The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 PM
1bad914 1bad914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion: on an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend that you at least seal the top with shellac before the oil. The reason for this is that PolyOil is thin and will penetrate a softwood like spruce or cedar and in doing so, can dampen its responsiveness. The shellac will prevent penetration.


Good idea. In my case I had a lot of grain filler on it that worked like shellac.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'd like to make a suggestion: on an acoustic guitar, I'd recommend that you at least seal the top with shellac before the oil. The reason for this is that PolyOil is thin and will penetrate a softwood like spruce or cedar and in doing so, can dampen its responsiveness. The shellac will prevent penetration.
Wipe on poly is not an oil, it does not soak in any more than any other finish from my experience.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 AM
charles Tauber charles Tauber is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad914 View Post
Good idea. In my case I had a lot of grain filler on it that worked like shellac.
You shouldn't need to fill closed-pore woods like spruce, cedar, redwood ... Rosettes, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Wipe on poly is not an oil, it does not soak in any more than any other finish from my experience.
As you state, wipe on poly is a surface finish, rather than a penetrating one. The Minwax version does have a pretty strong smell that lingers as the solvents evaporate. Good ventilation is required.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You shouldn't need to fill closed-pore woods like spruce, cedar, redwood ... Rosettes, on the other hand...



As you state, wipe on poly is a surface finish, rather than a penetrating one. The Minwax version does have a pretty strong smell that lingers as the solvents evaporate. Good ventilation is required.
It’s a mahogany top.
__________________
~ Neil (sofa player, shower singer and basement whittler)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:00 PM
charles Tauber charles Tauber is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It’s a mahogany top.
Ah, sorry. Short memory.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:10 PM
1bad914 1bad914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 11
Default

I still use zpoxy on maple tops. Makes the grain pop. This is a CS 356 I am making. I usually have 4-5 guitars going at one time, work on one then switch to another when I feel like it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=