The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farantouri View Post
I have a Maton EBG 808TE Guitar. Do you think the sound from the guitar would be even better with at sub connected to the Laney AH4x4? Or wouldnt a sub be necessary with only a guitar and vocal?
Just record 1min direct and send me a google drive/dropbox link with the file.

I will play it through and record it so you can compare.

PS: By the way, hen doing it can you also record the guitar with an external mic simulateneously? And send me both tracks separately (either a stereo file with mic panned left and pickup panned right, or with 2 separated wav files)

I don't have the Maton EBG 808TE in my IR database! Would love to.
Cheers,
Cuki
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 07-01-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Onemanband Onemanband is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Jbl eon one compact
+1
I have both JBL Eon One Compact and a Bose S1. Both are excellent, but the JBL has far more options....thoroughly recommended!
__________________

Guild SF-ST/12stringCH.
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Avalon S32-12
Fender "Classic Parlour"
Banjo/Cricket Bat

Last edited by Onemanband; 07-01-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 36
Default

If you want 3 channels, in relation to price, i would buy the Laney AH4x4 or the Harley Benton Streetbox-60 (would be great to compare them) in the 300-350 dollars/euro zone, the JBL Eon One Compact in the 550 dollars zone, and the EAE if you can afford more.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM
farantouri farantouri is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default

Btw; are there any 3-channel PA without bluetooth and/or battery in the price range between 3-400euro that have better sound than those "portable" ones listed in this thread?

Bluetooh would be nice to have, but not sure if I need batttery.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farantouri View Post
Btw; are there any 3-channel PA without bluetooth and/or battery in the price range between 3-400euro that have better sound than those "portable" ones listed in this thread?

Bluetooh would be nice to have, but not sure if I need batttery.
Honestly something that sounds good with two vocals needs usually biamped 2-way. Given your budget and the fact we pay bigger money for imported gear in Europe. It is really tough.

The best bang for the buck I can think of is CP8 + splitter cable. But you will have no EQ control and no separate volume setting on vocals. Ask JonFields45. It is already 435€ + cable.

For me you have to find a 2nd hand acus/sr tech/EAE.

Problem is:
* single speaker wide range stuff (ex:Most entry level acoustic amps) don’t sound good on vocals... so 2 vocals will be worse.
* you usually need an 8 inch if you have a male voice to render a nice low end or a high-pass filter to just get rid of it. Most amps don’t provide those with this kind of money. (Note that smaller speakers can sound great when they are many and in a closed box... like the AH4X4. But the Laney does not try to sound bigger than what it is... unlike most acoustic amps that use bass reflex to have hyped low end, when using 5 or 6 inch speakers the bass reflex can be tuned to frequency high enough to fart with some male voice... therefore the need for a high pass filter)
* there are cheap Chinese copy of everything... But it will probably not sound as good and be reliable.

How loud do you want to be?
What is the size of the typical room you want to play in?

If you send me a recording, I can record a comparison JBL eon one compact vs AH4x4 with/without sub with your two vocals and guitar.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 07-02-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-02-2020, 04:54 AM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 36
Default

If you dont need battery you might have a look at LD Systems Mix 10 A G3, you get mixer with 3 mic input, 3 -band master eq, fx, 10" woofer plus 1" tweeter for about 400 € at Thomann or the smaller LD System Mix 6 A G3 for 220 €. I never tested them but they have quite good reviews
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
If you dont need battery you might have a look at LD Systems Mix 10 A G3, you get mixer with 3 mic input, 3 -band master eq, fx, 10" woofer plus 1" tweeter for about 400 € at Thomann or the smaller LD System Mix 6 A G3 for 220 €. I never tested them but they have quite good reviews
Nice. I was looking for Yamaha gear but it came too expansive. The LD system Mix should be worth trying. Also there are quite easy to find in Europe.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:28 AM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 36
Default

It might be worth considering for little less than 400 € also the very new (not yet available) italian PROEL V10FREE, battery powered, 200 W RMS, 10" woofer + 1" hf, 3 channels, echo, bluetooth, 2 band eq... quite powerfull for a battery powered system and with big li-on battery https://www.promusicstore.it/en/audio/proel-v10free
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM
farantouri farantouri is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
If you dont need battery you might have a look at LD Systems Mix 10 A G3, you get mixer with 3 mic input, 3 -band master eq, fx, 10" woofer plus 1" tweeter for about 400 € at Thomann or the smaller LD System Mix 6 A G3 for 220 €. I never tested them but they have quite good reviews
This seem very interesting. I think I do not need battery. Mostly I will play on places where its power outlet.
But there arent many review on that PA? I couldt find that many, except this https://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mix_10_a_g3.htm

Last edited by farantouri; 07-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Kabi Kabi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 36
Default

For the 6" version a nice review by Vinnie Valentino https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxi0aUgbmg and for the 10" version this deep review but in German https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcREk27xoD8
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
Default

I never tried the 6 but I have seen it in a shop and it is VERY VERY small.

I would definitely try first to amply 2 vocals and a guitar before buying.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-03-2020, 09:18 AM
farantouri farantouri is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default

What do you think about this..?
https://www.ljudia.no/produkter/hoyt...ke/leem-tw210a
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farantouri View Post
You must try and compare. Honestly there are many Bose like cheap stick PA. They all have good and bad reviews like anything on the internet.

I have never seen any in a shop. I had an old cheep LEEM mixer 23 years ago.. that sounded Proportionally to how much it cost...
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:09 PM
lkingston lkingston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 2,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Honestly something that sounds good with two vocals needs usually biamped 2-way. Given your budget and the fact we pay bigger money for imported gear in Europe. It is really tough.

The best bang for the buck I can think of is CP8 + splitter cable. But you will have no EQ control and no separate volume setting on vocals. Ask JonFields45. It is already 435€ + cable.

For me you have to find a 2nd hand acus/sr tech/EAE.

Problem is:
* single speaker wide range stuff (ex:Most entry level acoustic amps) don’t sound good on vocals... so 2 vocals will be worse.
* you usually need an 8 inch if you have a male voice to render a nice low end or a high-pass filter to just get rid of it. Most amps don’t provide those with this kind of money. (Note that smaller speakers can sound great when they are many and in a closed box... like the AH4X4. But the Laney does not try to sound bigger than what it is... unlike most acoustic amps that use bass reflex to have hyped low end, when using 5 or 6 inch speakers the bass reflex can be tuned to frequency high enough to fart with some male voice... therefore the need for a high pass filter)
* there are cheap Chinese copy of everything... But it will probably not sound as good and be reliable.

How loud do you want to be?
What is the size of the typical room you want to play in?

If you send me a recording, I can record a comparison JBL eon one compact vs AH4x4 with/without sub with your two vocals and guitar.
The D6-8 has wonderful EQs on every channel with sweepable high pass filters (in addition to three band EQ with sweepable mids). It also has this same EQ on the line outs if you use it with powered speakers. There are also channel limiters.

The vocal sound you get from this amp is really good!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-08-2020, 12:51 AM
Nama Ensou Nama Ensou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 910
Default

How would you determine whether to go with the D6-8 MkII or D6-58? Really interested in one of these, either as an alternative to my HK 608i, or an easier to operate replacement. I know there's the power difference, but really like the plain input from others who have used a product rather than just what the company itself says for recommendations. Love the 608i, but it's a lot of stuff to haul in for an acoustic solo gig and it would also be nice to have all controls onboard as opposed to having to run/setup the iPad too.
__________________
Adamas 1581, 1587, 1881, SMT - PRS Cu22, Ibanez JEM-FP, S540, RG550, Fender Stratocaster
Heil PR-35 : Audio Technica AE-6100, ATM5R : Beyer TG-V90r : Sennheiser 441, 609, 845, 906 : ElectroVoice ND767
JBL Eon One, Bose L1 Model II, QSC K12
Friedman DS40, Marshall 6101, 401, RedPlate Phoenix, Splawn Street Rod, Budda SD18

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 07-09-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=