The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-20-2021, 04:07 PM

Default Baritone ukulele strings

Anyone have thoughts, opinions, experiences to relate, recommendations?
Old 10-20-2021, 05:34 PM

There are many esoteric discussions on the UU forum of people who want to turn their baritone into something else and wonder what kind of strings they could use for that. If you want to use your baritone as it was intende, then just get a regular baritone string set for dgbe tuning. Aquila is a brand that makes great uke strings for all sizes.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:51 PM

Just standard bari tuning, DGBE.

Looking for recommendations based on personal experience.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM

I've been playing baris for many years and own four custom ones. For my baritones, I use a Thomastic-Infeld CF35 for the D, CF30 for the G and Savarez Alliance KF543R for B and KF542R for E.

These are classical strings meant for a longer scale so using them for the next higher string is perfect for baritones. This is the combo for a wound 3&4th low G tuning. This combo and the Uke Logic stringsets have been the go to string for those of us who used to use Southcoast Strings before Dirk, the owner, passed away

Uke Logic strings just came out that are made by Joel at The Ukulele Site many are finding ideal. Also Living Waters makes a good all unwound set. Personally I dislike Aquilas.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMadsen View Post
I've been playing baris for many years and own four custom ones. For my baritones, I use a Thomastic-Infeld CF35 for the D, CF30 for the G and Savarez Alliance KF543R for B and KF542R for E.

These are classical strings meant for a longer scale so using them for the next higher string is perfect for baritones. This is the combo for a wound 3&4th low G tuning. This combo and the Uke Logic stringsets have been the go to string for those of us who used to use Southcoast Strings before Dirk, the owner, passed away

Uke Logic strings just came out that are made by Joel at The Ukulele Site many are finding ideal. Also Living Waters makes a good all unwound set. Personally I dislike Aquilas.
I think that the official southcoast replacement Bari set is made by Oasis. It also has polished brass wound strings and seems affordable
Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 PM

Thanks!

I've seen some recommendations for Galli strings, made in Italy. Has anyone here tried them?
Old 10-30-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Let me look if they make strings for baritones other then reentrant tuning, but a brand a friend turned me onto is Freemont Blackline ukulele strings. Honestly, I like the feel of them on my tenor ukuleles, so if that is any basis, I'd go with that brand.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

okay, so upon a quick search, I was mistaken. The set I was thinking they made was actually baritone strings for a tenor sized ukulele. https://www.stringsbymail.com/fremon...nor-22562.html I shot a message to a friend of mine about what baritone ukulele strings he uses, and he swears to this for his baritone https://www.stringsbymail.com/luthie...101-17563.html
Old 10-30-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
I shot a message to a friend of mine about what baritone ukulele strings he uses, and he swears to this for his baritone https://www.stringsbymail.com/luthie...101-17563.html
Thanks! I'll add those to my very short list.

BTW, I'm asking because the internet is full of posts with advice like "take the X string from a set of Savarez reds. and the Y from Aquila light-medium-heavies, and then I like to use 25-pound-test fishing line for . . . " and I just want a set of strings that will sound good.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I totally get that with my tenors. I prefer low G and have gotten into wound low G with my Pepe Romero mahogany grand tenor, so I bought the set he uses. However, my first solid wood uke (a Farida solid Koa prototype) I had in unwound low G with the Freemont black lines. Because Freemont does not make a dedicated set for wound low G (they sell one individually) for the restring I am having done on the Farida, I am having them use the wound low G from Freemont and the CEA from a regular set of Freemont tenor strings. So I get it all too well.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:45 PM

I just ordered these "Southcoast" strings that Oasis just introduced. Looking forward to trying them. Just what I was looking for....fluorocarbon with smooth wound 3rd and 4th.

https://store.ukelikethepros.com/pro...ound-d-wound-g
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments