The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-21-2020, 08:28 AM

Default Classical Strings

Hi, I have been using La Bella 900 Golden alloy polished on 6th, 5th & 4th, and DAddario Pro Art, normal 3rd, hard 2nd, & extra hard 1st, on my Manuel Raimundo 140.

My question, does anyone know if I should expect the exact same tonal quality from my La Bella each time I change them for new string?

I change my strings regularly, every 6 week, but occasional I come across a string that sounds as though it was put on a really cheap ply-board guitar, its just not right, like a buzzey bee

Question, must I expect this from new strings, will the string settle down after a while, have I become so used to the previous old string that I am imagining things!

Any help would be most grateful, my best regards,

Christopher. UK.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 PM

I think strings are maufactured pretty consistantly. Especially high quality strings like La Bella and D'Addario. Our hearing and states of hearing do change.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:57 PM

You can get a bad nylon string the same as you can get a bad steel string. You might look for other possible causes of buzzing besides the sting being bad.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:54 PM

I had a buzz one time.It went away for a little bit after I replaced the string and then came back..turned out to be something wrong with my saddle.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I had a buzz one time.It went away for a little bit after I replaced the string and then came back..turned out to be something wrong with my saddle.
Thank you mtdmind, never thought of that, I make my own compensated saddles, which would indeed have been removed, and replaced with the same when fitting new strings.

I will inspect the pinnacle of the bone seat where the string runs over.

Thank you again,

Christopher. UK
Old 06-22-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Thank you mtdmind, found it, not the string but the seat of the bone saddle had crumbled beneath the 'D' string, a trough of about 10 thou has developed.

So I've moved the saddle over slightly for all strings to sit on new ground

Christopher.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:14 PM

Glad that worked out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical