The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM

Default CGCGCD American Raga

I’ve recently discovered the playing of Rich Osborn and “American Raga” which is usually in CGCGCD tuning. I tuned a guitar to that and have been playing around with it and I like it a lot. I know the tuning is used for a lot of other music, including Celtic, but I’m intrigued with Osborn’s idea of the thumb as a melodic tool rather than alternating bass. He has a website, and I’ve sent him an email on it, but I was wondering if anyone new of any instructional resources or tablature for this kind of music? Noodling works pretty well, but I’d like a little more structure. Osborn was influenced by and admired by Robbie Basho.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I thought I could help you but...... the tab I have for two songs are CGDGCD - one note different. Steve Baughman named it Orkney Tuning. I haven't spent a lot of time on these 2 tunes but when I spend any, I enjoy the resulting sounds. Even though I'm basically noodling..... I like those lower C notes.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 05-19-2020, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I only know of Celtic tunes in Orkney. Stephen Wake does a lot of it (he is originally from Orkney, Scotland as well).

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write