The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 AM

Default K&K Pure Mini Classical

Has anyone used a K&K Pure Mini Classical in a nylon string guitar?

Thank you,

Russ
Old 07-09-2020, 03:41 PM

Yes, I do.
My Ricardo Sanchis classical is a bit boomy or muddy sounding acoustically, so the K&K is not the perfect match. Maybe it would sound great on a more midrangy flamenco type guitar. The K&K tends to sound boomy or low mid honky in his own right. Righ tnow I help myself with the high pass filter on my preamp (Grace Felix, Sunnaudio MS-2), next time I will go for a Schatten HFN classical.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-09-2020, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Most classical guitars do not have bridge plates. That means the top will flex more than steel string guitars at the location the K&K discs are installed. It will work, but will almost certainly be too boomy and feedback prone to be usable in all but the living room at low levels.

I've installed quite a few of my Ultra Tonic pickups into this type of instrument. From my experience I'd say that the included feedback suppression sensor is absolutely essential to making an SBT work well in a nylon string guitar.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 07-09-2020, 05:36 PM

Default LaPatrie Collection

Thank you very much for your responses. The guitar that I wish to amplify is a LaPatrie Collection. I also have a Fishman Platinum Pro.

Last edited by rjathon; 07-09-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-10-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Most classical guitars do not have bridge plates. That means the top will flex more than steel string guitars at the location the K&K discs are installed. It will work, but will almost certainly be too boomy and feedback prone to be usable in all but the living room at low levels.

I've installed quite a few of my Ultra Tonic pickups into this type of instrument. From my experience I'd say that the included feedback suppression sensor is absolutely essential to making an SBT work well in a nylon string guitar.
I use the UltraTonic in one of my boomier sounding dreads, and it's absolutely fantastic. Did not know the UltraTonic in classical guitars, but yes: It sure will sound much better than the K&K: K&K-sound without the problems a K&K can create. That's why I have to use HPF with my K&K-installed classical.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:12 PM

I see that the K&K Pure Classical has four transducers; seems that could be problematic. I've had a couple steel string axes that were too boomy with K&Ks, but was able to correct the problem by simply removing the center transducer. I've never had these on a nylon string, so YMMV.

My own pet theory is that, if the transducers are too crowded together, they could be subject to the same phase coloration and cancellation that one would have if multiple microphones are too close in proximity.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-11-2020, 08:29 PM

Default James May Engineering

I studied James May’s website and the ultra tonics ability to reduce feedback specific to how your exact instrument behaves is extraordinary. He is quick to answer questions. I am leaning that way.

Russ
Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 AM

I'm pretty sure you won't regret. Let us know what you experienced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification