The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Default just curious...teacher, coach or mentor

HELLO ALL!

Time flies! It has been about 10 months since a traumatic hand injury. My left hand is not 100% nor will ever be. K.

I have recovered much...I am in great appreciation to a higher power for that.

I am thinking I should get some guidance and am now looking for input about the difference between a teacher, a coach, or a mentor. I understand they can all be the same and different at the same time.

I have had good feedback from this site and other individuals...I have a good base to start from, BUT need some 'musical' tweaking. I am O.K. with that, we all find ourselves there at times!

Ideas are appreciated.

D

Old 06-08-2020, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi David,
How has the injury limited your current progress?

What can’t you now do?

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 06-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Good intuition!

Thanks for your immediate insight Howard and I was not clear about that...

I have limits now but do not necessarily find those problematic. I can overcome/change different fingerings or in some cases loss of certain notes in chordal shapes (I hope that is clear enough). Although my left hand is pretty darn functional, I don't think it is my next hurdle to overcome.

Actually what I believe appropriate now is to move beyond where I was. That is, it is time to move on, and become more musical. I think I may be having a difficult time articulating my next step or more appropriately perceived next step. That may be the fundamental base of my question...

Maybe most would just say, "Meh, whatever. Enjoy what you do, and forget the rest."

Maybe I am too old to teach, too hard to coach, and/or too arrogant to mentor...I don't think any of this though.

Just sayin'.
D

D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write