The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-12-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default F1 - Monza!!

I'm aware that some won't get to watch this race for some time.

All I'll say is DON'T MISS IT ! Something good from something bad. That's all I'll say.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm aware that some won't get to watch this race for some time.

All I'll say is DON'T MISS IT ! Something good from something bad. That's all I'll say.
Silly speaks sooth!! Not what I expected to see today!
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 AM

Well SM, things certainly turned around since I messaged you recently!

From zero to hero!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-12-2021, 03:12 PM

Man, these races get more and more bizarre as the season rolls on!

Not to (try and) spoil things for those who won't get to see the race for a day or two, but my opinion is: racing incident. But who was involved, given that this is Monza, we won't say.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

The needle match gets needlier (if that isn't a word, I've just invented it).
Old 09-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-13-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Arf arf! I guess it could have been nasty tho'
Old 09-13-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'm aware that some won't get to watch this race for some time. All I'll say is DON'T MISS IT ! Something good from something bad. That's all I'll say.
I think the beef that arose a little while back was related to the declaration of results in the thread title?
The title is obvious to anyone who reads the forum, whereas thread content is apparent only to those who enter it. And frankly, anyone who enters a sports thread not expecting to see the result is perhaps a bit supratentorially challenged?
Accordingly, I don't think there is any need to be coy about the race result etc. within a thread. Otherwise, what's the point?

So, the Hamilton/Max crash reminded me of Schumacher/Hill and Schumacher/Villeneuve in the final races of 1994 and 1997 respectively, with Max = Schumacher.

I've seen plenty of crashes but that was particularly dangerous - Hamilton would have a broken cervical spine without the Halo, the neurological consequences of that, and possibly cranial fractures despite his helmet. It's saved people a fair few times now.

In any event, really delighted to see Danny Ric on the top step: Lovely to see a "shoey" again. I'd love him to be world champ but fear that time may have passed (noting that Mansell said the same of Button).

And, for once, Bottas had a great drive.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-13-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I think the beef that arose a little while back was related to the declaration of results in the thread title?
The title is obvious to anyone who reads the forum, whereas thread content is apparent only to those who enter it. And frankly, anyone who enters a sports thread not expecting to see the result is perhaps a bit supratentorially challenged?
Accordingly, I don't think there is any need to be coy about the race result etc. within a thread. Otherwise, what's the point?

So, the Hamilton/Max crash...

Cheers,
Steve
Well, now that the cat's out of the bag...

I think the stewards are biased, as many judges are, in reality. I'm thinking of Silverstone where Hamilton's front left tire hit Max's rear right, causing Max's huge crash. The stewards thought it was Lewis' corner to take (IIRC) even though he was barely alongside Max. In Monza, Max was pretty much fully alongside Ham (from what I saw on the video - if Max was not, he would not have ended up on top of, and in front of, Ham's car) but the stewards decided Max had no place being there, that he should have backed out. I'm with Max that Lewis did not give him a car's width of room, as the sporting rules dictate.

In the end, the FIA really needs to reconsider those sausage kerbs, they were the real cause of the incident. They, going by what we saw yesterday, are dangerous.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 09-13-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Steve
^^What he said^^
Old 09-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

....snip ....
Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve, I can't remember who asked me NOT to blurb the results of races, and I don't see it as a "beef" but a polite request, which impressed upon me that not everyone in every timezone is going to watch it live as I do.

I regard that request as fair and just and intend to refrain from letting cats out of bags in the future.

As the puss is out of the container now, I'd say that I did think that Max has been unfairly treated in this respect, but life goes on and what doesn't kill you ...etc.

Max will beat Lewis one day, and I'll rejoice, not because I'm against my countryman Lewis, but because it's now someone else's turn.

Delighted for Danny, and Lando and the Mclaren team, and frankly I'd like to see a F1 where no-one can guess who or what team may win.

Anyway, F1 is so much safer now than when I first started watching/attending but Sunday shows that it is still a dangerous sport.

I also agree that they need to review the sausages. (try the veal!)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:57 PM

I'm seeing a little game developed between Bottas and Mercedes since they informed him he won't be with them next year.

Firstly he posted a fastest race lap last week when ordered to back off so Lewis could gain the extra point.

At Monza he was fastest again and won the sprint race putting him on pole ... until the team decided to change components on his car which relegated him to the very back of the grid.

And in a stunning drive he came from dead last to finish 3rd!

Looks to me like he's out to prove something.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm seeing a little game developed between Bottas and Mercedes since they informed him he won't be with them next year.

Firstly he posted a fastest race lap last week when ordered to back off so Lewis could gain the extra point.

At Monza he was fastest again and won the sprint race putting him on pole ... until the team decided to change components on his car which relegated him to the very back of the grid.

And in a stunning drive he came from dead last to finish 3rd!

Looks to me like he's out to prove something.
I totally agree Bruce.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I totally agree Bruce.
He has his drive lined up for next year and he's sitting 3rd in championship points at the moment so with nothing to lose I'm thinking maybe he doesn't want to be forever known as Lewis Hamilton's number 2 driver in the same way Mark Weber was to Sebastian Vettel and Rubens Barrichello was to Michael Schumacher ... and the reason Daniel Ricciardo left Red Bull when it became clear their focus was going with Max Verstappen.

So will Mercedes 'hobble' him if he looks like stealing valuable points from Lewis?

6, possibly 7, more races for 2021 - Watch this space!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-13-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:33 PM

Let the best man win. Unless, you drive for Mercedes. Then, maybe not.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 09-13-2021 at 07:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic