The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2021, 09:09 AM

Default "Room" sound...

I'm not recommending this as an ultimate solution to "room sound", but it IS a great way to demonstrate exactly what a reflective room sounds like and what it sounds like when you take corrective measures!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I recorded a lot of the vocals for my first album similarly, with a Shure SM57 and a duvet hung around me. Sure got hot and sweaty and stuffy after 5 minutes. Super 'boxy' sound as a result.
But a good demonstration on why real acoustic treatment is needed.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-08-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
...Sure got hot and sweaty and stuffy after 5 minutes...
Ha-ha, me too. I haven’t recorded an album like you, but it was one the first experiments I tried after buying a digital recorder.

BTW, for US members, "duvet" is what the rest of the word calls a comforter.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Humm as is often the problem with the wacky world internet and youtube
The presenter may or may not really or completely know what they are expounding on .
Basically good info until 25 seconds in where he states "Ideally" you put acoustic "Foam" on the walls, which is IMO the least "ideal" of dedicated acoustic treatment
BTW while reducing the echo I don't know that sounds any better with blanket just different .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm as is often the problem with the wacky world internet and youtube
The presenter may or may not really or completely know what they are expounding on .
Basically good info until 25 seconds in where he states "Ideally" you put acoustic "Foam" on the walls, which is IMO the least "ideal" of dedicated acoustic treatment
BTW while reducing the echo I don't know that sounds any better with blanket just different .
Totally agree, but it simply demonstrates what "room sound" is and is a good example of that.

This is for entertainment value only, and as such is better than your average "cat playing the keyboard" fare.

I do think it's good fodder for satire, and I can't wait for the first singer-songwriter video of a full performance with the player draped by quilt or moving pad.

At least that would be a good way of removing the obstacle for those of us who as Reese Witherspoon suggested in Legally Blonde, are considered "unfortunate looking".

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-08-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Yes, it was a extreme example of room sound, which the presenter tells us is his point. Point taken.

I've never heard that level of echo in my "Studio B" (small bedroom used as home office). Not even close. As a person not knowledgeable in acoustic space design and mitigation I'm under the vague impression that particular problem is more easily solved than other acoustic issues. Given that his mic was likely carotid, I wonder if he just hung the blanket/duvet over a shower curtain rod behind him if he'd get as good or better results and a better environment to produce actual vocals. And then for test C after that test B, what if he used one of the small arched semi circular mic stand mounted screens behind the mic and worked closer, but just outside the proximity effect zone.

I too thought the "after blanket" mic sound wasn't anything I'd want to use, unless I was aiming for "this is my first podcast" and my aims were based on what I thought FM DJs sounded like in my youth. Maybe just a lot of proximity effect though we obvously couldn't see through the blanket.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-08-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yes, it was a extreme example of room sound, which the presenter tells us is his point. Point taken.

I've never heard that level of echo in my "Studio B" (small bedroom used as home office). Not even close. As a person not knowledgeable in acoustic space design and mitigation I'm under the vague impression that particular problem is more easily solved than other acoustic issues. Given that his mic was likely carotid, I wonder if he just hung the blanket/duvet over a shower curtain rod behind him if he'd get as good or better results and a better environment to produce actual vocals. And then for test C after that test B, what if he used one of the small arched semi circular mic stand mounted screens behind the mic and worked closer, but just outside the proximity effect zone.

I too thought the "after blanket" mic sound wasn't anything I'd want to use, unless I was aiming for "this is my first podcast" and my aims were based on what I thought FM DJs sounded like in my youth. Maybe just a lot of proximity effect though we obvously couldn't see through the blanket.
He was using a small bathroom as a particularly egregious example.

As far as the proximity effect, he couldn't see how close he was under there, either!
Old 01-08-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I think you're all being extraordinarily kind.

Couch Standards
Old 01-09-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm not recommending this as an ultimate solution to "room sound", but it IS a great way to demonstrate exactly what a reflective room sounds like and what it sounds like when you take corrective measures!
Hi Rudy

I've heard that Bob Rowe (Dirty Jobs) recorded many of his voice-overs for the Discovery Channel when on the road with an SM-58, sitting in the middle of his hotel bed with the bead spread pulled up over his head.

Improvisation is an art…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD