The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Default Martin kit price

I dont know if this is the right forum for the question but I have a 15 yr old Martin mahogany kit without tuners that I want to sell but dont know what to price it at. It has a ebony fingerboard and bridge and none of the parts are pre worked except the neck which will need sanding. Actually the top is from Stewart McDonald and of the same age. Alternately it could be a mahogany top guitar but the back wouldnt be Martin. Its a pretty back from an unknown luthier.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 AM

I don't know - but I'd guess far less than they go for new. One buying wood to build a guitar should be very concerned about how it has been cared for in that time. Luthiers take great care to store their wood in ways that ensure stability. It's possible that you've done everything right, but you'd want to demonstrate that. It's a lot like buying wine from a private collection -- they may have done a great job caring for it, but most people fall short in that regard -- so provenance matters.

That said, no harm in listing it and seeing who bites and for what price!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM

I would try posting in the Build and Repair forum of AGF.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Being 15 years old I think you could get at least as much as you paid for it and probably more. You say that it is a Martin mahogany kit with a top from Stewart McDonald and a pretty back from an unknown luthier. Would this still be considered a Martin kit?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 AM

I am learning how to build and repair guitars....please message me as I would be interested
Old 07-08-2020, 10:43 AM

To be clear, I have a Martin kit with a spruce top from StewMc. Alternatively the back could be used for a top and I have a back from a luthiers shop if a person would want an all mahogany body.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
To be clear, I have a Martin kit with a spruce top from StewMc. Alternatively the back could be used for a top and I have a back from a luthiers shop if a person would want an all mahogany body.
What happened to the original top and back?

I realize you want to sell this, so saying things that make it seem more desirable is understandable, but ...
Since important parts are not from Martin it's not a Martin kit any more.
I would list it as a partially-Martin kit that is 15 years old, with top and back from other sources that you got X years ago.
That would be honest.

Also, unless you know for sure the thickness of that hog back is the same thickness as hog Martin would use for the top (and all other properties of the wood would be considered by Martin to make it acceptable to be used at s a soundboard) you shouldn't state so.

Maybe Martin's thickness for tops [and or backs] varies differently for tone and strength reasons.
I don't know, and wouldn't assume it, and state in the ad that the same piece of wood is interchangeable.
If you've already been told by Martin itself that your assumption is true, then no problem.

Last edited by Tico; 07-08-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Let me say it another way The kit is a Martin kit with a top from Stesmc. I guess the part about the possibility of it being an all mahogany, genuine, guitar was confusing so thank you, I wont put that in the add. A similar kit with no Martin parts I saw was $450.00. I wasnt thinking about that much but more like 300. Still I dont know and am hoping for ideas of a fair price.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 AM

$300 sounds fair to me.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
$300 sounds fair to me.
Sounds about right to me as well.
You can get the Martin kits when they go on sale for about that much, and they include tuners, the top is joined, rosette is inlaid, and sides are bent.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 AM

I found one that was not Martin parts on Ebay for 450. Martin sells their kit for $500 including tuners so 300 seems very fair. Anyway Martin tuners are not very good so their inclusion means nothing in my opinion. I appreciate your input guys. That will help me with the ad. I think Ill just head it as a genuine mahogany 000 kit. Then in the description say that most parts are from Martin. Then line out what parts are not. Ill be taking the pics tonight then post tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
$300 sounds fair to me.

+1

That sounds priced to move. It being truly a "kit" means a lot of parts that can add up quick.

I'd have been a buyer a year ago with pics.

Throw in the pictures somebody will bite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair