The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Cool song. The guitar hints at resonator tone to my ear.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan--especially his latest "Songs of the Plains" recording. Here's a great Podcast (as are all of Andy Hedges podcasts) where Colter talks about his influences, technique, his Martin, his tuning, and his related sound. If you want to skip to the guitar oriented discussion it starts around 17:50. I love the resonance in Colter's voice--he's even got it in his speaking voice.

https://andyhedges.com/cowboy-crossr...45-colter-wall
Old 01-18-2020, 01:44 PM

So no one knows what kind of guitar it is?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

He sets up his guitars like that, or a tech does. Every guitar I've seen him with has low action and (I assume) very little relief.

He's playing a Martin 00-15 (17?) in another video, same buzz, different guitar.

Colter Wall is the best thing to come around in a long while. The real deal and young. Great songwriter of an old folk tradition.

Here's that video. I love the sound he gets.

Last edited by stephenT; 01-19-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Colter Wall is the best thing to come around in a long while. The real deal and young. Great songwriter of an old folk tradition.
Agree.

When you consider all the lame music put out these days - it kinda bums me out a bit to see negative posts and comments that are so off the mark about such a young and talented artist...

to the op- not sure what this guitar is.
I saw Colter live not long ago and he looked to be playing a vintage 00-17.

madhat.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Yes, this thread illustrates why I don't come here for the music reviews.

And the same folks complain that "todays music sucks". No, it doesn't, just takes some ears and an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
Agree.

When you consider all the lame music put out these days - it kinda bums me out a bit to see negative posts and comments that are so off the mark about such a young and talented artist...madhat.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daion View Post
So no one knows what kind of guitar it is?
It's buried in the thread, I think it’s a Vintage brand guitar - a Vintage VE440VB.
Martin 0-18 Custom
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
‘38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'20s Oscar Schmidt Stella
'20s Regal Superior
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Yes, this thread illustrates why I don't come here for the music reviews.

And the same folks complain that "todays music sucks". No, it doesn't, just takes some ears and an open mind.
Indeed.

madhat.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
What's Colter playing in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYkikkitS0
This is one of his earliest videos, and I suspect it was the guitar he could afford. He later replaced it with a mahogany Martin.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 PM

I get it. But I'd much, much rather listen to Dylan's "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)", which feels like an antecedent here.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:32 PM

It is in the earlier videos, this guitar.
But there are a few from a few months before these where he has the Martin.

In the radio interview he says the Martin was loaned to him for awhile.
Before he actually bought it.
So maybe that has something to do with it.

I find it amazing as I had been listening to him on several shows with the Martin before I found the shows with this Vintage guitar.
I was completely used to seeing him with the Martin when I stumbled onto these few shows with this guitar.
I immediately noticed it as sounding WAY different, really tinny and cheap in comparison to the throatiness of the Mahogany Martin.
Something about that Mahogany Martin and his voice that is just a total matchup.

Quick followup:
I don't know if some producer 'got' to him recently...
But the latest show he has out, the Austin City Limits show...
Seemed very different, very different.
There is a full backing band and the deep gravelly voice is gone.
Now, he sounds like anyone else.
Everything that made him stand out and sound original is gone in the ACL show.
Eastman 2012 AH6OM
Eastman 2016 HE-222GAC
Eastman 2018 E1SS Ltd
La Patrie Presentation
La Patrie Collection
Old 01-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, the "Vintage" brand is an entry level brand and this model is worth all of £250!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
Not even sure why people compare the two. Tyler has an excellent voice and his guitar doesn't sound like a cigar box.

Plus his sound is more americana/folk/bluegrass. And it's authentic because he's from Kentucky.

This Colter guy is canadian and tries to pull off the Texas vibe. Idk just seems really fake.
Tyler is great but you are completely wrong about the rest. Colter is from Saskatchewan which is the northern plains on the other side of the border. They have cattle and rodeos there. What they don't have is massive cities like Dallas, and Houston. He's actually western and from a town with a population of less than 20,000. So this is pretty much like saying a guy with a cowboy hat from Montana is "fake." In actually being from a town of 16,000 on the prairie he's considerably more "authentic" than the average. I mean, how many cowboy hat wearing singers actually have been at a rodeo or cattle auction? You couldn't possibly be more wrong simply because most of his work is actually about Saskatchewan's history culture. That was the theme of his whole last album.

The interesting aside with Colter's "authenticity" is that his dad though retired now was the biggest politician in the province. So the wandering vagabond at odds with the law is pretty much entirely a self imposed legend. But at that he's hardly unique. I think growing up going to all those cultural events in a mostly rural province with a dad who had to know everybody is where his authenticity comes from. His music is all about where he's from.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
It is in the earlier videos, this guitar.
But there are a few from a few months before these where he has the Martin.

In the radio interview he says the Martin was loaned to him for awhile.
Before he actually bought it.
So maybe that has something to do with it.

I find it amazing as I had been listening to him on several shows with the Martin before I found the shows with this Vintage guitar.
I was completely used to seeing him with the Martin when I stumbled onto these few shows with this guitar.
I immediately noticed it as sounding WAY different, really tinny and cheap in comparison to the throatiness of the Mahogany Martin.
Something about that Mahogany Martin and his voice that is just a total matchup.

Quick followup:
I don't know if some producer 'got' to him recently...
But the latest show he has out, the Austin City Limits show...
Seemed very different, very different.
There is a full backing band and the deep gravelly voice is gone.
Now, he sounds like anyone else.
Everything that made him stand out and sound original is gone in the ACL show.
It's the same band he's been playing with for a while and to my ear they all sounded considerably more professional than they did previously at that show. He hasn't lost the deepness but his voice has a lot more range now and he never struggles to get the higher notes. He's getting really smooth with the high yodels. This is just what happens when you tour all the time. The rough edges start to smooth out.

I get it though. When performers rough edges smooth out they can lose some of the appeal they had at first and start to sound more slick. The same thing is going on with Tyler Childers, Billy Strings, Marcus King, etc. Their newest work is a lot more polished and different from the grit they had at first.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyba View Post
Tyler is great but you are completely wrong about the rest. Colter is from Saskatchewan which is the northern plains on the other side of the border. They have cattle and rodeos there. What they don't have is massive cities like Dallas, and Houston. He's actually western and from a town with a population of less than 20,000. So this is pretty much like saying a guy with a cowboy hat from Montana is "fake." In actually being from a town of 16,000 on the prairie he's considerably more "authentic" than the average. I mean, how many cowboy hat wearing singers actually have been at a rodeo or cattle auction? You couldn't possibly be more wrong simply because most of his work is actually about Saskatchewan's history culture. That was the theme of his whole last album.

The interesting aside with Colter's "authenticity" is that his dad though retired now was the biggest politician in the province. So the wandering vagabond at odds with the law is pretty much entirely a self imposed legend. But at that he's hardly unique. I think growing up going to all those cultural events in a mostly rural province with a dad who had to know everybody is where his authenticity comes from. His music is all about where he's from.
Amen. I was about to post that there is no shortage of cowboys on the Canadian prairie. Interesting about his dad - I didn't know that. Anyway, I think he's great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion