The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2021, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Default NRD- R for Reverb, the UAD Golden Reverberator

I've been waiting for the UAD reverb pedal to be released, and it's finally here. I've tried so many reverbs, most recently having good luck with the Ventris. But I've not found a reverb that sounds as good as the UAD reverbs in my recording setup. I even bought the UAD Apollo originally with plans to use it live, to get those reverbs. It sounded great, but using a computer on stage was a pain.

Now the Golden Reverberator promises those reverbs in a pedal. Just got mine yesterday, got it hooked up and here's a few samples, laying it on rather heavy so I can really hear the reverb. So far, I'm pretty happy, none of that tinny sound I often hear from reverbs on an acoustic. Pretty simple controls, easy to understand, with quite a bit of control and options at the same time.

Here's a short little lick three times, first time with the 140 Plate, at a fairly reasonable level, then again with a longer delay and with the reverb mixed way high just to hear the quality of the reverb. Last, the 224 Plate that comes as a bonus download. A bit more lively, and I'm also pouring it on way heavy here...This is just direct out of my board.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:14 AM

Sounds great Doug, almost impulse response like to me. Do u prefer this or the ventris?
Old 05-22-2021, 07:31 AM

Sounds great! I'm a big fan of UA products in general, and love the 224 plugin for acoustic. I'd really like to have it for live use. The price has been holding me back, but knowing myself, I will own this pedal sooner or later.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:44 PM

I would get this one... But we dont have It in Brazil

So I went with the Collider (Reverb + Delay) from Source Audio.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 05-22-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Sounds great Doug, almost impulse response like to me. Do u prefer this or the ventris?
The Ventris has more features, including things like shimmer, but I really just mostly want a good organic-sounding reverb. After playing with the UAD, the Ventris sounds thinner and slightly metallic to me. We'll see how it works on a gig, but I'm thinking the UAD wins out.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
I would get this one... But we dont have It in Brazil
It hasn't been available anywhere until a couple of days ago. You mean you can't get any UAD products there?
Old 05-22-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
...Here's a short little lick three times, first time with the 140 Plate, at a fairly reasonable level, then again with a longer delay and with the reverb mixed way high just to hear the quality of the reverb. Last, the 224 Plate that comes as a bonus download. A bit more lively, and I'm also pouring it on way heavy here...This is just direct out of my board.

That 140 plate sound sounds pretty transparent. I always hear reverbs for the way they build up lows and mids, and I'm not hearing that here.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up, Doug. How does the basic reverb tone compare to the Baggs Align, my current favorite? I've had the Blue Sky, Neunaber Seraphim and GFI Specular 2 on my board at different times over the past couple of years, and although I enjoyed fooling around with all the options for a while I found the Align to be far more natural and organic sounding for acoustic guitar in general, adding a richness and depth to my sound while letting the individual tone of whatever guitar I'm using shine through. If the UA can match or surpass that I'd be interested.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Nice acoustic demo on YouTube, especially starting at 5:40 after he's done with all the spring reverbs which do nothing for me. I'm crazy about the Lexicon Chamber effect at 15:16. Sounds amazing before he lets the wet mix level get a bit too high for my taste. I think I might have to get one and see for myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFUF8Wh6K4

Last edited by dogdog49; 05-23-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Nice acoustic demo on YouTube, especially starting at 5:40 after he's done with all the spring reverbs which do nothing for me. I'm crazy about the Lexicon Chamber effect at 15:16. Sounds amazing before he lets the wet mix level get a bit too high for my taste. I think I might have to get one and see for myself.
He definitely lays it on heavy, but it sounds good. I think that's the patch where the treble control tends to produce an almost shimmer effect as you crank it up, but less fake-sounding than many shimmers. Nice demo.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Doug. How does the basic reverb tone compare to the Baggs Align, my current favorite? I've had the Blue Sky, Neunaber Seraphim and GFI Specular 2 on my board at different times over the past couple of years, and although I enjoyed fooling around with all the options for a while I found the Align to be far more natural and organic sounding for acoustic guitar in general, adding a richness and depth to my sound while letting the individual tone of whatever guitar I'm using shine through. If the UA can match or surpass that I'd be interested.

I don't have an Align here to compare it to, but I agree that the Align is one of the nicest basic reverbs I've heard for acoustic. So many of the reverb pedals sound great on electric guitar, and somehow don't sound as good on acoustic. I think Baggs voiced the Align very well for acoustic guitar. I run in stereo, usually, so I appreciate a stereo reverb, but for a mono reverb, the Align is a great choice.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:03 PM

Those samples sound beautiful. I had an Align but I just didn’t bond with it. It seemed too “all or none “. I’d love to try this one but it may be overkill for my type of gigs and my set and forget approach.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:35 PM

For owners of the align reverb, did u notice any white noise? Saw some reviews which said that there is white noise when it’s switched on.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For owners of the align reverb, did u notice any white noise? Saw some reviews which said that there is white noise when it’s switched on.
Nope, quiet as a mouse.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
In my setup, the Align Reverb adds a tiny bit of hiss to the signal, but it's really nothing to speak of.
"Acoustic" Setup: Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster (USA), Fishman Loudbox Artist, Source Audio EQ2, LR Baggs Align Session, Wampler Ego, T-Rex Moller 2, Boss DD-500/RV-500/MD-500, EHX 1440, Matthews Effects Futurist
Other Gear: Taylor 314ce, Les Paul Classic, PRS S2 Mira, Telecaster (Nashville Deluxe), Ovation Celebrity, Martin Backpacker, BeatBuddy, TC Electronics Duplicator, Shure BETA 87A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification