The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 AM

Default Replacing an LR Baggs LB6 with a Bone Saddle

Hi Everyone

Just wanting to take my 1975 D28 back to original. I understand that the saddle slot had to be slightly made wider to accomodate an LB6 to 1/8'. Has anyone here made this retrofit and if so can you tell me what you went through. I will have it done by a luthier (Im in Melbourne, Australia) but just want best procedure. Probably don't want to fill and recut the saddle slot, so am assuming I would need a 1/8" saddle replacement. Any recommendations?

Also re End Pin. I still have the original but left with 1/2" hole from the LB6 installation. Best way to proceed on this?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-12-2020, 06:04 AM

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...ak-endpin.html
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJMusicOz View Post
Hi Everyone

Just wanting to take my 1975 D28 back to original. I understand that the saddle slot had to be slightly made wider to accomodate an LB6 to 1/8'. Has anyone here made this retrofit and if so can you tell me what you went through. I will have it done by a luthier (Im in Melbourne, Australia) but just want best procedure. Probably don't want to fill and recut the saddle slot, so am assuming I would need a 1/8" saddle replacement. Any recommendations?

Also re End Pin. I still have the original but left with 1/2" hole from the LB6 installation. Best way to proceed on this?

Thanks,

Bill
Hi Bill

My Olson Dreadnought wore an LB-6 for 11 years. When I had it changed back to a bone saddle, I appreciated the extra depth when it came to compensating it for intonation. Even more I appreciated the change in the tone! I had never heard my Olson without the LB-6 (ordered it that way) and it was a striking difference in the acoustic tone. Didn't know it could sound better, and was glad when it did.

I had the LB-6 and internal mic (Baggs Duo with sound hole adjustment) replaced with a K&K Pure Mini and internal mic.

My conversion work was done by a luthier (yes he builds guitars), and it not only sounded better acoustically - which makes sense, but it also intoned more closely.

The LB-6 was a good idea (6 individual aligned sensors) but it was still very piezo-ish without the benefit of a solid preamp. The K&K dual source with a decent preamp was as big a step up in 'natural' sound electronically as swapping out the saddle was acoustically.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-12-2020, 10:55 PM

Thanks Larry - much appreciated. So your new saddle was cut from scratch to be wider and deeper?
Cant wait to hear it minus the LB6.
Bill
Old 07-12-2020, 10:59 PM

Thanks Jon re the StewMac link to a NoJak Endpin. I am aware of these but seeing as this is going to be permanent, I'm hoping to get the hole plugged with some rosewood and re-drilled for the original strap pin I still have.
Bill
Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJMusicOz View Post
Thanks Larry - much appreciated. So your new saddle was cut from scratch to be wider and deeper?
Cant wait to hear it minus the LB6.
Bill
Billy

Yes, the luthier removed the LB-6 and cut the new saddle to fit the slot. It was his recommendation since I want intonation adjusted closely, and the deeper saddle gave him more room to adjust.

It also provides more contact with the bottom of the bridge. He builds his guitars with deeper saddles, and the results were amazing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 PM

Thanks Larry - all makes perfect sense
Bill
www.billjacksonmusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
lb6, lrbaggs, martin d-28, replace