The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 06:22 AM

Default I almost don’t have fingerprints from years of washing..what I do

So after years in health care and washing my hands (not kidding) probably 50+ times per day, I had to get fingerprinted for work, and they had trouble getting them. I prefer soap and water to hand sanitizer.

I do use cream but not a lot and definitely not before I play. Dry hands keep the guitar clean too!

I have tried tape on picks but the thickness distracts me. I used to have some with cork on them but they all wore out years ago and I didn’t replace them. There are some with holes (Ex Wegen) and some with bumps (Primetone) but I kind of don’t like the feeling of either.

Anyway to MY answer? For whatever reason, the plain Gator picks seem to stay put the best. They have a dull finish, sound good, are inexpensive, and come in a variety of thicknesses.

Keep washing!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:32 AM

I do not have grippy fingerprints at all. I’m a custom knife maker all and I ore those off years ago, I “throw” picks like you wouldn’t believe. I may make my own. All the hand washing doesn’t help...
Old 03-29-2020, 11:15 AM

I used to to be a pick dropper when I used Fender mediums but I got some real tortoise picks and they stuck to my fingers very well. I gave those away when I stopped flatpicking. Ive started again after a long fingerpicking spell and now find that Star brand picks work, not sound, just as well. Nothing sounds as good as genuine.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:49 PM

Theres a product I havent tried. I was waiting to see if anyone had experience with it so I guess not. Anyway its called Guitar Hands
http://guitarhands.com/shop/lotion/guitar-hands-lotion/
Might be something to try for the experimental among us and report back.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Theres a product I havent tried. I was waiting to see if anyone had experience with it so I guess not. Anyway its called Guitar Hands
http://guitarhands.com/shop/lotion/guitar-hands-lotion/
Might be something to try for the experimental among us and report back.
Yes, many here have used it. I like it a lot, no residue on my strings that I can tell. Truly helps the hands. A small amount goes a long way.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-30-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

My flatpick is my right hand index fingernail, reinforced with plastic Krazy-glued underneath the nail and Swiss silk glued on top of it. So I never drop a pick, and easily alternate between Fingerstyle and flat picking.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Seems like a lot of handwashing. During a stay in place time, I see no reason to wash my hands unless I leave the house. When I go out to the mailbox, walk around the neighborhood or even go to the market, I simply use my hand sanitizer before I go in the house then wash once with hot water and soap when I get in. Unless I go out again I'm done for the day.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

A good friend of mine, Oliver Wood from the Wood Brothers emailed me and said doing well in family lock down but his calluses have gone away from constant hand washing.

They were always on the road but everyone's home now. He said he's getting some songs written.

A Lovely set at Paste Studios, enjoy (you have the time).

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-01-2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 PM

Goat Milk Soap!

Wash away! I get a local craft version, but online I saw this one:

https://goatmilkstuff.com/

BluesKing777.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:21 AM

I, too, have very dry hands. My solution: I wash my hands barely any more than I did before the pandemic. In my view, as long as I practice physical distancing as much as possible, in other words, stay at home, I see no reason to wash my hands any more than I usually do.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-01-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
. Nothing sounds as good as genuine.
Not in my experience. I don't own a TS pick, but after trying one lent to me by a world renowned guitarist who shall remain unnamed, I was severely underwhelmed. He offered to give me the name and contact info for a guy who sells them (supposedly sourced from antiques), but I didn't even bother to write it down. My BlueChips and most casein picks sound way better. But that's not really the topic here, so I'll leave it at that. The reason I like sharing my experience is because I want to do my part in convincing people that TS picks are totally overrated and don't deserve the desire many of us have for them at some point.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-01-2020, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I have dry skin. I have to use Eucerin creme on them after each wash or they crack. I had a bag of rosin from when I rode bulls. The tiniest amount of rosin is all I need to get a good grip on a pick. If that doesn’t work then something called Gorilla Snot definitely makes it stick. I can flick my fingers with my hand open and the pick stays on. I love it because it means my hand can be super relaxed when playing.
When you rode bulls !? - different world!

However, I'm interested in the rosin thing. Are you referring to their little cubes that fiddler s use for their bows? Does it stick to fingers well?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion