The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Default My Eastman Story - FWIW

I only started to learn to play about 3 years ago. Maybe I am fortunate in that I never developed a preference for one of the big 3 - Martin, Taylor, Gibson or Guild to add a 4th- all of whom make amazing instruments just a little expensive for my skills and wallet. I stumbled upon an Eastman E8D via CL because I wanted a (H)D-28 but couldn't justify the price, even used. I picked up the E8D for $650 and just really fell in love with the tone and easy playability. They just sounded great and balanced. Since the E8D, I have had chronologically - E40OM, E10 00ss/v, E10OM-TC, E20SS, E10D-TC, E10SS, AH6OME, AC822CE Koa and E10 00. The slope shoulder models never worked for me as much as I tried. Excellent sounding instruments but the narrower nut and thinner neck was just difficult for me to play. Due to a financial issue I had to sell everything except the E40. For me it exhibits great balance, amazing over tones and is very comfortable to play. After about two years it just keeps getting better. I recently picked up a used E10 00 on a whim. It was an amazing price and finances are improving. It has a chunkier neck and wider nut and is surprisingly loud for a small body guitar. The jury is still out on that one. Of all the ones I sold I wish now I would have kept the E8D (big mistake selling that one) and the E10OM-TC (Stunningly dry, direct, mahogany tone)
Bottom line - I find that Eastman guitars are an amazing value proposition. They are fantastic sounding instruments with a very high level of build quality and comfortable to play. They typically (IMHO) have a more balanced sound than their US made equivalents. Maybe I, also, am just an Eastman guy.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 04-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

PV, that is one fine assortment!

My OM 20 was my first "serious" guitar and I still have it. Trying to keep faith with my "one in-one out" policy, I have it for sale locally. It won't be a disappointment if my effort to enforce this onerous policy fails....
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Your story resembles mine. In late 2016, I was about to purchase a Martin CS dread (Rosewood/Adi) from a local store. An online friend encouraged me to check out Eastman b/c they made some great Adi top dreads. I played 4-5 at a local store, and within a week or two, I passed on the Martin in favor of an Eastman E40D.

That began a series of buying, selling, replacing, and expanding. Several guitars went away (some more expensive, some less) and were replaced by more Eastman guitars. I enjoy many guitar brands, and that Martin was amazing, but I enjoy Eastman's voicing as much or more than any other brand. I described it in a previous post, but someone here once described how it's more "musical" than other brands, which makes sense to me (and perhaps a nod to their classical instrument origins).

In any case, here's the current Eastman lineup. My daughter's guitar is missing from the photo (E1OO-LTD, 12-fret) b/c she was playing it in her room, and I replaced the rack spot with my Blueridge BR-240A. But I have a new E6D arriving this week, so my racks will be 100% Eastman again soon.

Lineup (left to right):

Rack 1:
2016 E40D
2017 E20D
2017 E20OM-SB
2018 E10SS/v
2017 E40D

Rack 2:
2019 AC630-BD
2018 BR-240A (Blueridge)
2016 E10D
2017 E40OM
2016 E8D

Stand:
2017 ACTG1
Wow, how does the Maple Jumbo sound? How would you compare it to your other large-bodied Eastmans? Pros and cons?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 AM

In our house we've got 3 Eastmans and 2 Martins. We both have our favorites that we've laid claim on. I can't say Martin is better than Eastman or vice versa. I love them both. My ears seem to prefer mahogany. I feel even the mahogany and sapele back and side Eastmans in our collection have more overtones and that Rosewood would make it too much for my ears. Very responsive and springy, if that makes sense. It may be the Adi-top as that's what Bob Taylor describes as a characteristic of adi and I that's the best I could describe it too.

The local music chain in our area carries Eastmans so we could play them first. I've been caught by surprise by Eastman. The E1SS-cla-ltd that we got, I had no intention of getting another guitar when I happened upon it. I was just curious about Martin and Taylor's new slope shoulder offerings and happened to notice the Eastman as I liked the look of it. Blew the other 2 out of the water and the price made it hard to resist especially after trading in 2 other beater guitars.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Please allow me to relate my own personal experience with my Eastman, and why I no longer have it. It was affordable, and gave me a chance to try a particular guitar shape with a particular combination of tonewoods. Sometimes it's not all about the sound, or the price. I liked how it played and what I heard, but something just didn't feel right. It's just become so difficult for the folks who build guitars in our own countries to offer a guitar at a similar price, due to the cost of living differences, and things that we've deemed to be environmentally important, among other things.
Seems as though so many other things, from apparel to pharmaceuticals, are now made abroad, and for better or worse, we've built our budgets around this affordability. A guitar, on the other hand, hopefully, has more of a connection to the soul, and I am willing to pay more for something made in my home country, for something I hope to be a part of my life for a long time.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
To Pura Vida, Man you have got one sweet collection of Eastmans... Just curious what your thoughts are on the Eastman E20om cause I have one of those on the way from Sun Valley but it is the Thermo cured version of it.
Thank you! I'm really happy with the quality and variety that it affords me. Although I could afford it, a similar collection would cost me 3-4x in other brands, which means I'd more likely have just a couple of guitars to remain cost neutral. I play 2-3/night and mix it up, so they all get fairly even use.

I own an E40OM and E20OM-SB, which are extremely similar (same woods, specs; premium top and appointments on the "40"). First, let me say that my E40OM is absolutely superb -- and it's been outstanding since the day it arrived. If there's ever a fire, I would leave with my E40D (2017) in one hand and my E40OM in the other.

I got the E20OM-SB a month later (both about 3yo), and the experience was much different. It was tight and a little brooding for the first year. At 18 months, it opened up in a dramatic way, and now it's incredibly responsive. At 3yo, it's still evolving, and it's taught me a lot about Adi top timelines. It has a fast attack and more scooped than the E40OM -- not better or worse, but definitely different.

I think it's an anomaly, and your E20OM-TC would be closer to my E40OM experience. Nearly everyone who's owned one has raved about them, saying the TC offers a sweeter sound with more rounded notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John5 View Post
Wow, how does the Maple Jumbo sound? How would you compare it to your other large-bodied Eastmans? Pros and cons?
This is my first Maple guitar, first Englemann top, and first jumbo body. The guitar was basically made to order (ordered in July, shipped to CA in October), so its voice is still developing. It's completely different than a typical dread. Maple is bright with a fast attack, offset by the jumbo body. The voice is piano-like, so it really responds well to long ringing notes, fingerstyle (not my thing), or fast strumming. My normal playing style (moderate strumming ala Neil Young, Jeff Tweedy) changes, when I pick up this guitar, which I think is a good thing. I'm more careful about note accuracy (Rosewood's swirly nature provides good coverage for my sloppy playing, LOL).
Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Scola makes a good point above. I don't think Eastman is better or worse than similar brands. Many people are very loyal to their brand and get defensive, when another brand comes along, especially one that makes a comparable product at a great price. I like the big brands just fine, and I'm extremely pleased with my Eastman guitars.

I respect WiseAxe's decision, although country of origin rarely plays a part in my decision making. Different strokes.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
This is my first Maple guitar, first Englemann top, and first jumbo body. The guitar was basically made to order (ordered in July, shipped to CA in October), so its voice is still developing. It's completely different than a typical dread. Maple is bright with a fast attack, offset by the jumbo body. The voice is piano-like, so it really responds well to long ringing notes, fingerstyle (not my thing), or fast strumming. My normal playing style (moderate strumming ala Neil Young, Jeff Tweedy) changes, when I pick up this guitar, which I think is a good thing. I'm more careful about note accuracy (Rosewood's swirly nature provides good coverage for my sloppy playing, LOL).
Thanks for the detailed description! I like what you said about piano-sounding. Would you say it sounds similar to a Collings then, as they are generally referred to as piano-sounding?

So you mentioned fingerstyle, do you think it would work with a light fingerstyle touch? My previous experience with Jumbos is that they need more hard plucking with the fingers to get a tone out of them as they are not as responsive to a light tough.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John5 View Post
Thanks for the detailed description! I like what you said about piano-sounding. Would you say it sounds similar to a Collings then, as they are generally referred to as piano-sounding?

So you mentioned fingerstyle, do you think it would work with a light fingerstyle touch? My previous experience with Jumbos is that they need more hard plucking with the fingers to get a tone out of them as they are not as responsive to a light tough.
I'm not sure I could compare it to a Collings b/c the ones I've heard and only one I played were dreads. I think this guitar could do well for fingerstyle, given the sweetness of tone and responsiveness of the Englemann top. Many other jumbo guitars have Mahogany or Rosewood bodies, which provide a deeper sound, and have a Sitka top, which might take a little more to drive the sound.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 PM

Thanks to every one for the replies. I really didn't think I'd get so many.

Last edited by baw3; 04-01-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
Thanks to every one for the replies. I really didn't think I'd get so many.
I am not surprised by the responses, but I am very surprised how the discussion has evolved. Though I don’t own an Eastman today, I’ve owned a couple and the E20D I had was possibly the most toneful instrument I’ve owned, and I unfortunately let it go to make room for a D28A. The Martin sounds more like classic Martin for sure, but the Eastman tone was just as rich, though not Martin tone. The Eastman also had a really sweet neck carve, so the whole package is just first rate.

Back to this discussion. Previously half the comments here were “for the money” and many people had similar concerns to WiseAxe, preferring American made. But I think 80-90% in this latest chapter got beyond the affordability and place of origin to recognize it has just a great instrument, which I do find refreshing. I hope you all continue to enjoy those Eastmans — I’m certainly looking forward to another Eastman rosewood dread and I also want to try a hog jumbo SS!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

PJ, I think the defensive attitudes and fears about Eastman (or dismissing them as just another MIC knock off) have changed for the better over the last few years. It's nice to see those attitudes changing, especially here.

I'm with you on the tone. My Eastman guitars are more "musical" in terms of sound, which I attribute to how they voice their tops and their origins in classical music instruments (cellos, violins, etc.). That sound really appeals to me, so it's made it difficult to compare my guitars to some other brands, which are a little more "in your face." It's all personal preference.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
MHC, I've drooled over that E8OM photo several times. What a distinctive top, and E8OM is such an underrated model in the Eastman lineup. I was considering an E6OM or E8OM, but I think my next OM may be one of the TC models. I probably need to sell one to make room (or so I keep saying!).
Thanks Pura Vida. Coming from you, that's an especially nice compliment. You have more than a few people drooling over your collection.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 AM

I noticed that my Eastmans weighed a little more than I expected. Some of the most responsive Martin guitars that I've ever played are featherweights.
Maybe the extra ounces on the Eastmans are from the back and sides and not from the tops which are the most critical for sound quality. Any thoughts?
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:12 AM

I just ordered another one!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=576956

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion