The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-27-2023, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Weissenborn Guitar, noisy strings?

I own a Lazy River teardrop shaped Weissenborn style guitar. When it arrived, it had old and heavily corroded strings, so I put some John Pearse medium gauge PB strings on it. The Lazy River website says it uses medium gauge strings, so this is what I went with. The issue I am having is that the slide is very noisy on the wound strings. I have chrome plated, stainless, and ceramic slides and all are noisy on these strings. I realize it's partially to do with technique, but I cannot find any way to slide on these strings that doesn't cause noise.

Would coated strings help here? Or, is there a set that you recommend? I am tuning to open D.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I use a set of John Pearse Weissenbourn #3160 New D Tuning on my Lazy River and don't notice extra noise on the wound strings. They do squeek a bit.

I have a Gold Tone Beard squareneck with GHS TS1600 Resonator stings which seem a bit less squeeky on the wound strings.

I play with a Shubb S-P solid slide. Are you playing with a hollow slide meant to be put on your finger?

Last edited by Pine Cone; 04-27-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Lazy River Weiss. I’ve been happy with D’Addario Flat Tops. The mediums are the EFT13 set and the lights are the EFT 16 set. They seem to last a long time and because of the smooth surface allow for very low-noise sliding. I’m a long time Elixir Nano Web user on my six string instruments and they (or other coated strings) are also an option. Enjoy your Weissenborn!
Old 04-27-2023, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
I use a set of John Pearse Weissenbourn #3160 New D Tuning on my Lazy River and don't notice extra noise on the wound strings. They do squeek a bit.

I have a Gold Tone Beard squareneck with GHS TS1600 Resonator stings which seem a bit less squeeky on the wound strings.

I play with a Shubb S-P solid slide. Are you playing with a hollow slide meant to be put on your finger?
Thanks for the reply. For the most part I use either a bullet slide or a slide bar. I only use the hollow (over the finger) style for my round neck resonator.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzTurner View Post
Congrats on the Lazy River Weiss. I’ve been happy with D’Addario Flat Tops. The mediums are the EFT13 set and the lights are the EFT 16 set. They seem to last a long time and because of the smooth surface allow for very low-noise sliding. I’m a long time Elixir Nano Web user on my six string instruments and they (or other coated strings) are also an option. Enjoy your Weissenborn!
I may check into the flat top strings. I have never tried those.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:46 PM

I usually use John Pearse, but the new Tim Kill still has the D'Adderio PB EJ-42s it came with, which are a medium Reso set. The Pearses are 80/20 lights on the Dunn, with the unwound's bumped up.

None give me much string noise, but a thought. Are you muting the strings behind the steel? (Dunlop Lap Dawd or Charlies Tone Bar) I almost always am dragging a pinkie or middle finger.

Is the noise on single note lines or sliding a chord? You might also try to use same 80/20s, to tame the harmonics a bit.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Last edited by Mycroft; 04-27-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 AM

I use D'Addario flat-tops on my steel resonator, and would never go back to rounds. String squeak and slide noise have been greatly reduced, and they feel very much like regular strings.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I purchased some flat top strings to try out. We'll see how it goes!
Old 05-07-2023, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

if you are not finger muting behind your slide, you will get a lot of extra trashy type noise on slides. i would also check to make sure the wound strings are set correct in the saddle and bridge string slots so that the tops of all strings across are level. wound strings setting too low vs the other strings, do not allow the slide to contact evenly across the top-if this is the case, the string slots will need to be evened out.

d
Old 05-12-2023, 04:25 PM

I've tried D'Addario Flat Tops.
I prefer Magma Flat Phosphor Bronze strings because the flattened strings
have a much smoother more polished surface than the Flat Tops.

The Magma are also long-lived strings.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 05-12-2023, 04:38 PM

Get a bar. Heavier slide should help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-12-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Get a bar. Heavier slide should help.
This. I have a Stevens for my Dobro, but prefer a Dunlop "Long Dawg" for my Weissenborn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments