The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2021, 04:00 PM

Default A practical Dazzo question

I’m currently seeking a pickup solution for my Martin HD-28, and I’ve heard some Dazzo samples recently that have knocked my socks off. It’s currently the frontrunner among SBT options (with the Ultra Tonic coming up on the outside).

But installing the thing is something I’d rather leave to a pro. I gather that the Dazzo is a bit less finicky than the Ultra Tonic in this regard, but if I decide to go the Dazzo route I’d still rather have it installed by someone who’s familiar with it (just as you’d rather have even minor surgery done by a doctor who’s not doing it for the first time). So it concerns me that unlike the James May website, the Dazzo site has no listing of luthiers who install their products. Is that information available anywhere, or do I need to just inquire shop by shop?
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 06-15-2021, 04:20 PM

I installed mine a couple days ago. It wasn't all that difficult. Just ask your tech to reach out to Teddy and get some suggestions for best results. Personally I don't see it being any harder than installing a K&K. Easier maybe, there are only to transducers to worry about, the K&K has 3.

OH, and be sure to reach out to Teddy yourself and ask which pickup to get for your guitar. HD-28's have a lot of bass, he may suggest going with a 60t. Best to ask him before ordering though.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I installed mine a couple days ago. It wasn't all that difficult. Just ask your tech to reach out to Teddy and get some suggestions for best results. Personally I don't see it being any harder than installing a K&K. Easier maybe, there are only to transducers to worry about, the K&K has 3.

OH, and be sure to reach out to Teddy yourself and ask which pickup to get for your guitar. HD-28's have a lot of bass, he may suggest going with a 60t. Best to ask him before ordering though.
Or he might say go 50s even. I have 50s in my D 35. Acoustically the guitar doesn't seem all that bassy, which is why I bought it, but it really reacted to the Dazzos. Teddy is very available to any installer.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification