The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2020, 04:19 AM

Default FISHMAN ToneDEQ AFX Preamp

Anyone on here have any experience with this unit?
I have a Boss AD2 which does a job but i'm looking to upgrade as i like the idea of the effects on the Fishman and the analogue signal path.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:56 AM

Great sounding reverb, useful compressor, lightweight plastic box but still sturdy, can run a full gig on a 9 volt battery, but kind of expensive for something that does not include an IR.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-10-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Great sounding reverb, useful compressor, lightweight plastic box but still sturdy, can run a full gig on a 9 volt battery, but kind of expensive for something that does not include an IR.
Yeah the compressor is the effect i was most interested in on the pedal although i would have used the delays, reverb's are built into my amps so would probably not use them. I quite like the sound i get from my Boss AD 2 it takes most the quack from my LR Baggs VTC equipped Gibbo J45, and its so easy to use, but it is a bit of a processed sound. I would expect the Fishman to make my pick up sound better than the Boss for the price difference. Anyway thanks for the useful info.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 AM

It sounds great I have one. I've never used IR's in my life. My Taylor sounds great thru it.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
It sounds great I have one. I've never used IR's in my life. My Taylor sounds great thru it.
No, neither have i so that wouldn't affect my decision to buy, but i'm certainly interested in one, have you ever used the Boss AD2?
Old 07-10-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
No, neither have i so that wouldn't affect my decision to buy, but i'm certainly interested in one, have you ever used the Boss AD2?
I have a tonedeq on my pedalboard with an AD-2 also on the same board. They work well together.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 07-10-2020, 12:12 PM

I use one. The effects are very clean but a tad understated. Fine for me because I use them sparingly anyway. I have some other stand alone pedals that I use with the electric so I can get more pronounced effects when/if I want them by adding them to the chain.

The compressor is very "organic." You basically dial in the amount you need rather than adjusting a number of settings to taylor the sound in great detail. I thought I'd miss the control but it really has worked great for me. I actually enjoy the simplicity of it.

EQ is the standard low-mid-high freqs & work well. I have a Fishman ParaDI box with parametric controls but haven't needed it, yet. It also has a 3-position low cut filter that works great.

I love the boost! :-)

Works in a chain to an amp or as a stand-alone DI to the house system, or both at once! That allows you to use a small amp as a monitor & send a second, clean/wet signal to the house.

The general knock on the ToneDEQ is the lack of tuner/mute function but I use a Polytune3 (for the buffer function with my K&K pickups) anyway so that no big deal to me.

I looked very hard at some of the other multi-effect pedals out there & ended up with the ToneDEQ. The only one I liked better is the T-Rex SoulMate & that is almost double the cost. And the ToneDEQ ain't cheap! :-)

Still happy with my decision.

Frank
Old 07-10-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I have a tonedeq on my pedalboard with an AD-2 also on the same board. They work well together.
BTW, the AD-2 is a fixed IR device. IMO Zoom pioneered useful fixed IRs for general purpose acoustic application. Fishman perfected fixed IRs csutomized on a per guitar/pickup combination basis that can run on a battery. And ToneDexter perfected a complete DIY custom IR solution.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-10-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Now your just making me want to buy one!!

Thanks for the replies chaps seems people who have them certainly like them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification