The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Resonator String Rattle

One of the strings on my resonator rattles a bit. It isn't string buzz; it is clearly a rattle. It is an Eastwood MRG Resonator -- a chambered solid body with what I assume is a biscuit bridge. I am new to resonators but have playing for 60 years. Any ideas? Is this a normal part of the resonator sound?
Martin: HD-35, M-36; Gibson: J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition; McIlroy: AD-30; Guild: Orpheum D 12-fret; Yamaha: NXT-1200R; Eastman: AR804CE (with floater), DM-1; HsianMo: Art Gallery SJ-200 (Euro Spruce with Sandalwood b/s (!); Journey Overhead OF660; Eastwood: MRG Studio Resonator; MRG Octave Mandolin; Gretsch: Country Gentleman '59 VSE; Gibson: CS ES-355; more electrics . . .
Old 05-05-2023, 01:55 AM

It is not normal but I don’t have enough expertise to diagnose the cause. A great resource of information is a forum that begins with reso and ends in hangout (I can’t give you the exact name because it might be against AGF forum rules). Those guys really know their stuff. Give them a try.

Last edited by lfoo6952; 05-05-2023 at 02:00 AM. Reason: For clarity
Old 05-05-2023, 08:02 AM

Check that there are no loose screws on the cover plate or anywhere else. It is weird that it's just one string. It might be that it's the specific resonance of that string that's causing the loose piece of hardware to rattle. Worth a shot.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:30 PM

A rattle is not a part of the sound, but does seem to be a part of the experience. Lots of metal parts in a Reso. Resohangout is a good course, as is google search such as: "rattle from resonator guitar."
Old 05-06-2023, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGetaway View Post
One of the strings on my resonator rattles a bit. It isn't string buzz; it is clearly a rattle. It is an Eastwood MRG Resonator -- a chambered solid body with what I assume is a biscuit bridge. I am new to resonators but have playing for 60 years. Any ideas? Is this a normal part of the resonator sound?
i am not familiar with how your reso brand is built, but make sure the string that rattles is seated correct at its tailpiece or however it is attached. also check to see if the cone screw(assuming there is a center screw in the middle of the cone)is tight enough-sometimes these are ever so slightly loose and allow a string to have an odd issue. doesn't take much, just turn it slightly to snug.

d
Old 05-12-2023, 02:46 PM

Making sure the cone is seated uniformly and the bridge is seated solidly on the cone are usually the first moves, but the tailpiece/string intersection is another notorious place for rattles; some folks put a thin strip of foam between the tailpiece and the coverplate.

Since yours is electric, you might also look at the wiring and make sure it's all routed cleanly and well secured.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments