The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
I think it´s a great plug and play system. Can easily hand it over to a soundguy and trust they have a good, clean signal that´s easy to handle and don´t require much eq.
There isn´t a perfect pickup system out there that don´t require some sort of eq/fix at the board. The Es2 is quite close though I would say. To me what needs do be done on them is turning down some mids/high mids. Like at 500-1k or something like that.
Think that´s why the bodyrez works so great with the Es2. It gives it a slight mid scoop and adds a touch of compression. Perfect.

And by the way. I wonder if they have upgraded the pickup. Taylor sent me a new pickup for my 322e 12 fret because I´ve had problems with hum. Well, it didn´t fix the problem but the new pickup sounded much more open.

And then I came across this clip fom May this year. To me this sounds really, really good straight in. And it has that open sound that I think the new pickup I got has:

https://youtu.be/yiEmEVoi4Pc?t=1099
The direct pickup plugged in portion of this video shows exactly the kind of string noise that is driving me nuts. Every time the index finger plucks the string, there is a scratching or clicking sound generated by the fingernail scraping over the windings of the D or G string. You can hear it in the video, but believe me, when you plug the guitar into a PA and turn it up, that scratching/clicking sound really becomes pronounced.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
There was a time when you could buy a Taylor off the shelf (or mail order) without a pickup system. Those days are long gone, unless you want to custom order. Personally, I cant stand the ES2 and have also moved on from Taylor. Just wish I had never sold my 810C. Then again, I'm quite enjoying my Larrivee OM.
You might need to shop somewhere else.

My local shop has several Taylors without pickups hanging up for sale.

Here's 15 Taylor models up through 500 series at Sweetwater without pickups:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c600--Tay...yI6WyJObyJdfX0
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
The direct pickup plugged in portion of this video shows exactly the kind of string noise that is driving me nuts. Every time the index finger plucks the string, there is a scratching or clicking sound generated by the fingernail scraping over the windings of the D or G string. You can hear it in the video, but believe me, when you plug the guitar into a PA and turn it up, that scratching/clicking sound really becomes pronounced.
Yeah, I get what you mean. It just doesn´t bother me that much. Especially in a mix with other instrument it won´t be noticed.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
Let me know your opinion, they put the system on most of their guitar and I hate it...
Yup. I whole heartily agree. They suck.
I have resorted to mics. I have several but all go through a very transparent preamp. The only issue is that for those that do not use picks the shock of the thumb on the strings is difficult to control. Mic placement becomes extremely important.

I have three Taylor acoustics. All have the ES system. I wish I could have bought the guitar without the system.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:30 PM

I have 8 acoustics.
I've avoided buying any guitar with a pick up; I want to pick my guitars AND my pickups.
I'm picky about sound; that's why I buy fine guitars.

I use a DPA VO-4999G, a tiny clip-on shotgun mic that I see used for many orchestral instruments and on drum sets.
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instr...ent-microphone

It sounds exactly like the acoustic guitar and can move between guitars in seconds.
No holes to drill or installations to pay for.
One pick up (actually it's a mic) for 8 guitars makes $619 a total bargain.

No pick up I've heard sounds as natural as this tiny high end condenser mic.

The only drawback is the clip ... while good at protecting the guitar from scratches, isn't tight enough so I use some real gaffer tape.

DPA w Tape 2.jpg

Last edited by Tico; 06-03-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You might need to shop somewhere else.

My local shop has several Taylors without pickups hanging up for sale.

Here's 15 Taylor models up through 500 series at Sweetwater without pickups:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c600--Tay...yI6WyJObyJdfX0
Other than a 314 and a few Grand Pacifics, those are all lower end models: GS mini, Academy, Baby, and Big Babies, etc. They're quite proud of the ES2 it seems.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 AM

Just curious if this is the pickup you don’t like or the guitar that doesn’t like electronics.

Also, other than Tico, what are you putting in it or would put in it if you purchased one without electronics?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:46 AM

Just took out the es-2 out of my 514ce.Replaced it with a baggs lb-6 and akg 516 internal mic. Thats my sound
Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 AM

I’m very fond of the system.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:03 AM

I just got my Taylor Nylon with the NS Piezo back from repairs.

She actually FIXED the string balance issue.

This went 2 times to a Taylor Warranty center who did nothing, to solve it. An hours drive down and back.

All it took was one trip to my local tech 5 minutes away, and she addressed it.... 50 bucks.. It is SO much better!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:44 AM

Default Does anyone hate Taylor ES System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post

It’s true that this pickup is highly sensitive to right hand picking sounds. The sensors are closer to the top of the saddle then any other pickup, by design. It’s akin to a contact mic placed nearby. I found that backing off the tensioner screws on the elements, ever so slightly, was enough to reduce the sensitivity to a usable level. Otherwise, I find it to be one of the more simple, lightweight, acoustic tone preserving options on the market. Unfortunately for me, Taylor does not make a Martin like sounding dreadnought, or else I’d still have a 6 string Taylor.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

This is a very timely thread for me. I have only owned/played one Taylor with the ES2 so I can't say for sure if I love it or hate it. Frankly, it's been both!

When I bought the guitar, I thought it sounded great plugged in. I brought my Bose S1 Pro into the shop so I could hear the Taylor through something I was familiar with and I also brought in a Maton TE series with the AP5 Pro for comparison. I was quite happy with the plugged in tone. Happy enough to buy the Taylor!

I stayed happy for several months. I had a friend visit around Christmas and he brought a Schetler A6 that we tried in the Taylor. That was nice too but I think we both agreed that it wasn't better than the ES2.

Then something changed! One day I plugged it in and there was that noise. A metallic "zing" (for lack of a better description) that is present on every note and chord I play.

I've tried just about everything. I've adjusted the little screws, tried different picks, cables, preamps, EQ settings, etc. Some things will mitigate it a bit but it's there.

I'm not sure if it always was there and it just took me a while to hear it. And now that I've heard it I can't un-hear it. Or if something changed to introduce the noise.

I tried to sell the guitar but no one will buy it so here I am! I really like the guitar but I don't want to remove the ES2. Maybe I'll get a sound hole pickup and do the temporary install until I figure out for sure which way to go with this guitar.

It's definitely been a strange and interesting experience.

Matt
Old 06-04-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
This is a very timely thread for me. I have only owned/played one Taylor with the ES2 so I can't say for sure if I love it or hate it. Frankly, it's been both!

When I bought the guitar, I thought it sounded great plugged in. I brought my Bose S1 Pro into the shop so I could hear the Taylor through something I was familiar with and I also brought in a Maton TE series with the AP5 Pro for comparison. I was quite happy with the plugged in tone. Happy enough to buy the Taylor!

I stayed happy for several months. I had a friend visit around Christmas and he brought a Schetler A6 that we tried in the Taylor. That was nice too but I think we both agreed that it wasn't better than the ES2.

Then something changed! One day I plugged it in and there was that noise. A metallic "zing" (for lack of a better description) that is present on every note and chord I play.

I've tried just about everything. I've adjusted the little screws, tried different picks, cables, preamps, EQ settings, etc. Some things will mitigate it a bit but it's there.

I'm not sure if it always was there and it just took me a while to hear it. And now that I've heard it I can't un-hear it. Or if something changed to introduce the noise.

I tried to sell the guitar but no one will buy it so here I am! I really like the guitar but I don't want to remove the ES2. Maybe I'll get a sound hole pickup and do the temporary install until I figure out for sure which way to go with this guitar.

It's definitely been a strange and interesting experience.

Matt

Call Taylor. Maybe your preamp went bad? I assume your phase switch is still in the same position?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Call Taylor. Maybe your preamp went bad? I assume your phase switch is still in the same position?
Yes, the phase switch is in the same position. I'll give them a call.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 06-04-2020, 06:54 PM

I do like mine. Had it since January. Tried lots of different preamps. Still sounds best direct through the mixer with a little cut in the mids. As Dave said, it seems to be simple. I do like it direct to my Bose S1 Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification