The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Taylor 717e BE + ES2 + Tonedexter + SM57 = Fun/Smile

I played the Taylor 717e acoustically for about an hour, had a short rest, cup of tea....then plugged in to my Tonedexter and played using the wavefile I made last year using my old Shure SM57.

ES2 is good but I wouldn’t play anywhere with it, though thousands do! But TD brings it to life.

It is a joyous thing - sounds like I am using a 57 on the guitar, to me....
My best sound results have been with the ES2 volume on full and a few drastic cuts of the bass/treble. I fingerpicked through a range of material from country to blues, slow to fast. Excellent!

I would love to spend an hour or so playing through a large PA to test it, but we are in lockdown.

My small, small complaint about the guitar is that I am hearing the micarta saddle, I think, and would like to change it to bone...nut too, but the playability/factory setup is just so good, still, that I am really reluctant to fiddle!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 07-11-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:11 AM

Good to hear you’re having fun!

I like the ES2 a lot and gigged with my Taylor this Saturday. I don’t have a Tonedexter (it’s on my list...) but use a TC Body Rez which partners very well with the ES2. I was also using my Furch OM34sr with Pure Mini and that sounds great too with the Body Rez.

When I upgraded to ES2 from ES1.3 I knew about the bridge saddle change because it supposedly works better with the ES2’s sensors. I noticed a slight drop off in the very low end acoustically/unplugged. I wonder what the plugged in tone would have been like if they’d retained the Tusq saddle. I am also considering a bone saddle to see if I get back that nice low end without compromising the plugged in tone which I am very happy with.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I played the Taylor 717e acoustically for about an hour, had a short rest, cup of tea....then plugged in to my Tonedexter and played using the wavefile I made last year using my old Shure SM57.

ES2 is good but I wouldn’t play anywhere with it, though thousands do! But TD brings it to life.

It is a joyous thing - sounds like I am using a 57 on the guitar, to me....
My best sound results have been with the ES2 volume on full and a few drastic cuts of the bass/treble. I fingerpicked through a range of material from country to blues, slow to fast. Excellent!

I would love to spend an hour or so playing through a large PA to test it, but we are in lockdown.

My small, small complaint about the guitar is that I am hearing the micarta saddle, I think, and would like to change it to bone...nut too, but the playability/factory setup is just so good, still, that I am really reluctant to fiddle!

BluesKing777.
That sounds interesting. I have often thought of purchasing one, but wondered how well it might do with the ES2. Is there a sample somewhere we could listen to?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM

Sorry, I didn't make a sample....

With the change to bone nut/saddle, I am reluctant to do it because the current setup is so good. I keep thinking of the time I had a guitar with narrow nut spacing and had a new nut made with more string space at the nut.....while the new nut was a tad wider, it was 2 hairs higher! Not much but enough to annoy me!

BluesKing777.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:28 PM

I'd like to hear the ES2 with and without the Body Rex, as well as the ES2 with the TD!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification