The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose L1 Pro16

Now that the Bose L1 Pro16 is beginning to appear in the wild, I thought I'd take up Grobert's suggestion that it deserves its own thread, since it's such a different animal than the Pro8 that he has expertly documented here. Hands-on reports strongly encouraged, because I don't have any!

The two most common reactions I've seen are that it sounds great, and some are concerned about the stability of the fully extended stick. The extension stick is made of plastic. Apparently that factor combined with a relatively shallow insert into the base plus the heavier weight of the top stick with all the drivers makes it less stable. So the question is whether it's stable enough. I spoke with a duo that has it for their full band, and they love the sound, how much space it can fill, and don't personally feel the sway will be an issue. Others think it will be. The extension can be removed--its intention is to provide flexibility if you're up on a stage, or playing a venue with low ceilings--and the connection is more stable that way.

One common question at AGF is how it stacks up volume-wise against the line it replaces. I stumbled across this comment from Bose on one of its promo videos:

The L1 Pro16 was designed to be a replacement for L1S + B1 bass module, and it significantly outperforms it. However, performance-wise, the L1 Pro16 does veer into L1 model II + B2 territory. L1 Pro16: 118dB cont, 124dB peak, 42Hz - 16kHz (-3dB) vs. L1 model II + B2: 115dB cont, 121dB peak, 40hz - 12kHz (-3dB). As you can see, it is comparable, and subwoofer performance of the Pro16 is surprising. The L1 Pro32 + Sub1 or Sub2 will be the true replacement for L1 model II.

Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGMYLrKmy8

Other links:

Discussion and official response on column wobble issue at Bose forum:
https://community.bose.com/t5/Portab...573975#M191362

Sweetwater reviews:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-array-system

YouTube reviewer disappointed about the wobble. Kinda goes on for a bit but the closeups show the fittings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDizgVDf6Tw&t

Guitar World video. I think this does a terrible job of showcasing its sound, but the 6:25 mark shows how large the 41-pound base unit is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnphsKpdps&t

P.S. I love Bose products, including my L1 Compact and L1 M2, and the company has provided me amazing service.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Interesting that the guy who isn't happy with the "wobble" has the Bose sitting on a pallet... no idea if that helps or hurts the wobble, but it would seem that a solid surface could make a difference. That video seemed to go on and on about that one issue.

YouTube also offered this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8-W61bwHj8

Where the guy seems very pleased with the L1 Pro16.

I have to state that I haven't seen one of these in person, so I can't offer a valid opinion. I have an L1c and an S1 Pro and find them to be great at what they are designed for (I also use them together). I'm not in the market for another PA, but as always: try one in person to see how you feel about the sound, use, and weight.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 AM

I posted this in the Pro 8 thread...

My workhorse for small venues is my Bose L1 Compact. I love this system. It’s never let me down for hundreds of gigs, rehearsals, and home practicing. My experience with the L1 is the reason I purchased the Bose Pro16 rather than the Evolve 50. I’m now playing solo shows in larger venues and need “more power”. These are rooms that I would normally play with my band. Due to the Wuhan virus, they are now only booking solo shows.

The Pro16 sounds great, but mine had a high pitched (8.5K) ringing/hiss. I exchanged it for a new one but it had the same issue. I found out later that there were others with the same issue. I was willing to put up with the wobbly tower but I just won’t accept this quality issue. Apparently the Pro8 doesn’t have this issue. My guess is that it isn’t as wobbly because the tower is lighter and not as top heavy as the Pro16.

Long story short, I am waiting for my EV Evolve 50M to be delivered. It has the mixing features of the Evolve 30M plus a few other additional features. It has two effects channels with many reverbs, echoes, choruses and compressions to choose from.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:14 AM

Gotta have pics...

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Great pics!

One reason I posted a link to that last video where you can see how big the Pro16 base unit next to a human being is it got me thinking, wow, I am not lugging that up two flights of stairs (I'm not in the market right now, just saying). Now multiply that by the combined roller bag shown in one of your pics. It's great that they have it, and it'll help for many--just not someone like me. Others are more patient than me (unpack/pack etc) for what's supposed to be a convenient, mobile operation--or else physically stronger.

I *thought* I remembered something about the hiss/ringing that GreatGretsch mentions (thanks for re-posting here) but couldn't quite place it, so thanks for the hands-on report. It reminded me there are a couple of mentions of that in the official Bose forum. If I have time I'll track it down over there.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 PM

Returned to GC today to give the 16 another roll...the high pitched tinnitus-like squeal I have watched/read about was there...plus a hiss. The hiss was just as loud as the Evolve 50 I was also testing but the 16's hiss had a bunch of pops associated with it. The tinnitus sound did NOT increase with an increase in volume like I've seen in the YouTube video...but...I couldn't unhear it once I heard it. It would simply drive me nuts.. For what it is worth...I a/b/c'd the ev 50, 30m and 16.. The 16 sounded the most natural right from the start...the 30m, with some fiddling sounded very good too...way better than I remember from a quick listen a while back.. Really, they are all great units (the 50 had the hiss and fed back if I even looked at it funny).. As it stands... I wanted to sell what I have, get the 16 with the roller bag and be done with it...but I gotta wait..sounds really good but the build quality is sketchy. The salesman wanted me to buy a 32...assured me if I didn't like it I could return it because he wanted one on the sales floor...evidently my GC will not stock the 32. (I would love a ev 50 top with a 30 bass. I heard it works!)
Old 02-18-2021, 08:57 PM

I am waiting for feedback on the Model 32. I have the L1 model II /B2.
What kind of improvement can I expect?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I am waiting for feedback on the Model 32. I have the L1 model II /B2.
What kind of improvement can I expect?
I'm thinking the same thing. Looking forward to more in depth comparisons.
One that I noticed from the Bose forums: the new Models do NOT fully support the old Tonematch T1 due to updated S/PDIF. Power supply only.

"Regarding T1 compatibility with the L1 Pro systems: The architecture of the T1 ToneMatch differs from that of the T4S and T8S ToneMatch mixers, and is not compatible with the L1 Pro’s S/PDIF audio architecture.

The T1 ToneMatch is based on S/PDIF, but with a proprietary connection for legacy L1 products which allows them to carry other data such as firmware updates. The T4S and T8S ToneMatch mixers use an updated version of ToneMatch protocol, which is compatible with with legacy L1 products, but also fully compatible with S/PDIF. Since the L1 Pro architecture is designed to use standard S/PDIF protocol, the T1 ToneMatch cannot communicate the same way and is unable to send audio via the ToneMatch port.

Although the T1 ToneMatch is unable to send audio it can still receive power from an L1 Pro system via the ToneMatch port. In order for the the L1 Pro system to receive audio, users of the T1 ToneMatch would need to connect the analog main out of the T1 to an available input on the L1 Pro system."
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

For what it is worth...I a/b/c'd the ev 50, 30m and 16..

It's worth a lot, thanks for doing that!

I went back and found a thread on the hiss at the Bose forum. But this guy's setup was a little unusual with a Smart TV thrown in:

Microphone/ Yamaha keyboard/Bluetooth adapter/Smart TV are inputting to Allen & Heath ZED-12FX 12-Channel Mixer and outputting from mixer to 2 Bose L1 pro 16 speakers.

The Bose moderator responded by recommending turning faders down on the mixer to try isolating where it might be coming from. But he added: Note - professional PA systems inherently have a higher noise floor when compared to other home electronics.

And a DJ checked in there after buying a pair of Pro32s to say: I hear extensive hiss sound from the speakers even at low levels (around 4 to 5 LEDs) even with no cable connected. He also added that he's happy with the sound quality and power.

Hiss is one thing--how much is acceptable can be subjective, and who's going to hear that in a bar--but "tinnitus-like squeal" and pops (!) are another.

Of course, re online reports, people with complaints tend to hit forums more than happy customers.

Bummer about the older Tonematch not being fully compatible, but I despise power bricks so as a T1 owner I'll take it as a partial win!

For wweiss, 32's are even thinner on the ground than 16's, but this Bose line from the first post is at least a partial summary: The L1 Pro16 was designed to be a replacement for L1S + B1 bass module, and it significantly outperforms it. However, performance-wise, the L1 Pro16 does veer into L1 model II + B2 territory. L1 Pro16: 118dB cont, 124dB peak, 42Hz - 16kHz (-3dB) vs. L1 model II + B2: 115dB cont, 121dB peak, 40hz - 12kHz (-3dB). As you can see, it is comparable, and subwoofer performance of the Pro16 is surprising. The L1 Pro32 + Sub1 or Sub2 will be the true replacement for L1 model II.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile

There is a really great Facebook group dedicated to the Bose L1. I recently joined and have found lots of great real world info on the Pro 16 (gig video, discussion of use cases, etc) as well as the other models. A few folks have also posted pictures of the roller bag showing how everything fits. Some of the "issues" have been discussed there as well.

If anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoseL1
Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I had no idea about that resource. Lots of activity including much more Pro16 discussion than I've seen anywhere else. (This appears to be a FB group where you can read everything but have to join to comment. Seems like it's sponsored/overseen by Bose--correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong--but there's discussion and criticism/defense of the wobble and hiss issues, so looks like it's not a whitewash forum).
Old 02-19-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Wow, I had no idea about that resource. Lots of activity including much more Pro16 discussion than I've seen anywhere else. (This appears to be a FB group where you can read everything but have to join to comment. Seems like it's sponsored/overseen by Bose--correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong--but there's discussion and criticism/defense of the wobble and hiss issues, so looks like it's not a whitewash forum).
I joined it. Three simple questions to make sure you're legit and show that you agree to follow the rules. Looks like it is busier than the Bose Pro forum. Just a first look around, but seems to be a lot of good Bose specific discussion.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I joined it. Three simple questions to make sure you're legit and show that you agree to follow the rules. Looks like it is busier than the Bose Pro forum. Just a first look around, but seems to be a lot of good Bose specific discussion.
Tons busier!

Here's a link to a video post there showing the 16 being used at a (socially distanced) venue in St . Louis:

https://www.facebook.com/159501554/v...0890690796896/
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM

If the Bose L1 compact is part of the legacy L1, does it mean it is discontinued?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-19-2021, 04:49 PM

Yikes...they're running a lil hot on that Bose FB page.. So funny how fiercely some are protecting the "wobble"... "there is no man behind the curtain!" They are comparing the wobble to every other line array saying they all wobble...most all are built solid....I never worried about my L1M2...tank. It is a bit much...but I was still rippin out the wallet based on the great sound and my positive experience with my L1... but I gotta wait to see about the tinnitus... the FB page is a good find though...good info, thanks for posting about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification