The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-11-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I still think Makers Mark is the best buy, at least for me, and I've drank a lot of good bourbons. I have just not found the price/value curve goes up much, unless there's something very specific in personal taste that attracts you, personally.

I like really good Irish whiskey, but it's a bit hard to find here, honestly. A good friend's daughter worked at the embassy in DC some years back and he would get some good stuff. Not a fan of Scotch, and I drank my share of that many decades ago.

But, I honestly buy only a bottle a year, so enjoy it as a treat when the weather is right. (Might be two bottles this year...)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 AM

Bourbon - Evan Williams.

Cheap and I like it.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 AM

For my tastebuds and wallet:

Scotch - Glenlivet French Oak Reserve (15)
Bourbon - Knob Creek
Rye - Crown Royal
Epiphone Dot
Old 07-11-2020, 09:41 AM

I no longer drink alcohol, but last summer my wife and I did a distillery tour of Woodford Reserve in Lexington, KY that included a tasting at the end.

Of the 5-6 little glasses I tried, the only one I'd consider buying was one called "Double Oak" (I think that's what it's called) that was actually quite good!

I never was a big drinker (except for college when I was young and stupid) so I have no real experience with whiskeys but if I were to take it up, Woodford Reserve Double Oak would be the one I'd drink.

Have fun in your quest,
PJ
Old 07-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I've done a few blind taste tests with friends who swear they could pick out their favorite bourbon or whiskey from a line up. We put 4 cups out with 4 different drinks. Everyone who had a favorite picked the wrong one! Wonder how much of the placebo effect is going on. I have heard with wines, there is only a small percentage of people who can actually tell differences (truly a gift!).

Thanks for all the recommendations. Keep them coming! Our go to has been Bulleit Rye. We also enjoy Widow Jane, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Stranahans, Blackened, Teeling and a few others.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 07-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
...I do appreciate some smoky peaty single malt Scotch, like Lagavulin 16, and Laphroaig 10...
My man - two of my faves along with Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg 10, Caol Ila if I'm in the mood for something in a classic Islay but a little lighter...
Old 07-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Anyone here lucky enough to have tried Pappy Van Winkle bourbon? You used to see it in the odd pub over ten years ago, I would always get a glass where I saw it as it truly is nectar of the Gods. Unfortunately its reputation got wildly out of hand and now you're hundreds or even over a thousand for a bottle apparently.

I'm Scottish so I suppose I better give a whisky recommendation: Balvenie Double Wood is my favourite. Perfect balance of sweetness and complexity.

Last edited by foxo; 07-11-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Single malt for me. Or better yet, my own homemade strawberry brandy.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Anyone here lucky enough to have tried Pappy Van Winkle bourbon?
Yup. And on the same occasion I got to try some Japanese ones that cost not as much, but definitely top shelf stuff. The one I remember was Nikka. Because it was great, and not completely out of reach. No point in getting the name of $1,500 bottles.

Gotta say. Different. Easy to say "I like this one best", but you'd have to be one heck of an expert to say "this one is better".

But I'm a pragmatic and thrifty person. I'm happy with Wild Turkey and have been for 30 years. I recently tried some Buffalo Trace. It's the Bourbon equivalent of Tito's Vodka. Very hip. Very "au courant". And very good IMO. Somewhere around $40. Wild turkey rare breed is about $10 more, so next time I need a bottle, I'll probably go with Buffalo Trace.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Evan Williams is a decent inexpensive bourbon.
I much prefer Elijah Craig. Not the “regular” though. They have a “Barrel proof” that is my favorite. About 60.00 a bottle.
Makers Mark makes a “cask strength” that’s almost as good. But it’s only 40.00 a bottle! Great value.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-11-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Bourbon or whisky of choice?

Buffalo Trace is Pappy VW’s second label and is a great bourbon for its price.

We have several bourbons on hand at the house. Whenever we travel I’ll pick up a variety that aren’t carried in our home state. One of my favorites is Colonel E.H. Taylor. If you can find it, try it.
I’ve had a 10 year old Pappy which was good. A Van Winkle lives locally and swears the 15 is the best. It’s all personal taste after all.

A bourbon story:
My oldest brother is a dentist and a really kind human being. A friend called him one Sunday morning and asked him if he could help a friend who was visiting from out of town who had crushing tooth pain. My brother met them at his office and spent 4 hours treating/ fixing the dental problem. Apparently the gentleman needed a root canal (?).

Afterwards the patient asked my brother what he could do for him. My brother declined and told him to pay it forward. The patient responded that he was a liquor distributor and would like to gift him something. My brother mentioned that our 85 year old mother enjoyed bourbon and that if he would send her a bottle they could call it even.

A package arrived at my mom’s- a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Reserve 23 year old bourbon.

I didn’t know any of this had happened until I found an empty bottle ( it did have maybe 4 drops in it[emoji3]) in my moms liquor cabinet. Then my brother and she shared the story.

They said it was delicious. [emoji846]
Old 07-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm a wimp! Spiced rum for me please!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:28 PM

This being a guitar forum and all, I’m a bit surprised I haven’t seen anyone mention the Heaven’s Door line of whiskeys by Bob Dylan. I’m not a drinker myself but I’ve got a bottle of his straight rye whiskey here at the house waiting to be given to a friend as a gift. Hoping it won’t be a disappointment. Certainly was expensive enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic