handy to record tracks with it so Soundcraft looks better there. Soundcraft gets great reviews for the preamps.
Do any owners of either of these units have other suggestions on why one would be better than the other?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:24 AM

I used a Yamaha MG8CX for years l and I absolutely LOVE the 1 knob compression. Then I picked up an MG06X and really like the delay, as opposed to reverb, for effects, but missed the 3 band eq and compression. I ran across a used MG10XU and grabbed it. The USB is great. I use it at my work (school) and record lessons with it. (I teach HS math). I also use it at live events for non-profit events and having the 4 XLRs is great. When paired with a sub, I run the AUX send to it. The XLR outputs are also much better than the older MG8CX's 1/4" outputs. My only gripe with the MG10XU is the bulky external power supply, which my MG8CX also uses.

FWIW, I also have the larger MG16XU and that delay effect is really great for vocals and guitar.

I can't speak for the Soundcraft, but the "cheaply made" plastic MG8CX I've had for 8 years is still going strong. The MG10XU has a metal case and is stand mountable with optional adapter.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 AM

I've been using a MG10XU for the last 6 months and like it for the mix of features (compression too). For live performance, I doubt there is a mixer on the market which is not good enough with wide margin. None of these low end mixers have nutted down metal shaft POTs (like my Tapco from the 80s). I don't think this decision is worth the thought so many people put into it. It comes down to price and features and maybe the convenience of picking it up nearby (mine came from the local GC).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-04-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 AM

I decided I needed a mixer for my home recording setup (not a studio - just a PC and a bunch of stuff). I selected the MG10XU. When I went to GC to pick one up, it was on sale for 15% off. A pleasant surprise! I like the mixer a lot.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 AM

Thanks everyone. Looks like Yamaha gets the popular vote.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:11 AM

Default Sound craft is a winner

I've used the Soundcraft notepad for over a year and it's awesome. Grow warm sounding preamps, how can actually combine reverb and delay, sub into 4 tracks for recording works great and it's a high quality build. I had a mix Yamaha before that and while it's good the sound craft is a bit better. My 2 cents

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 AM

Default Sound craft is a winner

I've used the Soundcraft notepad for over a year and it's awesome. warm sounding preamps, you can actually combine reverb and delay, usb into 4 tracks for recording works great and it's a high quality build. I had a mix Yamaha before that and while it's good the sound craft is a bit better. My 2 cents

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 11-12-2018, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the reply Groovekings. I haven't bought one yet so I will keep considering. The ability to send up to 4 inputs via USB to computer or just the stereo mix is an added benefit.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:25 AM

After having another look the dig difference for my use is the Yamaha has adjustable compressor on inputs 1+2 and Soundcraft has 4 input USB recording. How useful is the compressor for 2 vocal mics?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 AM

The compression helps to tame plosives, can be forgiving for vocalists who aren't well trained on proper mic technique and eat the mic, as well as being a blessing for micing drums or other percussion. Curtailing those peaks in amplitude can really save your speakers.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
After having another look the dig difference for my use is the Yamaha has adjustable compressor on inputs 1+2 and Soundcraft has 4 input USB recording. How useful is the compressor for 2 vocal mics?
I have the Yamaha and I like the mixer but personally I'm not that crazy about the compressors so if I use them I use them sparingly. The attack setting seems to be too quick and you can hear the compression kick in if you have it dialed in too high.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM

I've had the Notepad 12fx for about 8 - 9 months now. Great little thing, smaller than a sheet of A4. My main board is a MFXi8 bigger but still compact and much more versatile. It was that or a A&H 10fx. More routing options and 'mutes' on the MFXi8.

The 12fx is cool for what it is, slightly limited EQ, the reverb is OK, that tap tempo delay drives me insane so I never touch it, shame. Phantom power is good and overall a neat little thing. Personally I think compressors ala on the Yamaha are of very limited use in most live situations. I do like Yammie gear in general though. Oh and the 4 way USB works just fine so for that angle alone I think for you it seems like the go. Only thing is I tried to do the software upgrade and that dumped the 4 way USB for some reason, gave up and went backwards to the original, shrug.

So as ever it depends what exactly you need it to do as to which way you go.

Kris
Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 PM

My daughter has a MG10XU that she likes a lot, and so do I. One reason we picked that one for her is the USB output. She doesn't use it with vocals but she does use it live and for recording with acoustic & electric violins, ukulele, and keyboards. If it was suddenly gone we'd replace it with another just like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification