The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Update

Thanks again to all of you who shared their experience with online instruction set-ups. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this situation is going to work out for me. (The potential instructor initially responded a couple days after my inquiry with his fees, etc. and invited me to contact him if I thought I would be interested in pursuing it further. I have not been successful in connecting with him since. I will consider it a blessing in disguise and go back to my DVD instruction for now.)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Don't own one so totally just curious I wonder why you can't use it ? I ask because I know someone who is considering getting one for the virtual online JH Hootenanny (for which we use the ZOOM app) ,

What conferencing apps did you try it with ?
Some of the apps refuse to recognize external mics. Seems like an issue with the individual apps. I'm surprised, I'd think this would be handled by the phone audio system and be transparent to apps, but apparently it's not. So there are apps that accept an external mic, and apps that don't. Even on desktops, it's iffy - Zoom used to work work with my BlackMagic HDMI to thunderbolt interface for video on my Mac, and then a security update disabled it. They tell me it's a security risk for some reason. But a USB-connected camera works fine.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 AM

My experience with Zoom - FWIW - is that it recognises my USB audio interface as a "microphone" just fine. I actually have two mics plugged into it, a Shure SM57 stage mic and a Behringer C3 condenser.

But then I'm using a desktop PC (Windows 10), and it's important to set the right recording options in the sound control panel. It would accept a mic plugged straight into the PC's mic input, if I wanted to go that way. Things may well be different if you only have a phone or ipad, or limited inputs on a laptop.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 PM

I've had good online lessons with zoom. Not so good with facetime. Our music club has had online jams with zoom, it's more suited to corporate type meetings where normally one person is talking (hence the highlighted window in gallery mode) as compared to a jam where many are playing.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've had good online lessons with zoom. Not so good with facetime. Our music club has had online jams with zoom
Really? Without latency?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write