The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-04-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Your knowledge about the intricacies of "audiophilia nervosa" is uncanny. And to have 15 audiophiles packed into my living room, rocking back and forth in their chairs mumbling to themselves as they decry my choice of music, cables and solid state vs. tube might have been a bridge too far in this delicate time that we humans call, "a pandemic".
It's just like guitars or any other subject, really. I simply applied my vast knowledge of bridge pins and viola!

How many audiophiles does it take to change a record? I don't know, but I'm willing to bet they couldn't keep quiet long enough to get through 1 song.

The image you conjured up of a bunch of hi-fi fans quiet appraising all your gear and musical choices gave me shudders. I do have cable insecurity at times. It's complicated!

But 15 wiretappers listening to vinyl in one room, why, that'd have to be a record! Get it? Record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Thank you beery beery much compliment server!
Thank you. Give everyone at your party an out of the blue compliment to decode and it'll be the best ever. Well it'll be the best ever any which way, but that'll take it to the toppermost of the poppermost.

I'll mention that a popular coffee place in Halifax is named after you: Steve-O-Reno's Cappuccino. They make good coffee. Next time I'm there I'll think of you, and ask whomever's working there what they are listening to and if they know you.

Happy Birthday.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Never forget that tubes cook those little COVIDs, while solid state just gives them yet another place to migrate and multiply.

Tony
So nice of you to be concerned with where the COVIDs can shelter. Hardly anyone can be that magnanimous. Poor little COVIDs. They didn't ask to be so invasive, they just got stuck with it and are doing the best they can.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

How generous you are, mc1, to put your compliment server to work for the good folks on the AGF! I hope all is well for you out there in rather cold Nova Scotia! It has been fairly cold out here in coastal Washington State, too!

- Glenn
Old 07-08-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
How generous you are, mc1, to put your compliment server to work for the good folks on the AGF! I hope all is well for you out there in rather cold Nova Scotia! It has been fairly cold out here in coastal Washington State, too!

- Glenn
Glenn, many a night I go to sleep hoping you'll ask for a compliment. And here we are!

Unbelievably munificent of you to compliment me, who is content to simply bask in the pleasure of having a chair to sit in, if you can call an old log a chair. So glad there's oxygen, too, and lot's of it! Whew! What a time to be alive!

Ah, Nova Scotia, it's cold, but it's a damp, humid cold, so that helps.

But I deviate and ramble, as is my wont. But what I really want is to tell you how selfless you are, thinking about the various geographical zones and their weather. I bet in the forefront of your mind is all the guitars and their humidity levels. Makes me anxious, but I'm not as cool and collected as you are. Just take it one dehumidified guitar at a time, then count to ten, I tell myself. That's one of my mantras. Phew.

To be honest, I haven't really been giving coastal Washington State enough of my attention lately, what with such a big world. So beautiful, and so much rain, or rainbow generators, if you can just wipe the drops off your glasses and glimpse their potential.

I love the cold, it's so cozy. Well, not really. But I like to think it enjoys others being cozy, so it makes them cold in the hopes it can hang around and relish it vicariously.

Imagine, for a moment, if you will, that the whole civilized world was composed solely of Glennwillows. What a world it would be, albeit short lived, in terms of society. But for that brief moment, so fun, so respectful, so graceful, so amazing. Well, that's crazy, but that's what I think when I read a post of yours.

Say Hi to the other Willow triplets (is it Ben and Ken?). I hope they are well and still tap dancing!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Glenn, many a night I go to sleep hoping you'll ask for a compliment. And here we are!

Unbelievably munificent of you to compliment me, who is content to simply bask in the pleasure of having a chair to sit in, if you can call an old log a chair. So glad there's oxygen, too, and lot's of it! Whew! What a time to be alive!

Ah, Nova Scotia, it's cold, but it's a damp, humid cold, so that helps.

But I deviate and ramble, as is my wont. But what I really want is to tell you how selfless you are, thinking about the various geographical zones and their weather. I bet in the forefront of your mind is all the guitars and their humidity levels. Makes me anxious, but I'm not as cool and collected as you are. Just take it one dehumidified guitar at a time, then count to ten, I tell myself. That's one of my mantras. Phew.

To be honest, I haven't really been giving coastal Washington State enough of my attention lately, what with such a big world. So beautiful, and so much rain, or rainbow generators, if you can just wipe the drops off your glasses and glimpse their potential.

I love the cold, it's so cozy. Well, not really. But I like to think it enjoys others being cozy, so it makes them cold in the hopes it can hang around and relish it vicariously.

Imagine, for a moment, if you will, that the whole civilized world was composed solely of Glennwillows. What a world it would be, albeit short lived, in terms of society. But for that brief moment, so fun, so respectful, so graceful, so amazing. Well, that's crazy, but that's what I think when I read a post of yours.

Say Hi to the other Willow triplets (is it Ben and Ken?). I hope they are well and still tap dancing!
Isn’t that the truth! Then again, what would we mods have to do? Btw Glenn, there’s a song in there for you to tackle!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 PM

Best thread on the internet. The secret to life is actually contained in this thread.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
IsnÂ’t that the truth! Then again, what would we mods have to do? Btw Glenn, there’s a song in there for you to tackle!
Tom, seems like every morning I wake up and think, "How does Tom wake up?". Then I chastise myself for the meaningless comparisons.

When I was younger, I kinda used to wish all other people in the world were like me. Seriously. I now wonder if everyone thinks the world would be better if everyone else was like them.

That's a hard question. But hard questions are what move us forward. And here you are, Tom, asking the hardest of the hard questions.

Isn't that the truth? Wow, philosophers from Descartes to Judge Judy have asked that. And where has it gotten them. Closer to the truth? Who knows.

What would the mods have to do if all the members were Glennwillow? That's easy: dance and laugh and sing!

And Tom, in regards to the "there's a song or you to tackle" quote, what a bold, relieving, and shrewd comment! Indeed that is a song for Glenn to tackle. As we all must tackle the lineup of facing ourselves in a rugby match. Who would win? What is the over/under when we face ourselves? I know, but each of us must look inward...

The real point here, Tom, is how you in no way asked for glory, you deflected it, and in that way, you merit glory yourself. The true august moderator. I salute you.

Last edited by mc1; 07-08-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tom, seems like every morning I wake up and think, "How does Tom wake up?". Then I chastise myself for the meaningless comparisons.

When I was younger, I kinda used to wish all other people in the world were like me. Seriously. I now wonder if everyone thinks the world would be better if everyone else was like them.

That's a hard question. But hard questions are what move us forward. And here you are, Tom, asking the hardest of the hard questions.

Isn't that the truth? Wow, philosophers from Descartes to Judge Judy have asked that. And where has it gotten them. Closer to the truth? Who knows.

What would the mods have to do if all the members were Glennwillow? That's easy 0 dance and laugh and sing!

And Tom, in regards to the "there's a song or you to tackle" quote, what a bold, relieving, and shrewd comment! Indeed that is a song for Glenn to tackle. As we all must tackle the lineup of facing ourselves in a rugby match. Who would win? What is the over/under when we face ourselves? I know, but each of us must look inward...

The real point here, Tom, is how you in no way asked for glory, you deflected it, and in that way, you merit glory yourself. The true august moderator. I salute you.
There can be only one truth. Unfortunately, none of us seem to have found it. However, it is the silent ones, the lurkers who never post (is that redundant??) that could have found the truth and simply won't tell anybody.

How weird is that?

Personally, I am glad other people aren't like me (though liking me is fine, even better than fine).

You aksed: What would the mods have to do if all the members were Glennwillow?

The answer to that is that the mods' job would be easy because there is only one Glennwillow, so the entire forum would consist of one person. Does a mostly empty forum echo like a large empty room? Another question for the mods to ponder.

The truth is out there...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Ahhh, shucks! Morgan, I’m getting in my car and heading for my home province of Nova Scotia! There’s gotta be something in the water that causes such wit, humour and brilliance! Or maybe it’s just in your genes. See ya in about 14 hours!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Best thread on the internet. The secret to life is actually contained in this thread.
loco gringo, your username is asombroso. If one takes a zen approach, as I often do, 20 out of 24 hours a day, there is no best. What is best? Nothing and everything. Think about it, then think about it some more. Ok, some thing are better than others, in some ways. But I'll appreciate a faded flower in the dust. And the dust, too, because it give contrast (to the flower)

You are very sagacious.

The secret to life is indeed contained in this thread. But you know that. It's actually in the spaces between the words, right after the punctuation. Increase the size if you can't find it. It's right here -> .

Or it's in having fun and just enjoying whatever is in front of you. It's right in front of you. Just look. There's wonder, magic, splendor! Just look. If you can't see it, don't blame the splendor, look harder.

Just enjoy. Our lives are so short, like mayflys in the wind. We grow older, and hopefully wiser, but int the end, it's Dm. Don't be out of tune when the Dm is rung.

Thank you, loco gringo, for reminding me what is precious. Best reply ever.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There can be only one truth. Unfortunately, none of us seem to have found it. However, it is the silent ones, the lurkers who never post (is that redundant??) that could have found the truth and simply won't tell anybody.

How weird is that?

Personally, I am glad other people aren't like me (though liking me is fine, even better than fine).

You asked: What would the mods have to do if all the members were Glennwillow?

The answer to that is that the mods' job would be easy because there is only one Glennwillow, so the entire forum would consist of one person. Does a mostly empty forum echo like a large empty room? Another question for the mods to ponder.

The truth is out there...

Tony
Actually, science has proven there are 3.5 truths. Unfortunately, only 0.75 are available to human consciousness. Which, if you think about it, is more than enough.

The silent ones. The vocal minority. The unknown posters. So glad you brought them up, because their voice is clearly the loudest, if you listen really hard.

And what kind of person has found the truth but won't tell anyone? Who would do that? The answer, my friend, is all of us.

So weird. In fact, so weird it must be true. It only makes sense.

You mention you are glad others aren't like you. That is an evolved state, for sure. I like you, otherwise why would I be here?

The truth is over there, sadly, in a heap. It's our job to sort out the Glennwillows and the tbeltrans and extricate and exult them.

Tony, you are my teacher.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ahhh, shucks! Morgan, I’m getting in my car and heading for my home province of Nova Scotia! There’s gotta be something in the water that causes such wit, humour and brilliance! Or maybe it’s just in your genes. See ya in about 14 hours!
Tom, OMG, I think you're coming from Florida, which, well, is full of free spirits and other stuff. Do drop by soon, I'm busy for the next 13 days.

I'm out in the country, where the water is from a well - well, very well. Some of my pipes have some really cool colors around them, and a plumber once told me they were from various metals and minerals! So I'm kind of bright blue and green inside! Makes me feel like I don't need a daily vitamin.

But I love your energy and engagement. That's what make you a special person.

14 hours, maybe you're driving a little fast. Or already in Canada!

See you soon, I'll start the kettle in 13 hours, and put it on the lawn. Strum a big G chord when you arrive,
Old 07-08-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
loco gringo, your username is asombroso. If one takes a zen approach, as I often do, 20 out of 24 hours a day, there is no best. What is best? Nothing and everything. Think about it, then think about it some more. Ok, some thing are better than others, in some ways. But I'll appreciate a faded flower in the dust. And the dust, too, because it give contrast (to the flower)

You are very sagacious.

The secret to life is indeed contained in this thread. But you know that. It's actually in the spaces between the words, right after the punctuation. Increase the size if you can't find it. It's right here -> .

Or it's in having fun and just enjoying whatever is in front of you. It's right in front of you. Just look. There's wonder, magic, splendor! Just look. If you can't see it, don't blame the splendor, look harder.

Just enjoy. Our lives are so short, like mayflys in the wind. We grow older, and hopefully wiser, but int the end, it's Dm. Don't be out of tune when the Dm is rung.

Thank you, loco gringo, for reminding me what is precious. Best reply ever.
Morgan, you are a hoot of the FIRST degree!

Long Live mc1.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
We grow older, and hopefully wiser, but in the end, it's Dm. Don't be out of tune when the Dm is rung.
Wisdom, right here, folks. Pure wisdom.

Bumper stickers should be issued.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So nice of you to be concerned with where the COVIDs can shelter. Hardly anyone can be that magnanimous. Poor little COVIDs. They didn't ask to be so invasive, they just got stuck with it and are doing the best they can.
Their best isn't good enough - we are still alive. Lucky us!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic