The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM

It would be interesting to know what the OP was going for..."great" is contextual...I mean, fundamentally, michael buble is a better singer than jeff tweedy, but he'd sound like an idiot singing a wilco tune.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Confidence is very important. If you do not think you can sing, its likely you will not do it well. All singers work on their singing, even pros. While responding to criticism is ok. Develop the proper attitude. Enjoy. If your critics are not paying for the performance...well...you get my drift.

Last edited by luckycanine; 08-06-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
One problem I see you have to begin with is by asking the question, Is my singing acceptable or really that bad!?, which tells me that you can't really hear yourself. I recommend a heavy dose of ear training with a vocal coach if you're serious enough to become a good vocalist.
I think this is the main problem as well as the course of action that would help the most.

Best of luck and keep us posted of your progress.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM

There are parts where I think "not bad at all" but there are other parts where I think "horrible".

Your voice is just fine but pitch control is most definitely a problem.

You're a fine rhythm player. As for your singing, you are far from being a desperate case. I'd try lessons (or disciplined self recording and self assessment) before quitting.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM

I wouldn't cast you to play the Phantom of the Opera, no. But listen to yourself. If you are presenting what you want to present, then ignore the naysayers. If you are hearing something in you head that is not coming across in your music, you need to address it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
Lately I've been on a George Jones kick. He slides up or down (or both) at both the beginning and end of notes. Other times he's rock solid on pitch.
Amen to that. George has voice control like no other...except maybe Merle Haggard.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Default ...

Hello,

First off, it wasn't as bad as you made it out to be in your introduction I'm a classically trained singer, and know a lot about the technical parts. I believe your issues aren't an 'ear' issue, because often times, you start on pitch. What's happening is you are forcing, and pushing incorrectly, and pitches waver out of tune. The best way to address this is to seek out some lessons. Learning to sing through a youtube video, is like learning to play guitar through youtube. You might find some good advice here or there, or some 'tips and tricks', but there is NOTHING like one on one training. Good luck!

James

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell