The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Martin vs. Eastman vs. Furch

Hey everybody. Hope all is well for everyone's friends and family.

I've been researching a new OM style acoustic for some time now. I mainly do fingerstyle, arpeggios, and light strumming. Quite a bit of percussive technique, slapping, etc.

I am deciding on four right now, and I am prepared/have money in hand to buy now. All of them have 1 3/4 nut, and I'm pretty sure all but maybe the slotted headstock Eastman has satin neck. All of them are gloss tops, and I believe gloss back and sides. I did my best to include pictures, but they aren't edited and are kind of jumbled up. The pics should be in the same order as the list below.

- Martin Custom OM-15 (All Hog w/ Tortoise binding). 25" scale
Out the door price $1799

- Eastman E10OM (Adirondack top w/ Hog back. Tortoise binding). 25" scale
Out the door price $1050

- Rate Limited Eastman E10OM (Beautiful flamed hog back and sides). 25" scale. List price is $1490, not sure what out the door would be.

- Furch Vintage 2 OM w/ Extra Deep Body (Sitka top & RS back/sides). 25.6" scale. List price is $2199, but I think I can get it for $1900.

I haven't played any of these guitars, so I'm prepared to buy sight unseen. I have played the 000-15M before, which is similar to the OM-15 since it's all hog but it has 1 11/16th nut. I did like that guitar too. Also, this OM-15 has gloss top, satin neck, and a gorgeous tortoise binding.

I've really done my research on all of these, and I've heard great things about the Eastmans and the Furch. It's very difficult for me to buy sight unseen, but I'm pretty much forced to right now b/c most shops are closed in my area, and I can't wait any longer lol.

I am simply looking for some opionions or feedback on which one you guys would go with and why. Thank you so much.

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited by SasquatchLife; 04-01-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:29 PM

Nothing like having cash in hand trying to decide on what guitar to buy.

I can only give you my take on Eastmans. I bought 2 sight unseen and consider both of them lifers. E1SS-CLA-LTD and E2D-CD. They just flat out sound great. I assume the model you are looking at would sound great also.

I'm sure someone will be along who has experience with all 3 and be more informative.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:56 PM

The only thing we could tell you is which guitar WE would buy, which really helps you not a bit. When I get to this stage of purchase I make my decision based on sound and feel, neither of which are available to you ordering one guitar.

It seems you have two choices:

1. Pick one and order it with a trial period. They are all fine guitars and you'll probably be happy. Maybe start with the cheapest.

2. Decide you don't want to spend this much money sight unseen and order two or three, or all. Return the no-go's. This will obviously cost you an extra chunk of change for the shipping.

Given your situation I'd be tempted to order the cheapest one and convince myself it was amazing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-31-2020, 06:36 PM

There’s a lot of Eastman fans here, sounds like they're a really good guitar.
The Furch is the nicest looking to my eyes, would probably have a fuller sound with that deeper body. The Martin will sound different than the others more so because of the hog top I suppose.
For myself, I’d probably not get those and get a Larrivee instead as they’re usually priced similar to Eastman but are in my opinion are better use of the money, but that’s because I love all the Larrivee guitars I’ve played.
But that’s not one of your options, if the money is no issue I’d personally be tempted with that Furch firstly, then the Martin second because that’s a proven solid guitar by most people’s experience, and, well it’s a Martin!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:24 PM

That seems like a reasonable collection for comparison. Personally I've never played a hog topped guitar that I wanted to own, so for me, the Martin would be out. Just my opinion, of course.

That Furch sure looks good. It has rosewood b&s's, whereas the others were hog. I'd start there - do you want a guitar with hog or rosewood b&s's? I am a big fan of the eastman's (I have an e20-om). Keep in mind the nut width on the esatmans tend to run a little more narrow. Specs say it's 1 3/4", but for some reason they tend to feel a little tighter than that. I believe those Furch's are just a tad over 1 3/4". So that may be a factor for you.

I'm a big fan of slot head guitars, so if it were my money, it'd be between that slot head easty (it's cool that it's a limited edition too) and that Furch, and I think it would come down to wether I wanted rosewood or hog.

Take it for what you paid for it. Just one guy's opinion.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:53 PM

Furch. Can’t go wrong there.

Can’t get over the quality of the case they throw in too.

First world problems trying to choose here.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
The only thing we could tell you is which guitar WE would buy, which really helps you not a bit. When I get to this stage of purchase I make my decision based on sound and feel, neither of which are available to you ordering one guitar.

It seems you have two choices:

1. Pick one and order it with a trial period. They are all fine guitars and you'll probably be happy. Maybe start with the cheapest.

2. Decide you don't want to spend this much money sight unseen and order two or three, or all. Return the no-go's. This will obviously cost you an extra chunk of change for the shipping.

Given your situation I'd be tempted to order the cheapest one and convince myself it was amazing.
You're definitely correct. Thanks for the advice. I've thought about buying a few at a time, but I am paranoid that I may not get a refund on the ones I return. It's an illogical thought I know.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
You're definitely correct. Thanks for the advice. I've thought about buying a few at a time, but I am paranoid that I may not get a refund on the ones I return. It's an illogical thought I know.
Then you would be a victim and would just have to keep em’ all.

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Then you would be a victim and would just have to keep em’ all.

Hahahahahaha, problem solved.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Furch. Can’t go wrong there.

Can’t get over the quality of the case they throw in too.

First world problems trying to choose here.
Def first world problems. I'm with you on that case too. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Def first world problems. I'm with you on that case too. Decisions, decisions.
Killer quality. Not just your standard wooden case there. Explicit environment control properties that you will not find on a standard case. I like that idea up here in Canada.

I have a Furch coming myself. Certainly not the primary reason I bought the guitar, but the case was a factor in the final decision, value for money, etc.

I love the look of the Furch you are looking at there. Something about it. It has a really nice simple vibe to it, and the wood selections on that thing look pretty top shelf to me.

Furch makes incredible guitars.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't played any of these guitars, so I'm prepared to buy sight unseen. I have played the 000-15M before, which is similar to the OM-15 since it's all hog but it has 1 11/16th nut. I did like that guitar too. Also, this OM-15 has gloss top, satin neck, and a gorgeous tortoise binding.
Another difference between the two 15's is that the OM is long scale, the 000 is short. Neither is particularly loud, but the OM gets a bit more volume.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 PM

Can’t comment on the Furch as I’ve never played or heard one played. But I have played the Eastman E10 and own the very Martin you included in the comparison. Some people don’t care for the mellow, woody tone and warmth of all mahogany guitars, but to my ears there is nothing better - save maybe the curly mango on my ceo-9.

Obviously I am biased, but I would not hesitate to snag the custom Martin OM-15 at LA guitar sales.
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 03-31-2020, 11:06 PM

Just on specs and looks the Furch is in a different class so if it's in your budget and you don't want to second guess yourself after purchase then go for that.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:02 AM

I've played the 3 brands but with these specs on them.
Anyway, I would go for the Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion