The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2021, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Doug, nice review. Last year I bit the bullet and got a Strymon Big Sky, hoping to learn the intricacies of reverb. Talk about a blind squirrel! I learned there are hundreds of ways to screw up reverb, and slightly fewer ways to really dial it in. Like was mentioned above, acoustic guitars seem much more sensitive to reverb than electrics...or maybe our ears are more discriminating with acoustics. Enjoy!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-30-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I see, and you are using the mid side capability on the sunnaudio? Effectively what’s the percentage of mic to ust?
Yes, using the mid-side. Percentage of mic is hard to say. The level controls on the MS-2 are about equal, but the mic isn't as hot as the Barbera, and I roll off lots of lows and mids off the mic. So maybe the mic contributes 25%?
Old 05-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Doug, nice review. Last year I bit the bullet and got a Strymon Big Sky, hoping to learn the intricacies of reverb. Talk about a blind squirrel! I learned there are hundreds of ways to screw up reverb, and slightly fewer ways to really dial it in. Like was mentioned above, acoustic guitars seem much more sensitive to reverb than electrics...or maybe our ears are more discriminating with acoustics. Enjoy!

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but so many reverbs sound great in demos on an electric guitar, but sound kind of scratchy on acoustic. It's like they emphasize the overtones and string sounds.

I had a Blue Sky and a Big Sky for quite a while. The Big Sky was definitely a handful, but I got reasonable results. I liked it better than the smaller version, but there was always something thin and slightly metallic about the sound.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Hi Doug, I also have the Strymon Blue Sky. It just doesn't work for me on acoustic guitar. I prefer a Neubaber Seraphim Shimmer (in non-shimmer mode) I think that is the same as their "Wet" Reverb pedal.

The UAD Reverberator demo you made sounds VERY musical, natural and compelling. I am very impressed!!! Are you loving it? Does it offer any shimmer or modulation modes also?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-01-2021, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hi Doug, I also have the Strymon Blue Sky. It just doesn't work for me on acoustic guitar. I prefer a Neubaber Seraphim Shimmer (in non-shimmer mode) I think that is the same as their "Wet" Reverb pedal.

The UAD Reverberator demo you made sounds VERY musical, natural and compelling. I am very impressed!!! Are you loving it? Does it offer any shimmer or modulation modes also?
So far, I'm quite happy with it. I'll get to try it on an actual live gig shortly... It does have modulation. No shimmer, tho the Hall reverb lets you increase the decay time on the trebles, which has an almost shimmer-like effect. If I recall, there's a good example of that on the long review video someone posted early in this thread.

I have the Wet reverb as well. It's "different", and I've gone back and forth on that one for a long time.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:51 AM

Just curious , is it clear which are the equivalent uad plugins this pedal’s sounds are from ?
Old 06-03-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just curious , is it clear which are the equivalent uad plugins this pedal’s sounds are from ?

Not entirely. They tell you it's the 140 and 224, but the controls on the pedal are completely different from the controls on the plugins. So it's not like the pedal is just a "plugin player" that you can load existing plugins into. It seems to me that they've created new reverbs for the pedal, tho perhaps leveraging the models they already had.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't have an Align here to compare it to, but I agree that the Align is one of the nicest basic reverbs I've heard for acoustic. So many of the reverb pedals sound great on electric guitar, and somehow don't sound as good on acoustic. I think Baggs voiced the Align very well for acoustic guitar. I run in stereo, usually, so I appreciate a stereo reverb, but for a mono reverb, the Align is a great choice.
Hey there, Doug! I always wanted the control over the bass frequencies into the reverb mixed signal, like a HPF, but just for the reverb. Do you think it was not necessary into the LR Baggs reverb? Since I play only in mono, that might be a good shot for me!

I see that the Golden have those controls, and that's awesome, for me. I'm really loving the samples I'm hearing of it!

Here, in Brazil, we don't have the Golden yet... just some Baggs reverbs. That's why I'm comparing both units.

Thank you!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 06-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
I always wanted the control over the bass frequencies into the reverb mixed signal, like a HPF, but just for the reverb. Do you think it was not necessary into the LR Baggs reverb?
The Align Reverb has a tone control that lets you shape the sound of the reverb effect independent of the dry signal that’s passed through. Here’s what the manual says: “Turn the control clockwise for a present, reflective sound or counter- clockwise for dark, subdued tones.”

I don’t know if the end result of turning the tone dial clockwise would be similar to filtering the bass frequencies going into the pedal, but I suspect it might be (or else otherwise satisfy your objective).
"Acoustic" Setup: Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster (USA), Fishman Loudbox Artist, Source Audio EQ2, LR Baggs Align Session, Wampler Ego, T-Rex Moller 2, Boss DD-500/RV-500/MD-500, EHX 1440, Matthews Effects Futurist
Other Gear: Taylor 314ce, Les Paul Classic, PRS S2 Mira, Telecaster (Nashville Deluxe), Ovation Celebrity, Martin Backpacker, BeatBuddy, TC Electronics Duplicator, Shure BETA 87A
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Hey there, Doug! I always wanted the control over the bass frequencies into the reverb mixed signal, like a HPF, but just for the reverb. Do you think it was not necessary into the LR Baggs reverb? Since I play only in mono, that might be a good shot for me!

I see that the Golden have those controls, and that's awesome, for me. I'm really loving the samples I'm hearing of it!

Here, in Brazil, we don't have the Golden yet... just some Baggs reverbs. That's why I'm comparing both units.

Thank you!

It's been too long since I've tried the Align reverb to have an opinion on that, I just recall that it sounded very nice.

I'm alway surprised at your problems getting gear. Won't Sweetwater, etc, ship to Brazil?
Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It's been too long since I've tried the Align reverb to have an opinion on that, I just recall that it sounded very nice.

I'm alway surprised at your problems getting gear. Won't Sweetwater, etc, ship to Brazil?
Only a few products. And, when they do import, the taxes makes the transation Impossible. I always got my gear when my father visited US, but since covid-19 started, I can't get anything. It really sucks.

Thank you everybody for the tips! [emoji4]

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 06-12-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoden View Post
Those samples sound beautiful. I had an Align but I just didn’t bond with it. It seemed too “all or none “. I’d love to try this one but it may be overkill for my type of gigs and my set and forget approach.
I have the Align mated to my Felix and although it sounds nice I agree with this "all or none" statement. Trying to get a smidgen of reverb is too difficult. I have to back it off to just a hair above nill.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

I love the UA stuff. Dying to try this now!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I love the UA stuff. Dying to try this now!

Somebody send the guy a UA pedal!
Old 06-13-2021, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somebody send the guy a UA pedal!
Lol I have the Apollo Twin X and the Ox Box. Their gear is some of the best around right now. Hopefully I will see them at Summer NAMM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification