The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
...I prefer to err on the side of conservative and wear a mask when I go outside my home and honor social distancing.

Tony
Me too, Tony. In addition, I use hand sanitizer after leaving a store...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Me too, Tony. In addition, I use hand sanitizer after leaving a store...
That is also a good idea.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The phrase "Loose lips sink ships" referred to spilling information that should not have been disclosed.

Two references:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...ips+sink+ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_lips_sink_ships

My guess as to the other difference you mention might be due to the threat posed to us in WWII being accepted as being real by a large segment of the population. From what I have read in history, there were dissenters and those who sympathized with the Germans and/or Japanese, but apparently were in the minority.

Based on what I read in these COVID-19 discussions and the dissention I see among folks in the media, my guess is that there is a large segment of the population who don't see COVID-19 as much of a threat. I am not saying this is fact, which is why I words such as "guess" and "might".

There is so much information, corrections to previously stated information, and opinion swirling around COVID-19, that I am at a loss to state anything factually, so I prefer to err on the side of conservative and wear a mask when I go outside my home and honor social distancing.

Tony
Yes I know where the phrase comes from, it was a euphemism.
My point is simply just because some people don't see a threat to themselves, their actions may harm others.
Epiphone Dot
Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
Yes I know where the phrase comes from, it was a euphemism.
My point is simply just because some people don't see a threat to themselves, their actions may harm others.
I don't see the connection with that phrase, but that is fine. I get what you are saying now that you explained what you meant.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Some people keep emphasizing what we don’t know.

Here is what we know: COVID-19 spreads easily and is devastating and deadly. It isn’t the flu. Cases are on the rise. Deaths have begun to tick upward again. Social distancing, masks, and good hygiene reduce its spread.

This is not a YMMV post. Those things are all verifiable facts. Scientists are still working on a lot of more specific details, but they are absolutely clear and in consensus about the above facts. After that comes all the speculation, armchair quarterbacking, homebrewed theories, ideology, etc..,, I’m afraid a lot of people really can’t see the forest for the trees.

Your friend,
The broken record
Old 07-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Some people keep emphasizing what we don’t know.

Here is what we know: COVID-19 spreads easily and is devastating and deadly. It isn’t the flu. Cases are on the rise. Deaths have begun to tick upward again. Social distancing, masks, and good hygiene reduce its spread.

This is not a YMMV post. Those things are all verifiable facts. Scientists are still working on a lot of more specific details, but they are absolutely clear and in consensus about the above facts. After that comes all the speculation, armchair quarterbacking, homebrewed theories, ideology, etc..,, I’m afraid a lot of people really can’t see the forest for the trees.

Your friend,
The broken record
I am emphasizing the flood of information, corrections to that information, and then the "speculation, armchair quarterbacking, homebrewed theories, ideology, etc.". That said, I can't disagree with your assessment in my case, but can't pass judgement on others. There is already far too much of that going on.

This is why I said "so I prefer to err on the side of conservative and wear a mask when I go outside my home and honor social distancing". Just in case I can't see the forest for the trees, I don't want to be a part of the problem for others. The things I said that I am doing are not so much for me, but for others that if I am a carrier, I am not infecting them.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

It seems difficult to argue with what's going on and the need to take precautionary steps; but members of The Flat Earth Society https://www.tfes.org believe the world is flat...

The United States saw another record day for new coronavirus cases, surpassing 70,000 for the first time, according to an NBC News tally Friday.

The record high follows multiple case peaks since June, including 45,557 single-day diagnoses reported June 24, a 45,942 one-day increase June 27 and more than 46,500 new cases recorded Tuesday.

Sunbelt states experiencing surges including California, Florida, Texas and Georgia contributed to the record tally. California reported 7,798 new cases Friday.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It seems difficult to argue with what's going on and the need to take precautionary steps; but members of The Flat Earth Society https://www.tfes.org believe the world is flat...

The United States saw another record day for new coronavirus cases, surpassing 70,000 for the first time, according to an NBC News tally Friday.

The record high follows multiple case peaks since June, including 45,557 single-day diagnoses reported June 24, a 45,942 one-day increase June 27 and more than 46,500 new cases recorded Tuesday.

Sunbelt states experiencing surges including California, Florida, Texas and Georgia contributed to the record tally. California reported 7,798 new cases Friday.
What does "new cases" actually refer to? Are those tested positive but not showing symptoms considered new cases, or is it limited to those admitted to the hospital or otherwise showing symptoms requiring medical attention?

I have no intention of joining the arguments here, but am just asking because I don't know. In other words, I am not asking rhetorical questions to indirectly pose an argument.

Thanks,

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does "new cases" actually refer to? Are those tested positive but not showing symptoms considered new cases, or is it limited to those admitted to the hospital or otherwise showing symptoms requiring medical attention?

I have no intention of joining the arguments here, but am just asking because I don't know. In other words, I am not asking rhetorical questions to indirectly pose an argument.

Thanks,

Tony
I could be wrong but assumed that a new case, let's say on Friday, was one that had not been previously identified as a patient with covid19 before that...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-11-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Tony
New cases are new positive tests. That's it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
New cases are new positive tests. That's it.
OK. So that would be the "umbrella" statistic covering anybody identified to be carrying the COVID-19 virus. The rest of the numbers would be breakdowns within that "umbrella" statistic. Anyway, that is then my understanding based on what you are saying. Please correct me if that is not the case.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
OK. So that would be the "umbrella" statistic covering anybody identified to be carrying the COVID-19 virus. The rest of the numbers would be breakdowns within that "umbrella" statistic. Anyway, that is then my understanding based on what you are saying. Please correct me if that is not the case.

Tony
Yes, but what other numbers would you be referring to?
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but what other numbers would you be referring to?
I am referring to the sites that post the numbers of new COVID-19 cases, number of deaths, number of those in intensive care. I am sure you must have seen those by now. They are often divided up by country and by state in the US.

If not, here are some of these sites:

https://covid2019stats.net/

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Locally for my state: https://mn.gov/covid19/

There are quite a number of these, so the above are just a sample. Folks in this ongoing thread are likewise throwing around all manner of statistics.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I am referring to the sites that post the numbers of new COVID-19 cases, number of deaths, number of those in intensive care. I am sure you must have seen those by now. They are often divided up by country and by state in the US.

If not, here are some of these sites:

https://covid2019stats.net/

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Locally for my state: https://mn.gov/covid19/

There are quite a number of these, so the above are just a sample. Folks in this ongoing thread are likewise throwing around all manner of statistics.

Tony
Yes, of course. It's like the total world population. And, the population of each city. And, the percentage of woman and demographic breakdown like most statistics.

New cases is the total number of positive tests in a day.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, of course. It's like the total world population. And, the population of each city. And, the percentage of woman and demographic breakdown like most statistics.

New cases is the total number of positive tests in a day.
Thanks. Now I have it straight in my mind.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic