The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
So many threads about what guitar I should buy, what is the best sounding guitar, what strings are best...etc.

I'm in my 70's and been there, done that, far too many times. Is it just a young person thing that these issues keep coming up? Every thread like these ends up with 'personal' opinions, as they should, and who knows how useful the info is to the OP. Yes, I know, I don't have to click on and read those threads and for the most part I don't but, well, you know, I'm just killing time rather than picking up my guitar to play stuff after all so...

Maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways [read opinions] and the constant repetition of the same stuff just rankles me. ...putting on my flame retardant suit and, yes, I also know I shouldn't post after a couple of single malts
We all have to make our own mistakes. Buying a "serious" guitar" is aiming at a moving target, as we are all developing out styles and our needs. It took me probably 20 years to discover exactly what I needed in a guitar.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
And somebody swung by your house and taught you the secret handshake and gave you your decoder ring, right?

whm
They tried but I told ‘em to get off my lawn
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 AM

Perfect!
Welcome to The Club
Old 07-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Have you ever been on a car forum? Truck forum? Gun Forum? Coin forum? Beer forum? Cigar forum?

Motorcycle forum: What's the best oil?
Guitar forum: What're the best strings?

Motorcycle forum: What're the best tires?
Guitar forum: What's the best tone wood?

BBQ forum: What's the best BBQ?
total chaos ensues, the internet comes to a halt...

-Mike "Circle-M, hwy 178, Anderson SC "
Old 07-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

If there were code written that would block a post and send the poster a message that the topic had been discussed fifty times, then refer links to the topic, all forums would cease to exist in short order. I sometimes throw out topics just for the fun of seeing how many folks want to discuss a topic . I posted on another forum, What is vintage?. Sixty eight posts later, the answer is obvious. One third cranky old geezers who are tired of the subject, one third geezers happy to pass on the wisdom of the ages, and one third people with nothing better to do. Thus, the forum thrives, and two or three people learn something.

Now one thing is certain, Blue Chip picks rule. OK, two things. Dreads are the only guitar worth owning. OK, three things. Rosewood is superior.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I click on the threads that grab my interest. I wish I had the time to read everything, but I'm a drive by reader and poster so I only read what draws me in.

There is a ton of useful information here. I'm in my 40's, but I've been playing since I was 11, so I fall into the same category as you when it comes to much of the content, but if it is interesting, educational, etc to someone, that's a good thing. I've learned a good deal on here since I first came around, and I had been playing 30 years when I showed up.

I would have laughed at the suggestion of purchasing an acoustic guitar online 3 years ago. I still prefer not to go that route, especially with tons of music stores within 50 miles of me, and most of them within 25 miles, but those here on the forum who live in more rural areas and are more dependent on online purchases convinced me that it is not such a bad thing. I have purchased 3 acoustic guitars online since I joined AGF. All 3 purchases turned out great.

For me the best opinions based threads revolve around a very specific item, whether it is a model of guitar, or an accessory. Sometimes suggestions for a specific style of playing, preferably including a size category can be interesting too...Its the open ended, non specific questions that can be a bit difficult to follow.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes, you are an old fart. There's nothing wrong with that. The way I look at it is that anyone that is judging me in that manner will be well blessed to make it to my age and be in my blessed situation. I've seen the statistics. Good luck!

Life's like a demolition derby. The longer it goes on the fewer survive and those that do are pretty beat up and not getting along so well.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Mike, an upcountry bucker from the western reaches of South Carolina, wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Have you ever been on a car forum? Truck forum? Gun Forum? Coin forum? Beer forum? Cigar forum?

Motorcycle forum: What's the best oil?
Guitar forum: What're the best strings?

Motorcycle forum: What're the best tires?
Guitar forum: What's the best tone wood?

BBQ forum: What's the best BBQ?
total chaos ensues, the internet comes to a halt...

-Mike "Circle-M, hwy 178, Anderson SC "
Oh, you poor naïf! The best barbecue in the known universe is Gates in Kansas City!

˙˙˙

A more recent upstart that has become increasingly popular is KC Joe's:

Kansas City, where barbecue is not only a type of cooking but is closer to a religion....

I hope this broadens your horizons and furthers your barbecue education!

Wade Hampton "Born In KC" Miller
Old 07-12-2020, 06:20 AM

Yes, pretty old! I'm only 69.

I'm on three forums and there is always a progression from knowing very little and soaking up a great deal from generous forum members that share their collective wisdom - to slowly becoming knowledgeable enough to have something to share.

Certainly you don't need to respond to every "which strings should I buy" post, but it's really a privilege to have something worth sharing.

I love learning, and there are few posts that don't have something to offer. I am incredibly grateful that people with lots of experience take the time to share their knowledge.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

One aspect I take advantage of, here on AGF, is learning from the more energetic crowd. I let them spend their money and do the trial and error work with the new stage guitar/sound equipment. That stuff changes weekly and they love to spend their money and efforts A/Bing everything trying it out. So I gain from that. Work smarter not harder is something I learned along time ago. When possible always let someone else do the leg work and wait for the short list of choices.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Yes, pretty old! I'm only 69.

I'm on three forums and there is always a progression from knowing very little and soaking up a great deal from generous forum members that share their collective wisdom - to slowly becoming knowledgeable enough to have something to share.

Certainly you don't need to respond to every "which strings should I buy" post, but it's really a privilege to have something worth sharing.

I love learning, and there are few posts that don't have something to offer. I am incredibly grateful that people with lots of experience take the time to share their knowledge.

Nicely said!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:19 AM

@Wade
" Oh, you poor naïf! The best barbecue in the known universe is Gates in Kansas City!"

I'll give you a hearty "HI MAY I HELP YOU?" shoutout, if that makes you feel nostalgic.
I've lived here in KC my whole old-fart life, and have yet to make it to every BBQ joint in town.

Yes, those "which is best" discussions seem repetitive, but its always new to someone.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
....Now one thing is certain, Blue Chip picks rule. OK, two things. Dreads are the only guitar worth owning. OK, three things. Rosewood is superior.
Now them's fightin' words to the fingerpicking, non-rosewood owning, 000 crowd. I'll meet you outside.....

I am always tempted to respond to the "best strings" threads with --- "well duh, guitar strings". But that would not be very constructive or helpful. Mama's advice of "if you can't say something nice (or useful) then don't say anything" usually prevails. I did say usually.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion