The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 05:58 PM

Default 1.5 mm Celluloid 346 picks

I'm looking for a source of the triangle 346 celluloid picks in 1.5 mm - any ideas ? thanks.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 AM

I like the Fender extra heavy.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Fender F-Grip 346 in 1.5mm celluloid.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:33 AM

I just picked up a Golden Gate Extra stiff in that shape and it’s wonderful. It’s the only pick that has come close to my Blue Chip.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

The D'Andrea Pro-Plec 346 is 1.5mm. Treenewt suggested the GG Large Tri's in X-Stiff. They are very nice and come in a lot of colors. I think they are 1.3mm.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The D'Andrea Pro-Plec 346 is 1.5mm. Treenewt suggested the GG Large Tri's in X-Stiff. They are very nice and come in a lot of colors. I think they are 1.3mm.
Thanks Zissou…I wasn’t sure on the thickness…much appreciated!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 AM

I got over my laziness and went and checked with my calipers...the X-stiff Golden Gate is a 1.5 after all!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 AM

I use two in that shape and thickness, which have already been mentioned above. I find them noticeably different.

The D'Andrea Pro Plec is a remarkably dark sounding pick. If one ever has a guitar or part or day in your playing where you're saying "This is too bright and chirpy" this pick will move you away from that. D'Andrea says it uses "a proprietary themoplastic blend" and whatever it is, it sounds different. Different as in better or worse? Depends on what you're aiming for.

The Fender F-Grip pick has more traditional celluloid sound, and its Oreo Sandwich Cookie construction gives it a beveled edge. When I bought a second set I found that the manufacturer isn't all that careful to align the layers so the amount of bevel varies tip to tip and pick to pick. Just like with bevels themselves I'm not sure it the varying bevels make that much of a difference in a pick less than 2 mm or so thick.

The F grip part is excellent! Between the sunken logo and the larger triangle shape this is a pick that stays were you rotate it and is never subject to localized gravity disturbances that cause picks to fall out of your hands.

Did the OP say they were getting the Pro Plec? If when they get it they find it too dark, they could try the F-Grip.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-21-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I got over my laziness and went and checked with my calipers...the X-stiff Golden Gate is a 1.5 after all!
Hey, thanks for checking that, Treenewt. I was going off the spec listed on Banjo Ben's website. Either way, I like the GG's a lot. I have few of the clown barfs.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Wegen TF 140 (or 150)

If you aren't ready for the Blue Chip TAD60 (IMHO -the ultimate 1.5 m/m 346, then I suggest :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wegen-TF-15...7370669?_ul=IL

I keep these in my pick boxes just in case I lose my Blue Chips (which I don't).

I actually prefer Wegen TFs for 12 strings
Old 06-21-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
If you aren't ready for the Blue Chip TAD60 (IMHO -the ultimate 1.5 m/m 346, then I suggest :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wegen-TF-15...7370669?_ul=IL

I keep these in my pick boxes just in case I lose my Blue Chips (which I don't).

I actually prefer Wegen TFs for 12 strings
+1, these are excellent picks.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
..The D'Andrea Pro Plec is a remarkably dark sounding pick. If one ever has a guitar or part or day in your playing where you're saying "This is too bright and chirpy" this pick will move you away from that. D'Andrea says it uses "a proprietary themoplastic blend" and whatever it is, it sounds different. Different as in better or worse? Depends on what you're aiming for...
I agree with your take, Frank. The Pro Plecs are dark and have an almost "thuddy" sound. I had a Gibson J35 with a red spruce top that had a lot of zing in the overtones, and the Pro Plecs tamed that. I have had a couple that potato chipped on me, but they are inexpensive enough that the attrition rate is a non-issue.

I also like the 1.5 Dunlop PrimeTone large triangle non grip. They are very smooth and produce a nice tone. The grippy version feels great but is much crisper/brighter.

The Wegan TF's are as good as anything out there. I just moved up to the 1.4's after years of using 1.2's.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Smile

I've tried virtually everything out here - shapes, thicknesses and materials and to my surprise the two I prefer the most are the 1.25 Celluloid 346 and the Ultex 1.14/1.2 in that order. but that's when I'm playing Carter style (rhythm and melody together) - when I'm playing single note lead I was using 2mm triangle picks 1 3/16" versus the 1 1/4" triangles for Carter - so lately I've been experimenting with 1.5 mm cut down to 1 3/16" to see if that will do for me for both Carter and lead style. I've been making my own out of Acrylic but I prefer the celluloid and original amber Ultex - both of which I can't find in 1.5mm - the proplecs are nice but not celluloid, the Fender F's are laminated picks and I doubt they sound like the solid celluloid - I've tried both smooth and grippy primetone picks but don't care for them - the smooth is too warm and the grippy too bright. I find Wegen and Blue Chip to be too bright in the high end and too warm in the low end - I was really surprised at how much I like the Celluloid so I'm still hunting for 1.5 celluloid - I'd buy sheets and make my own but the material is a hazard and requires special expensive shipping - yes I am picky
Old 06-21-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Retired1, have you tried the Golden Gates? How about Casein?
Old 06-21-2021, 04:42 PM

can't find any indication of what the Golden Gate picks are made of - Casein has the richest sound of any pick I've used - celluloid with my bevel is slightly different - a tiny bit huskier - I prefer celluloid

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion