The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I never succeeded update with android. Did it successfully with iOS

I used iOS. My iPhone 11 failed 3 times. My old iPhone 6 worked the first time.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I used iOS. My iPhone 11 failed 3 times. My old iPhone 6 worked the first time.
I used an iPad
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-17-2020, 01:25 PM

My buddy picked up a JBL Eon compact a few weeks back and we have used it several times at our weekend practice. We were able to get great sound out of it and it had more than enough power for our 40x80' practice room. We used the app for eq and found it worked great. We have over 5 hours of playing time on it and still haven't charged it.

We took it outside into the parking lot and it covered a pretty large area with no problem. For small events and busking this is a very good choice. One thing though - We tested it on a bright So Cal afternoon and it was impossible to see the lighted controls on the PA. If you play daylight events and are not using the app this could be an issue.

Have never played through an S-1 so can't help you there.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

For the first time in about 5 months, I just turned on and updated the firmware on my pair of JBL EON One Compacts. I'm now playing Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks through them via Bluetooth from iPad/AppleMusic and they sound pretty darn good at moderate volume. I'm glad I got them!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-27-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I saw one of those reviews and had a good laugh. There is zero, absolutely zero chance I'd ever be playing a gig outside in near freezing temperatures, and I live in Wisconsin. The one guy said he was playing a wedding or something like that outside in 36* or thereabouts? Haha. Hard core, man. My fingers stiffen up if room temps are in the mid 60s.
I doubt there's anyone that doesn't have trouble playing outside when it's cold, but it happens in Alaska more often than you might think.
Played in cold enough temps that I ended up wearing more clothes than you'd normally wear onstage lots of times, with the worst being at -25 below on Summit Lake in April. Really hard to play, or stop laughing either! Great times!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-03-2020, 05:29 AM

Hi everyone knows I have a JBL eon one compact and love it.

However its review came out in my favourite French magazine and... they did not like it (although they did like the Bose S1 pro when it came out)

To summarized, they acknowledge the EQ power but:
* The sound spread is poor
* The overall tone is average (spectrums are not way better than the Bose... but can be adjusted with EQ)
* They spotted the 2 KHz accident.
* It is not loud. I did not post it but the THD is somehow comparable with what I found elsewhere on the Bose S1. Basically you have to stay nelow 104dB SPL.
* The bluetooth connexion is not really steady.
[This French magazine is tough on reviews...]

Here are the measured horizontal spread spectra for different angles.

The JBL is a bit flatter than the Bose but not significantly, the tone collapse quickly far from the direct line of sight.

Note that I already knew all of that but for me the main benefit from this speaker is the ability to adjust the EQ to your taste. It can not go loud and it does not have the Bose "spread".

Let's hope HK move 8 is going to do better. (and that I can solve my 8KHz noise that only the JBL has been able to handle)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-03-2020, 06:51 AM

Thanks Cuki for posting their review and graphs! My opinion from hearing the device in videos is very close to the findings by the French mag hence my reluctance to buy the device. What magazine is it? Seems pretty similar to my tastes

As much as I love the parametric digital EQ and hope that it's on every portable PA from here on out, JBL's sound engineering just never sold me (and that includes their consumer Bluetooth speakers). This is especially so compared to the EAE D6-58 that Aaron reviewed recently which was jawdropping in contrast
Old 10-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi everyone knows I have a JBL eon one compact and love it.

However its review came out in my favourite French magazine and... they did not like it (although they did like the Bose S1 pro when it came out)

To summarized, they acknowledge the EQ power but:
* The sound spread is poor
* The overall tone is average (spectrums are not way better than the Bose... but can be adjusted with EQ)
* They spotted the 2 KHz accident.
* It is not loud. I did not post it but the THD is somehow comparable with what I found elsewhere on the Bose S1. Basically you have to stay nelow 104dB SPL.
* The bluetooth connexion is not really steady.
[This French magazine is tough on reviews...]

Here are the measured horizontal spread spectra for different angles.

The JBL is a bit flatter than the Bose but not significantly, the tone collapse quickly far from the direct line of sight.

Note that I already knew all of that but for me the main benefit from this speaker is the ability to adjust the EQ to your taste. It can not go loud and it does not have the Bose "spread".

Let's hope HK move 8 is going to do better. (and that I can solve my 8KHz noise that only the JBL has been able to handle)
Very interesting. I mentioned it wasn’t quite as loud as the S1 in my video. I feel like this means nothing to real world usage though. It’s a budget battery amp and it works. The S1 lack of EQ options can be a problem unless you are pairing it with a mixer.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Just a quick thank you to Cuki for your amazing technical commentary. I wish AGF had a like button! Love all your posts.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Can someone give me advice on my JBL compact issue:
When playing fairly loud recorded tracks maybe 90dB, red clip light comes on but the speaker can still go louder without audible distortion.
Do I have to turn it down when I see any red clip indicator?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Can someone give me advice on my JBL compact issue:
When playing fairly loud recorded tracks maybe 90dB, red clip light comes on but the speaker can still go louder without audible distortion.
Do I have to turn it down when I see any red clip indicator?
there is no mention of a red clip light in the manual. Where does this show up?
Is there also a clip light on the app?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:32 PM

Just got this speaker and had a question.....

how do I set the effect send and effect return level?

The manual says the effect send is how much signal you are sending into the effects engine. So this doesn't effect how much effect is heard? How do I set this?

The manual says the effect return is how much effect is sent back into the master. Sounds like this would be how much your blend of clean versus wet would be???

Then each individual effect has it's own "level". Is that the amount of the effect you want?

I think all these levels are making it confusing. Can anyone simplify for me?
Old 06-17-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I think all these levels are making it confusing. Can anyone simplify for me?
The three FX sends change functions depending on what FX is selected.
* If the reverb is squared in blue, then they control the sends to the reverb.
* If the delay is squared in blue, then they control the sends to delay.
* If the chorus is squared in blue, then they control the sends to chorus.

How I guess it is supposed to work:
1) The 3 sends pots basically adjust the balance between channels. For example I don't like reverb on my guitar as much as on my vocals. Then I'll send less of my guitar (ch1) in ther reverb than of my vocal mic (ch2).

2) The 3 level pots for reverb, delay, chorus, actually amount the amount of FX respectively. If you want more reverb than chorus without affecting the balance between each channel, you can turn the "reverb level" up.

This is useful if you use the inputs of the JBL with a dual source pickup. If Ch1 is the piezo and Ch2 is the internal mic. You don't want to adjust to pots to tune the amount of chorus. You can affect both channels using the "chorus level" at once.

3) the "return level" serves to control the overall amount of FXs. When you want to speak to the audience, you might want to cut all the FXs. You can do it there.

Now how I use it:
1) I don't use chorus or delay. So those are off.
2)I set the global return level to 0dB and never touch it. If I want to turn the reverb off, I switch off here all the FX at once.
3) I first set the reverb level to a high value (0.8/1)
4) then I set the amount of reverb on each channel using the 3 send pots
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 06-17-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
The three FX sends change functions depending on what FX is selected.
* If the reverb is squared in blue, then they control the sends to the reverb.
* If the delay is squared in blue, then they control the sends to delay.
* If the chorus is squared in blue, then they control the sends to chorus.

How I guess it is supposed to work:
1) The 3 sends pots basically adjust the balance between channels. For example I don't like reverb on my guitar as much as on my vocals. Then I'll send less of my guitar (ch1) in ther reverb than of my vocal mic (ch2).

2) The 3 level pots for reverb, delay, chorus, actually amount the amount of FX respectively. If you want more reverb than chorus without affecting the balance between each channel, you can turn the "reverb level" up.

This is useful if you use the inputs of the JBL with a dual source pickup. If Ch1 is the piezo and Ch2 is the internal mic. You don't want to adjust to pots to tune the amount of chorus. You can affect both channels using the "chorus level" at once.

3) the "return level" serves to control the overall amount of FXs. When you want to speak to the audience, you might want to cut all the FXs. You can do it there.

Now how I use it:
1) I don't use chorus or delay. So those are off.
2)I set the global return level to 0dB and never touch it. If I want to turn the reverb off, I switch off here all the FX at once.
3) I first set the reverb level to a high value (0.8/1)
4) then I set the amount of reverb on each channel using the 3 send pots
Thanks for that great explanation.....it helps somewhat, but I still find all these levels confusing . Guess I'll just play with it and use my ears and hope for the best.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:37 PM

Default EQ voicing

Today I was tweaking my sound and found the "perform" voicing nice. So I measured the response of each voicing to share with you all

• Flat: ...is flat, the high end artefact are due to measurement.
  • Speech: includes a strong highpass filter to remove the low end, a mid boost and some surgical cuts.
  • Musi: is the classic smiley face Hi-Fi voicing + 2 small cuts in the highs.
  • Perform: includes a high pass filter, probably to save energy and prevent distortion at high level. a 10 KHz high cut to compensate ("à la Bose"). A 500 Hz cut to clean the mud and two surgical cuts at 2kHz and 6KHz to remove the hashness.

Note that the 6KHz cuts is present in many voicings.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compact, eon, jbl