The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2021, 05:10 AM

Default Stewart Stow-Away Electric Guitar

Has anyone played one? I just got back from a NYC/SF trip and thought this might be easier than early boarding with a guitar in a case.

https://www.stewartguitars.com/produ...travel-guitar/
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-15-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Has anyone played one? I just got back from a NYC/SF trip and thought this might be easier than early boarding with a guitar in a case.

https://www.stewartguitars.com/produ...travel-guitar/
I had a Road Runner, probably got it 10-12 years ago. My comments are based on that model and vintage.

On the Plus side: stellar customer service, great guy to deal with, the joint that joins the two pieces is a great piece of work. No problem getting through TSA.

Down sides: It's definitely not full-size. Changing strings and tuning was a real pain. I could never get the action right (and I know how to work on guitars.) Pickups were pretty low-end. Neck was like a narrow baseball bat, high (skinny) E string kept slipping off the side.

I hate to say it because I REALLY liked dealing with the owner, but I wouldn't buy another one, and certainly not for the prices I see on the website. I'd buy a cheap Squier for half the cost and just unbolt the neck, which realistically takes about 3 minutes or so.

BUT if compactness is the major overriding factor it might be worth it to you. It is definitely the best I've seen in that department.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I had a Road Runner, probably got it 10-12 years ago. My comments are based on that model and vintage.

On the Plus side: stellar customer service, great guy to deal with, the joint that joins the two pieces is a great piece of work. No problem getting through TSA.

Down sides: It's definitely not full-size. Changing strings and tuning was a real pain. I could never get the action right (and I know how to work on guitars.) Pickups were pretty low-end. Neck was like a narrow baseball bat, high (skinny) E string kept slipping off the side.

I hate to say it because I REALLY liked dealing with the owner, but I wouldn't buy another one, and certainly not for the prices I see on the website. I'd buy a cheap Squier for half the cost and just unbolt the neck, which realistically takes about 3 minutes or so.

BUT if compactness is the major overriding factor it might be worth it to you. It is definitely the best I've seen in that department.
Its interesting that I bought and returned a CF Journey (also a removable neck) a few years ago and had the same problem with the neck angle and action... Overall that particular guitar was very poorly made.

If the original owner was named Stewart, he is not the guy claiming to be CEO today.

Jon Fields
Old 06-15-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If the original owner was named Stewart, he is not the guy claiming to be CEO today.
Yeah, I hadn't noticed that when I looked at the site this morning. No feedback on this new guy, I guess Stewart must have sold it. But he was a great guy: retired Army as I recall, really dedicated, did things like install upgrades without accepting money from me, etc.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I wouldn't buy another one, and certainly not for the prices I see on the website. I'd buy a cheap Squier for half the cost and just unbolt the neck, which realistically takes about 3 minutes or so.
Maybe a cheap Squier is the way to go. Even with the neck on who cares if it takes a beating in the overhead.

The Mustang Bullet is on sale for $150 and the matching short scale gig bag was on sale on Amazon for $48.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...27765000001000

I placed my order and even got to flush some aging reward points into the purchase.

It might even be some fun upgrading the POTs and switch, and cleaning up the frets.

Jon Fields
Old 06-16-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe a cheap Squier is the way to go. Even with the neck on who cares if it takes a beating in the overhead.

The Mustang Bullet is on sale for $150 and the matching short scale gig bag was on sale on Amazon for $48.

I placed my order and even got to flush some aging reward points into the purchase.

It might even be some fun upgrading the POTs and switch, and cleaning up the frets.
Absolutely. No better way to learn (or practice) working on a guitar than a cheap Squier. Phil McKnight has a bunch of videos, as I recall, specifically on working on Squiers and I get a lot more from his vids than from most anyone else's. I gig with an upper-end Tom Anderson Cobra, and got a $350 Squier Contemporary Tele HH as a backup. I put 3-4 hours into that Squier (keeping all the hardware, just working on stuff like relief, dressing fret ends, etc) and I tell you I'd have zero problem gigging with that guitar.

Oh, don't forget a capo on the first fret before you remove the neck. A low-profile one will handle being in the suitcase better.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:51 AM

I’ve been searching for a good electric travel solution and have narrowed it down to 3 choices in 3 price ranges:

Blackstar Carry-on
Laika (I like the single cut) but it seems impossible to get info from these guys
Erlewine Lazer Legacy (maybe a 60th birthday present since it’s hella expensive)
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 06-17-2021, 01:46 PM

For many years I used a headless Steinberger copy (Hohner G2T). No headstock eliminates the most common vector for damage.

Never had a problem in overhead or gate checking. I liked that it was full scale.

I still use it as my Roland GK3-equipped guitar.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-04-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Did you get that Mustang yet? I got one on a stupid deal for $120 as a bday gift for my girlfriend. Short scale and narrow neck for her small hands. The frets were pretty rough on hers, but otherwise I think it’s not a bad guitar. Especially for that price.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:34 AM

Default Squier Bullet Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Did you get that Mustang yet? I got one on a stupid deal for $120 as a bday gift for my girlfriend. Short scale and narrow neck for her small hands. The frets were pretty rough on hers, but otherwise I think it’s not a bad guitar. Especially for that price.
Yes. At its price point (I paid $150) I expect some compromises and here is the list of things I fixed or noticed.
  1. I spent 10 minutes with a fret dressing file rounding sharp fret ends.
  2. The neck is built with a forward relief, and it came with the truss rod only snug. I tightened the truss rod.
  3. There are two small hairline finish cracks at the corners of the neck pocket (not unusual for any bolt-on neck guitar) and a few minor tool marks on the neck. Interior routing and wiring is clean and neat. There was some dirt on the pickguard edges and bridge. Overall, not Mexican Fender quality but still pretty good.
  4. The action was set to 3/32” across all strings at the 12th fret. I lowered it to 2/32” e/B/G/A, and 5/64” A/E. The intonation was set correctly. I replaced the factory 9s with 10s.
  5. I replaced the bridge (StewMac Golden Era). I did make the stock bridge stop buzzing by setting all the height adjustment screws just right and then I thread locked them with cyanoacrylate glue (otherwise a few screws were loose enough to vibrate into the saddle during play). In hindsight, had I shimmed the bridge up a bit and got more of the set screw into the saddles, I would have had a cheap fix.
  6. The POTs are 250K not 500K, which limits the effect of the tone control as you roll back the volume.
  7. The pickguard is white single layer, and the tuners use the modern Fender two post attachment instead of screws.
Now for the good stuff,
  1. The guitar is less than 6.25 lbs., and its body is thinner and fully beveled (tummy and arm) compared to the Fender versions. It is VERY comfortable.
  2. The stock humbuckers sound good, and the POTs/switch work smoothly with no noise.
  3. A little fretboard oil brought out a very pretty grain.
  4. I’ve always wondered why Leo Fender set the Mustang overall length the same as a Strat and essentially moved the bridge towards the neck to achieve the shorter 24” scale (maybe to share body blanks with the Mustang bass). BUT I am really liking how this guitar sits in my lap and where it places the neck.
With just a little work, it’s a great travel or backup guitar, and a good choice for a beginner. I also bought a Fender 610SS 10mm padding short scale gig bag. It was shipped tightly tri-folded which creased the padding. It's OK for the price. The bag is probably big enough for a Strat and not a super tight fit.

Upgraded Bridge

Jon Fields
Old 07-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Snapdragon guitars makes some great compact travel options as well.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I've had one of these for years. Mine is the Speedster. They are well made, very compact, and great for travel.
https://travelerguitar.com
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars