The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 08:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A humble request for those who ship guitars...

Unless you're really not fond of the person you're shipping to, please consider an alternative to filling the box with styrofoam peanuts. There are much better options out there now. Here is my favorite, which is safe, neat and easily reused/recyclable (and much easier on our planet):

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ng-system.html

(I know there are far more important issues facing us these days. However, I just filled two large garbage bags with styrofoam peanuts from a guitar box, and corralling them was like corralling a thousand 10 year olds on a sugar high...)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:35 AM

I learned about the frustration of packing peanuts when I myself used them for my move to another city. I used peanuts for many of my household items in boxes.

Three months later, I was still chasing peanuts down at my destination place.

What do I use now? Bubble Wrap, custom engineered (my own) bracing and struts from flat corrugated cardboard sheets, newspaper, old ragged clothes.

Truth be told, packing material isn't cheap, so the sender would probably be inclined to use most economic methods and with materials already available.

I totally forgot about plastic air pillows, that's probably the best idea, but you'd have to have these saved, not sure if you can buy them inflated.

J
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Those things are a pain in the neck. I didn't know anyone was still using them?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

A confession: I’m a peanut packer.

Admittedly I’ve always been the shipper, not the receiver, of a peanut packed box. So I haven’t felt your pain. I also take detailed pictures of the packing process in case the buyer or shipper doubt my packing prowess should enroute damage occur. So far my buyers have regularly complimented my heavy handed technique in their Reverb reviews.

But I shall repent. I bought some of those StewMac boxes when they first came out. I intend to use them from now on. Well...eventually. I still have a few bags of peanuts to used. Have mercy on my soul...

Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I thought everyone knew we keep a bag of Styrofoam peanuts around specifically to pack things purchased by annoying buyers. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM

One big advantage of the peanuts for shipping odd shaped items like musical instruments is that they fill the spaces around the item completely and protect it well.

That said I agree that they are a PITA and very unfriendly environmentally

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 AM

I didn't realize you could by the air pillows in a roll and inflate them with a pump. That's what I would use, along with my custom engineered corrugated cardboard bracing.

Those Stew Mac kits seem expensive and something that can be bought separately (boxes, air pillows, bracing)

J
Old 07-10-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Unless you're really not fond of the person you're shipping to, please consider an alternative to filling the box with styrofoam peanuts. There are much better options out there now.
Spending my own 2¢ on the subject, the peanuts aren't terribly effective in the sense that with lot's of jostling during shipment, whatever's in the box will soon find it's way to the bottom leaving you only the outside layer of cardboard protecting what's inside. So if you're going to use the peanuts anyway, consider containing them in a plastic grocery bag so they'll cushion more effectively.

Just for fun, here's Larrivee's packing suggestions: https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Shippi...trument_v2.pdf

"Foam chips do not protect your instrument. The guitar will settle through the chips to the top or bottom of the box. This method can cause serious impact damage if the box is dropped. "
Old 07-10-2020, 08:53 AM

JPMIST, i like the suggestion to keep the peanuts contained in a bag, heck, you could use a plastic grocery bag (i've got millions of them that I save)

Thanks for the tip, never thought about that.

J

Amen to that. Those things are a menace and it's almost impossible to take the guitar out without peanuts going all over the floor. And they aren't easy to sweep up either.

I once made the mistake of trying to go outside to unpack and peanuts went all over the yard. Neighbors weren't happy either.

It boggles the mind that private sellers still refuse to simply use the same quality guitar boxes that Martin, Taylor, Gibson and Stew Mac offer. The Stew Mac system is well worth it (just received a guitar packed the Stew Mac way, and it is amazing).

You're using old clothes as packing material? You're using left over insulation? My goodness, that's just wrong.

Don't be so cheap! Ship like a pro guitar shop. Or at least tell potential buyers that you have no idea how to pack a guitar the correct way.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Musical minimalist

You can fill the small plastic grocery bags with peanuts in a pinch, but I always prefer mummifying the guitar in bubble wrap.

Anyone who's received an expensive guitar from me knows exactly what I mean

Old 07-10-2020, 08:59 AM

Bubble wrap is very expensive, but it is very effective.

Not sure if the air pillows are less expensive than bubble wrap? I would imagine so, since there is less plastic and more air and they don't come already inflated. I really like the air pillow roll.

Just as a side note, I would NEVER contemplate shipping a guitar with old ragged clothes. That was more just a PERSONAL MOVING METHOD mentioned that I used when moving furniture, appliances, electrics from one city to another in boxes.

Anyway,

J
Old 07-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

You're using left over insulation?

Good 4x8 foam insulation boards make for great packing, they
ain't cheap though, so "left over" is best ... the dense blue or
pink kind come in 1/2 inch, 1 inch and 2 inch thicknesses that
can be easily found at Home Depot or whatever.

The thing in the shipping box (say, your guitar in its case) needs
not to rattle around in the box. Putting some stuff in the guitar's
case so the guitar doesn't rattle around in there is good too.

-Mike
Old 07-10-2020, 09:11 AM

I do my share of buying and selling. I have the space to save and store incoming guitar shipping boxes and packing. I recycle all the boxes and packing. Nothing gets thrown away on my end. If I ever need to buy boxes or shipping material I'll certainly buy the Stewmac system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion