The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2024, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Klos Grand Cutaway

I stopped by a music store in Northern Virginia today that is one of the few Klos dealers on the east coast, and they had a new Grand Cutaway in stock. I only played it for a few minutes and I'm not really in the market for a new guitar (famous last words), but I wanted to give some initial impressions since I haven't seen any reviews posted on here yet.

First impressions -- it was very light for the size (about the same as a Taylor 14 series) and felt very comfortable with a matte finish and slightly rounded edges on the back. As others have noted about the Klos headstock, it was a bit cramped, but I think the one on this new model is slightly bigger than on the travel or dreadnaught models.

I'm an intermediate guitarist who mostly strums, so that's what I spent most of the time doing. It played very nicely, and if I had to describe the tone I'd call it "mellow." Sounded very pleasant and even across the strings. Not extremely loud or bright like a Rainsong, but it was responsive and felt about as loud as my CA GX, which is a similar size. Loud enough for a small jam. I'm used to playing a 1 3/4" nut width, but I found the narrower 1 11/16" nut width and relatively small (12"??) fretboard radius nice to play. The neck felt comfortable (like a thin Taylor) and bar chords were easy. I played a few scales and those sounded good as well. It has a full 25.4" scale with a cutaway.

It's not a travel size per se, but the neck is detachable with four bolts so it's designed for portability from that perspective. Not sure if the width (about 16") would make it too wide for an overhead bin with the neck detached.

Hope this is useful. Klos is also making a mini version of the cutaway, so I'd be interested to compare that if the store gets one in stock.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the report. I'm interested in their Grand Cutaway Mini and will be visiting Klos in the near future. It would be nice if they had an option for a 1-3/4" nut.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review Dave, and the comparison to a Rainsong (which I own). I've wondered what the Klos guitars sounded like.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-22-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this, Dave, I've always been curious about these and didn't realize they had a dealer here in NoVa. I'll check them out, almost bought a Martin at Foxes seven years ago.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

On your comment on the size I bought a grand cutaway gig bag to use with my Enya X4 pro for travel (it is actually slightly bigger than the Klos listed dimensions). It did fit into the overhead with the neck detached but was tight) Attached is a comparison photo vs the Furch Little Jane backpack. IMG_20240205_170730690.jpg
Old 04-23-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the follow-up replies. I’m glad I stopped by on Sunday, because the guitar is no longer listed on the Foxes’ Reverb store. Hopefully they’ll get a Grand Cutaway Mini model and Dreadnought to try as well. Now I’m interested to see how those compare.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:07 PM

There's a KLŌS dealer in NOVA? Which one, and where?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

It's Foxes Music Company in Falls Church. Foxesmusic.com.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber