The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Using OLD iphone as an ipod

I have a very old iphone, not even sure which model (the "about" section of settings says MD440LL/A). Its at least 10 years old.

I've since replaced it with a newer one. I'd like to use the old phone as an iPod. I've tried to copy music from my desktop computer that houses my iTunes library (which is how I load up my even older iPod nano) but I can't get music to play on this old phone. When I tap on the "music" icon it says "no music."

Any tech savvy folks here have some tips? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:13 AM

I know you have the Iphone, but I got one of these a month ago or so:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and supports FLAC (higher bitrate files). The bluetooth works great. It's nice just putting it in your pocket and slapping headphones on without wires.

You can also get an extra microSD card too. They're cheap nowadays.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-09-2020, 02:26 PM

iPhone 4 came out in 2010. I have one of those in my car as an iPod for many years and no issues.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM

It can be done, but I’d look elsewhere. I did just that when my non water repellant iPhone 5S took a swim thanks to my kids. It fried the cellular transmitter but the wifi still worked, making it essentially an iPod 4 IIRC.

An iPhone 4 is a stretch with regards to technical support though. Apple is notorious for engineering in obsolescence. In fact, I just got an email notifying me of a class action lawsuit against Apple regarding such an issue affecting performance and battery charge of iPhones newer than yours.

Speaking of which, how is the battery? That issue made it necessary to upgrade because replacing the battery on an iPhone SE (the old one which was an iPhone 6 in a 5S case) would have been more expensive.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:12 AM

Just to close the loop with everyone - I finally found all I had to do was reset the phone from the "settings" menu to erase everything that was on it (pictures, contacts, emails, etc. had already been backed up).

Now it works as an iPod touch (with very low storage capability!)
Nice because it has a headphone jack for easy plug in to my car or home stereo. When my nano finally dies I'll still have the ability to take some tunes on the road.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Musical minimalist

I'm not tech savvy, but I can tell you I have a 10-12 year old Ipod Shuffle that doesn't work in the USB slot of my '18 Honda Civic. Lives are apparently short in the tech world

Old 07-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I still have an old iPhone around here somewhere I could use as an iPod, but my current iPhone has plenty of memory and I use Apple Music streaming now anyway (though I do keep a pretty good chance of music downloaded to my phone). it's always in my pocket or on the dash when I'm driving. Having another device for my music would just be an extra hassle, not a convenience...

-Ray
Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I still have an old iPhone around here somewhere I could use as an iPod, but my current iPhone has plenty of memory and I use Apple Music streaming now anyway (though I do keep a pretty good chance of music downloaded to my phone). it's always in my pocket or on the dash when I'm driving. Having another device for my music would just be an extra hassle, not a convenience...

-Ray

I also have Apple Music, but some of the music I purchased before iTunes was deleted, has disappeared. That’s the ugly side of digital media. Unless you download it to a disc, it’s not your music and it can be taken away.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I was loving my deactivated iPhone 5S as a platform for downloaded audiobooks free from the library (the wifi still worked) because it used the old school 1/4" stereo earbud jack. But alas, it turns out you can't run an iPhone through the laundry and expect it to still play books. Now it's a skinny little iBrick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic