The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Reverb advice please

I purchased an old Harmony parlor on Reverb.

Seller described guitar as "good" condition .Description of its condition was vague.Stated there was a tuner issue which was resolved and it is only a "cosmetic" defect.

Guitar arrived yesterday.The back portion of the tuner plate is displaced upward from the headstock (photo attached).The tuners are so tight that I can't turn them.And the guitar has a definite musty odor.I asked him if it had any odor issues prior to buying and he said there was none.

I have requested a refund from the seller.Is this an option or because of the no return policy I am out of about $200?

My wife does want the guitar in the house so if I have to retain it it's going in the garbage.(this is what I get for being cheap

Will Reverb help? Do they side with the buyer or seller?

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Gabe

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Reverb pretty much always sides with the buyer these days so you should be able to get a refund considering it showed up differently than it was described.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 PM

Even if the shop policy is "no refunds", if you receive an item that is not as described, you are entitled to their buyer protection which entails return shipping on the seller's dime, and a full refund. You need to contact Reverb within 7 days of delivery to file the claim.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I was able to successfully return a guitar listed "as-is" due to big differences in the described condition and actual condition.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Reverb overly protects the buyer so you should be fine getting a refund.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your help everyone!

I'll proceed to contact reverb....

Gabe
Old 07-11-2020, 08:45 PM

If they don't your credit card company will.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Get as much of the communciation in writing through reverb messages. Then call customer service. They should refund based on guitar not being as described. I had that happen to me there, as the buyer, and they were great.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Looks like new strings on it, probably much heavier guage than should be installed, and not installed very well, either. That would put far too much pull on those tuners, probably causing the problems you see. And probably easily corrected with the right strings.

Musty odor? Like, maybe, an old guitar? That’s pretty easily fixed too -

It’s not clear to me what it is you’re expecting - but if I were the seller with a vintage guitar offered pretty cheap, I’d be pretty upset -
Old 07-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I think that a “good” condition rating sounds like it was accurate. I doubt reverb will refund. If he has listed it as excellent or very good then I think you would have a case.

I don’t ever buy a used guitar when the description is “vague” no matter how good the deal is. Also, anytime a condition rating isn’t excellent I ask the seller to list the specific reasons they didn’t choose to list as excellent or mint.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Looks like new strings on it, probably much heavier guage than should be installed, and not installed very well, either. That would put far too much pull on those tuners, probably causing the problems you see. And probably easily corrected with the right strings.

Musty odor? Like, maybe, an old guitar? That’s pretty easily fixed too -

It’s not clear to me what it is you’re expecting - but if I were the seller with a vintage guitar offered pretty cheap, I’d be pretty upset -
The strings are already very loose.The tuner plate cannot be pushed in all the way into the headstock holes.Actually the tuner plate is frozen in the position as seen on photo.The seller states there was no smell.My wife won't allow me to keep the guitar in the house.I am unable to turn one of the tuning pegs.So the guitar to me is non functional.I am very upset!
Old 07-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
I think that a “good” condition rating sounds like it was accurate. I doubt reverb will refund. If he has listed it as excellent or very good then I think you would have a case.

I don’t ever buy a used guitar when the description is “vague” no matter how good the deal is. Also, anytime a condition rating isn’t excellent I ask the seller to list the specific reasons they didn’t choose to list as excellent or mint.
Well good should be...good.I have owned guitars for 55 years and this one is NOT "good"....
Old 07-13-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I purchased an old Harmony parlor on Reverb.

Seller described guitar as "good" condition .Description of its condition was vague.Stated there was a tuner issue which was resolved and it is only a "cosmetic" defect.

Guitar arrived yesterday.The back portion of the tuner plate is displaced upward from the headstock (photo attached).The tuners are so tight that I can't turn them.And the guitar has a definite musty odor.I asked him if it had any odor issues prior to buying and he said there was none.

I have requested a refund from the seller.Is this an option or because of the no return policy I am out of about $200?

My wife does want the guitar in the house so if I have to retain it it's going in the garbage.(this is what I get for being cheap

Will Reverb help? Do they side with the buyer or seller?

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Gabe

[IMG][/IMG]

What did Reverb recommend you do ?
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Take the tuners off and flatten the plate.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 07-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Several things. That is more than cosmetic. Retainer screw likely stripped. Looking at the anglr of the shaft, either there’s severe damage to the headstock wood, or that is a replacement tuner of smaller diameter, allowing that kind of play. Also, without locking tuners, am I seeing only a half wrap on the post? Contact Reverb ASAP and claim guitar was not as described. You should be fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion