The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Default Eric Johnson Strat - Virginia

Ok, maybe a bad time to do this...

Fender has come out with a Fender Customshop version of ‘Virginia’, Eric Johnson’s prized 1954 Strat. It is limited to 50 guitars. My son is a very good player and has been profoundly influenced by EJ in both style and tone is going to pull the trigger on one. Contacted my local dealer (Five Star Guitars) and they are getting assistance from Fender to find one and get it here. As my son said, (for him) this is just about the perfect guitar.

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/seri...olor-sunburst/

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

Last edited by jayhawk; 04-03-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Ok, maybe a bad time to do this...

Fender has come out with a Fender Customshop version of ‘Virginia’, Eric Johnson’s prized 1954 Strat. It is limited to 50 guitars. My son is a very good player and has been profoundly influenced by EJ in both style and tone is going to pull the trigger on one. Contacted my local dealer (Five Star Guitars) and they are getting assistance from Fender to find one and get it here. As my son said, (for him) this is just about the perfect guitar.

http://http://www.fendercustomshop.c...olor-sunburst/
Wow, that's a huge premium to pay for the CS version but, man, it's pretty sweet looking.

BTW, your link's not working. I Googled it...
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Two http(s) do not make for a good link😁.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Link working now. I work with this stuff everyday. You’d think I’d know better.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Jayhawk: Before overspending from the Fender CS, which is often disappointing, have your son demo a new PRS Silver Sky. The best Stratocaster is now made by PRS.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:57 PM

We’ve looked at Silver Skies in the past, vastly over-rated (and I like PRS , in general).

You all keep talking about how overpriced the custom shops are. The price on the EJ Virginia is right about the same take home price as the PRS. Seems to me that the PRS is over priced.

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-04-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
We’ve looked at Silver Skies in the past, vastly over-rated (and I like PRS , in general).

You all keep talking about how overpriced the custom shops are. The price on the EJ Virginia is right about the same take home price as the PRS. Seems to me that the PRS is over priced.
The production model from Corona is about the same price as the Silver Sky, but the CS model lists for $9K or so.

Personally, I've always thought the CS stuff is a poor choice for the money, but I also think that the blanket claim "PRS makes the best Strat" is just silly.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:21 PM

Ok, not sure where you are getting the $9k price, but check Sweetwater, their advertised price is $2500. Working with my dealer I expect something under that. In my mind that price makes this guitar very affordable.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-04-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Ok, not sure where you are getting the $9k price, but check Sweetwater, their advertised price is $2500. Working with my dealer I expect something under that. In my mind that price makes this guitar very affordable.

Jack
Here's the link:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...a-stratocaster

This is just a couple of months old.

And here's an excerpt:

Models include the Eric Johnson “Virginia” Stratocaster ($2,499.99) and Fender Custom Shop Eric Johnson “Virginia” Stratocaster ($9,000.00). In the same spirit as the production line version, the Fender Custom Shop masterbuilt “Virginia” will take on the same aesthetic and tone as the original guitar, but in exacting detail with handwound pickups and a flamed maple neck – available in an extremely limited quantity.

I have to wonder if folks aren't saying "Custom Shop" Virginia when in fact they mean the production version. The Sweetwater one is not a CS guitar (which is what the OP was stating he was buying.)

Personally, I'd take the $2500 Virginia over the PRS any day, but I dislike vintage specs.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Thanks. Didn’t realize they were making two different version of the Virginia. I hadn’t seen anything about the production version.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Didn’t realize they were making two different version of the Virginia. I hadn’t seen anything about the production version.

Jack
Yeah, that seems to be the pattern on models they think will sell well. Like the Clapton sig: there was (and I suppose still is, but don't know) a CS version and a production version.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:55 PM

Interesting. I suppose it makes sense. Make a high end production model for the masses. Make a custom model for those with deep pockets.

Still, I think the production version looks like a great buy.

Thanks

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-05-2020, 08:11 AM

A buddy of mine just got one of the regular production EJs. He loves it and says it's a keeper. This is a guy with all of the EJ sig guitars--I think there were two more that Fender released?
Old 04-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on this new model; it seems like a terrific Strat! Best of luck to your son!

- Glenn
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM

I owned an EJ strat when they first came out. I think they were about $1500. IMO it was one of the most underrated Fenders on the market at the time Most of the parts and fit and finish rivaled CS. EJ took a real interest in specs and how it was made. The neck was sticky but after a year of playing it was silky and perfect.

I don't claim to be a huge EJ fan and can't comment on how well the Virginia will hold value but a CS version of it at $2500 isn't obscene in my opinion. If I was a huge fan of his I would be fine paying that amount assuming I can get my hands on it first and make sure the one I get is perfect in every way.

Good taste.

OK, since everyone has to mention something else to get instead . An old friend ( I was a regular customer when he was independent) of mine is now a Principal Master Builder in the Fender CS. Ron Thorn. If I was going to buy THE ONE and only strat that binds and melds all strats (or is that a ring) I'd define what I want and have him build it. Of course, it will be a LOT more than $2500. Probably closer to $6,000 but what a guitar that would be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars