The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Default Build Thread - The Dale Fairbanks "Fox" - Delivered!

Dale Fairbanks has just started the build of my ‘Fox’ guitar which will be based on John Thomas’ 1943 Gibson SJ Jumbo. JT’s guitar was taken to Europe by a GI in WWII. It's a bit of a beater, but it is one of those guitars that just ‘feels right’ every time you pick it up. And as you can imagine, it sounds 'really fine'.

The guitar is named for my late friend, Larry Fox. Fox was one of those people that could blend in with any group and leave a lasting impression. During college, he and my roommate taught guitar to a ton of folks in UConn’s North Campus (aka "the jungle"), and our hallway was always filled with music. As Larry dealt with cancer over a ten year span, we made sure to get to a bunch of great concerts. And in particular, I’ll always remember an incredible autumn day traveling through the Berkshires to attend WILS 2018. Larry was a survivor. He lived ten years longer than anyone expected him to, and was quite the celebrity whenever he walked into the Yale-New Haven cancer clinic (Smilow Cancer Center). Larry was also a physical therapist. He used his knowledge of anatomy to teach the docs on his cancer team and direct his treatment. Plus, he helped countless folks on the ACS renal cancer forum.

In his last year, Larry made sure to show me a piece of mahogany about 18 x 40 inches that had been a tabletop. He found it while walking around his neighborhood. “It must be a hundred years old; this would make a great guitar”, he said.

About a month after his passing, I was talking to his wife and casually mentioned the piece of mahogany: “He left it on top of the furnace way off to the right”

Jan checked and it was still there. And now, it’s going to become a new guitar (with some sort of 'fox' inlay). I’m letting Dale use his imagination on this one. Like the 1943 SJ, I want a great player first. Some of my requests:
  • the playability of the 1943 SJ 'beater' (rolled fingerboard)
  • a good 'thump' from the bass strings
  • one of Dale's exemplary burst finishes (he loves to spray bursts)
  • arm bevel
  • a nice ivoroid binding and a little bit of pearl.
  • Trapezoid markers
  • Evo frets

I tried not to be too specific. I want Dale to have fun building this and make a guitar that he would enjoy playing first. IMO, if a builder has fun and can use his\her imagination, you end up with a spectacular work of art.

And as you may know, Dale is now associated with Adam Buchwald (Circle Strings and Iris Guitars) in Burlington, Vermont. He's just getting back up to speed in his part of the business as the two of them have greatly expanded the shop and hired several associate luthiers.Out of the blue, these pics arrived on my phone today. Hallelujah, the build has begun!

Layout - this is the original piece of wood. A mahogany table leaf (one solid piece of wood) rescued by my friend Larry Fox

013ddf70d696a85019e4b8db055670bc7f06735cc6.jpg

The first cut (is the deepest). When I asked how it looked close up, Dale noted: "nice, nice stuff. It was hard to get around the splits, screw holes and warping, but we did it. Dark and dense.

012209e26eb9ee7fc4ed3c027a0ac81c33cdb9e2c0.jpg

Thicknessing

01707fea35bb64228572c94d42211bc392d03b5591.jpg

Back and Sides

01c6f29d0b6e2a6d69ca95258f44e66a024ac0abca.jpg
__________________________________________________ __________

Last edited by srick; 12-31-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:39 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Cool concept and loving the specs! I have never seen a Gibson inspired build with an arm bevel. And that mahogany is stunning. I can feel the age of that table from afar.

That said, be forewarned: this thread will stir the sleeping shenanigans of JT1 and Justonwo, Fairbanks owners and all-around bad actors. Both are terrible people with trash guitars and zero skills hell bent on warping the AGF world to their petty whims. they will kidnap your thread and insist that Dale send your completed guitar to them first to disparage its tone and put inappropriately large belt buckle scars on its pristine finish.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:39 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
…. That said, be forewarned: this thread will stir the sleeping shenanigans of JT1 and Justonwo, Fairbanks owners and all-around bad actors. Both are terrible people with trash guitars and zero skills hell bent on warping the AGF world to their petty whims. they will kidnap your thread and insist that Dale send your completed guitar to them first to disparage its tone and put inappropriately large belt buckle scars on its pristine finish.

Congrats on the build. If it turns out anything like JT's, should be awesome!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Dale Fairbanks has just started the build of my ‘Fox’ guitar which will be based on John Thomas’ 1943 Gibson SJ Jumbo. JT’s guitar was taken to Europe by a GI in WWII. It's a bit of a beater, but it is one of those guitars that just ‘feels right’ every time you pick it up. And as you can imagine, it sounds 'really fine'....Some of my requests:
  • the playability of the 1943 SJ 'beater' (rolled fingerboard)
  • a good 'thump' from the bass strings
  • one of Dale's exelempary burst finishes (he loves to spray bursts)
  • arm bevel
  • a nice ivoroid binding and a little bit of pearl.
  • Trapezoid markers
  • Evo frets
Such a cool tribute to my guitar and, more importantly, to the Kalamazoo Gals and the soldier who took his treasure to the war. That you've also arranged to honor your late friend is beautiful.

I love the specs. Adding an arm bevel is just the sort of outrageous touch that honors the history of my guitar as a tool, not a piece of visual art.

I am mid-way (a certain pandemic has postponed the project) in the process of producing a video of the guitar being played and talked about by some remarkable musicians: Jeff Beck, Vince Gill, Ruthie Foster, Mark O'Connor, John Jorgenson, Muriel Anderson, and a bunch of others. The guitar is currently with Emily Saliers, of the Indigo Girls, with whom I'm working on a certain project.

Again, cool project. Please keep us posted.
Quote:
...be forewarned: this thread will stir the sleeping shenanigans of JT1 ...
As Neil Young once eloquently wrote, "Shenanigans Never Sleep" (or something like that). Mr. Partrick has unwisely attempted to besmirch my reputation. There will be consequences. (Justonwo's reputation is beneath besmirchment).

OK, off to find my belt cowboy buckle.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Nice story and dedication. It’s nice to see Dale up and running again. I look forward to following the build. Sounds like fun.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
That said, be forewarned: this thread will stir the sleeping shenanigans of JT1 and Justonwo, Fairbanks owners and all-around bad actors. Both are terrible people with trash guitars and zero skills hell bent on warping the AGF world to their petty whims. they will kidnap your thread and insist that Dale send your completed guitar to them first to disparage its tone and put inappropriately large belt buckle scars on its pristine finish.
You have confirmed my suspicions. There’s a plot against me. But I’ll put up my lack of guitar skill against any one else’s - any place and at any time. And as far as I am concerned, I have a checkbook and a credit card — that’s all a ‘real’ guitarist needs!

I’m so looking forward to sharing this build with you all. I have known Dale and his family for several years now, and I cant think of a better match for my dream guitar.

Best,

Rick

PS - I might order it pre-dinged so I never have to worry about creating the first scratch. Also, I think that Dale is using his four young boys as guitar “relicers”. They’ll get that finish to look 77 years old in no time!

PPS - do we allow ‘besmirching’ on the AGF? What about just plain smirching?

Last edited by srick; 06-04-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

One of the most amazing aspects of music is how it is used to tell stories. You already have several really wonderful stories linked together in this build. It will be great “to see it progress. Very happy for you.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:20 AM

This is outrageously cool.

One day a Fairbanks Super Smeck will be mine...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Great story, thanks! ... there was something about a 1944 d-28
I played recently's neck ... it was awesome ... after reading your
story, I think now maybe it was "rolled"...

-Mike
Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 AM

Such a great story behind “The Fox.” Thank you for sharing! I have no doubt this will be a very special guitar!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
And as far as I am concerned, I have a checkbook and a credit card — that’s all a ‘real’ guitarist needs!
In all seriousness, I completely agree. I cringe when folks either 1) exhibit guilt about not being worthy of their guitars or 2) criticize others for not being worthy of their guitars. Guitars, music, and lutherie are things of beauty. Our community should be about spreading and embracing beauty, as you are doing with this build.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
In all seriousness, I completely agree. I cringe when folks either 1) exhibit guilt about not being worthy of their guitars or 2) criticize others for not being worthy of their guitars. Guitars, music, and lutherie are things of beauty. Our community should be about spreading and embracing beauty, as you are doing with this build.
+1 on that...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 AM

A wonderful story and as a Fairbanks KGAL owner, I am so looking forward to this thread. Keep the pics. coming.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I'll add - and supporting a wonderful craftsman and his family. I feel blessed to be able to do this.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Fantastic, srick! Gonna be beautiful. Can't wait to watch the progress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop