The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Default JamPlay - Tyler Grant flatpicking course opinions?

Has anyone tried Tyler Grant's jamplay flatpicking course? I've been considering it for another point of view. I'm a current member of Bryan Sutton's course but having just completed the intermediate curriculum was potentially looking at taking another course before circling back to advanced.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 PM

Tyler actually has two Bluegrass courses on Jamplay plus a couple of shorter workshops. He's a great player and explains and demonstrates things well. He's laid back and has a nice methodical teaching style. There is some overlap with Bryan Sutton's course but it's always nice to get a slightly different perspective. As with most Jamplay courses the production values are quite high with high definition and multiple camera angles. There is tab of course if you need that but also backing tracks and guitarpro files which I like to use to practice with. Truefire has some good Bluegrass courses as well and Scott Nygaard has some wonderful courses at Peghead Nation. Have fun!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Peghead Nation. I am taking Orville Johnson's fingerstyle blues course and it's great.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I’m mostly interested in flatpicking. I thought peg head was just ok. Mostly memorization. Bryan Sutton’s is good but I seem to have hit a wall. I had a one week trial that I’m in the middle of with Tyler Grants jamplay and I’m really liking it so far. His techniques I really click with right now. He’s the first one I’ve seen introduce a major scale by also singing the notes and realizing their intervals and why what you play is the right thing. Also ear training is included. My artist works sub is valid till September so I may go into jamplay for a while and circle back later. I feel like I got my money’s worth already on artistworks so it’s all good. Thanks!

Last edited by UncleJesse; 04-04-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Another vote for Peghead Nation. I am taking Orville Johnson's fingerstyle blues course and it's great.
I'm taking lessons in person from Orville, he's a great guy and does Skype lessons I think
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 04-04-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
I'm taking lessons in person from Orville, he's a great guy and does Skype lessons I think
That’s awesome. He’s very nice, answered my question via text. It would be a dream to take lessons from him. I wake up every day and work on the blues course from Peghead. I love his easygoing style and I love the Piedmont blues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write