The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings

Hey guys i've been seeing alot of rave reviews over these cobalt strings that ernie ball are making, people seem to love them.

https://www.ernieball.com.au/guitar-...guitar-strings

I'm thinking about trying a set on my strat to see what they're like in comparison to the regular ernie ball strings ive got on it at the moment.

Anyone ever tried these cobalt strings before?
Old 06-26-2020, 04:30 AM

Hi, yes, I've used them quite a bit.

They do what they are marketed to do.

Out of all the "new" string formulas and such that have been marketed over the last few years, these seem to stand out to be exactly what they are hyped to be.

More responsive, better touch sensitivity, a bit more output and put a little more umph behind what your pickups are capable of doing. it's your tone, but MORE of it if that makes any sense?

They look strange (they're kind of dull compared to non-cobalt strings) and they will feel a bit odd when you first put them on, but after a bit of a break in period, (a few hours of play time) they will loose that feel.

Once they settle, they seem quite stable tuning wise, (at least they have been for me) They also seem to have a reasonably longer life than other strings.

I would definitely recommend to at least to try and see what you think.

I haven't used them for about a year or so now, I found a good deal on D'Addario XL110s so I've been burning through those, but my next string restock for electrics, I'll probably get a few sets.

/ray
Old 06-27-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Cobalt strings

Yup, I use them a lot. Although I think my Strat was the one guitar I never tried them on. But a few observances from my set of ears:

- Analogy: There are some tube amps that are so refined in their responsiveness that if you make a mistake, it will let you know….they are very unforgiving. I kinda felt that way a little bit with these strings, particularly when they were new. They do feel more sensitive than the typical nickel wounds. Not a bad thing though….make me work for it. Weird/good thing I hear with these is tails at the end of solo notes seem to “howl” and sustain a little more if that makes sense. …just a strange observation

- Used on a guitar with super-hot humbuckers, they are hit and miss. Generally – miss. I tried them (9 – 42) on my Les Paul with a 17.5K ohm bridge pickup and it was over the top awful. The previous pickup was 10K and they weren’t bad. They were great on my Tele… They were also great on a Jackson, as long as I was switched to one or both of the single coils, but that one also has a 16K humbucker, and it was overly bright. Two other players I know well that use them exclusively play guitars with single coil & P90s, so it's a good trend for your Strat I guess.

- Believe it or not, the biggest difference I tend to hear with these is not the nickel to cobalt change, but the different gauges in the same cobalt strings. Back to the Les Paul, I swapped the gauge to 12 -56 as I now keep that tuned a step down and the strings sound completely different. With that setup, I love them. This is an overlooked thing with any electric string, but the gauge difference – sonic difference with these was more pronounced than the nickel wounds.

All in all, I think it’s a great string. Like RMP said, they certainly do what they are advertised to do and I’d echo his other experiences with them as well. I think you’d probably like them on your Strat. If I had any advice, I’d go with the largest gauge you like to play with…they do seem to be a little more balanced, at least to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys i've been seeing alot of rave reviews over these cobalt strings that ernie ball are making, people seem to love them.

https://www.ernieball.com.au/guitar-...guitar-strings

I'm thinking about trying a set on my strat to see what they're like in comparison to the regular ernie ball strings ive got on it at the moment.

Anyone ever tried these cobalt strings before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Hi, yes, I've used them quite a bit.

They do what they are marketed to do.

Out of all the "new" string formulas and such that have been marketed over the last few years, these seem to stand out to be exactly what they are hyped to be.

More responsive, better touch sensitivity, a bit more output and put a little more umph behind what your pickups are capable of doing. it's your tone, but MORE of it if that makes any sense?

They look strange (they're kind of dull compared to non-cobalt strings) and they will feel a bit odd when you first put them on, but after a bit of a break in period, (a few hours of play time) they will loose that feel.

Once they settle, they seem quite stable tuning wise, (at least they have been for me) They also seem to have a reasonably longer life than other strings.

I would definitely recommend to at least to try and see what you think.

I haven't used them for about a year or so now, I found a good deal on D'Addario XL110s so I've been burning through those, but my next string restock for electrics, I'll probably get a few sets.

/ray
Old 06-27-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post
Yup, I use them a lot. Although I think my Strat was the one guitar I never tried them on. But a few observances from my set of ears:

- Analogy: There are some tube amps that are so refined in their responsiveness that if you make a mistake, it will let you know….they are very unforgiving. I kinda felt that way a little bit with these strings, particularly when they were new. They do feel more sensitive than the typical nickel wounds. Not a bad thing though….make me work for it. Weird/good thing I hear with these is tails at the end of solo notes seem to “howl” and sustain a little more if that makes sense. …just a strange observation
That is spot on, if anyone's played through a CLASS A tube amp, they'd get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars