The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Thanks everybody! Solid top? I don't think PRS uses layered wood tops. I know they put a veneer on SE models.
But I would consider those a solid top as well.
Maybe he means a solid color?

I think PRS gets some serious wood, so I like seeing their grain. I traded into a 1994 Custom 22 a while back and when I look into the wood I get mesmerized.

Funny thing I HATED the way that guitar sounded and it fit the bill for all the terrible things people said about many of the earlier PRS guitars (Cold, Sterile, Harsh sounding), but frankly, it was just the pickups, which I traded out for a set of Wolfetones and now the guitar is a monster great sounding guitar. And one thing PRS has really focused on lately is their pickups, and from what I've heard, they've done a great job, and the 594 may have the best pickups of them all for the type of music I like (nice balanced vintage output). So once again, congrats on a great looking, and most likely, great sounding guitar.

Here's mine...

Old 06-13-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks everybody! Solid top? I don't think PRS uses layered wood tops. I know they put a veneer on SE models.
But I would consider those a solid top as well.
Sorry, I was referring to solid color. I’m more and more drawn to simple painted tops with natural backs. But I really like the look of yours.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Holy smokes! That is a beautiful guitar!! Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Maybe he means a solid color?

I think PRS gets some serious wood, so I like seeing their grain. I traded into a 1994 Custom 22 a while back and when I look into the wood I get mesmerized.

Funny thing I HATED the way that guitar sounded and it fit the bill for all the terrible things people said about many of the earlier PRS guitars (Cold, Sterile, Harsh sounding), but frankly, it was just the pickups, which I traded out for a set of Wolfetones and now the guitar is a monster great sounding guitar. And one thing PRS has really focused on lately is their pickups, and from what I've heard, they've done a great job, and the 594 may have the best pickups of them all for the type of music I like (nice balanced vintage output). So once again, congrats on a great looking, and most likely, great sounding guitar.

Here's mine...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful guitar! Yes I love the way it sounds. I would describe it as lively and breathtakingly sublime.
I like the single coil mode on the neck pu and humbuck on the bridge.
Great stuff! But don't take my word for it. Here's a guy who plays guitar continually.
When he goes fishing he attaches a reel to his guitar and plays the fish in!

Old 06-13-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your beautiful guitar! Yes I love the way it sounds. I would describe it as lively and breathtakingly sublime.
I like the single coil mode on the neck pu and humbuck on the bridge.
Great stuff! But don't take my word for it. Here's a guy who plays guitar continually.
When he goes fishing he attaches a reel to his guitar and plays the fish in!

Mayer's guitar does sound great! I really like the way he plays. Yep you've got a great guitar on your hands.

I also like the single coil mode, I had my Wolfetones made up in 4 wire to take advantage of all of the PRS Custom 22 5 way switching. Here's a demo I did where I went through all 5 positions, and they all sounded very musical to me...

Here's what it sounds like...
Old 06-14-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Mayer's guitar does sound great! I really like the way he plays. Yep you've got a great guitar on your hands.

I also like the single coil mode, I had my Wolfetones made up in 4 wire to take advantage of all of the PRS Custom 22 5 way switching. Here's a demo I did where I went through all 5 positions, and they all sounded very musical to me...

Here's what it sounds like...
Oh my goodness that is just awesome! I love the tone & your great playing.
I am now following you on Soundcloud. You've encouraged me to dust off my audio converter and try to record something.
Thank you very much for sharing!
Old 06-14-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Oh my goodness that is just awesome! I love the tone & your great playing.
I am now following you on Soundcloud. You've encouraged me to dust off my audio converter and try to record something.
Thank you very much for sharing!
Thank you, and you're welcome, I hope that I inspired you to record your new guitar!
Old 06-18-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Man. A PRS 10 Top is a thing of beauty! I barely play electric anymore, but this makes me jones for one big time!
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 PM

Hey, do you know what those tuning machines are?
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-22-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Hey, do you know what those tuning machines are?
PRS Vintage Style Tuning Machines for McCarty Models. They work great. Ya have a great day!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM

That is so cool! Congrats!

I've managed to dwindle my collection down to 2 acoustics and 3 electrics. Hard for me to imagine downsizing any more, but who knows! I do want to find a lifetime PRS, but I just haven't yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars