The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-13-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm considering doing the same thing for my Smartphone tripod mount, but the smartphone just seems easier to frame the shot appropriately.
I have used my phone for some things during the shutdown. In a smaller space, they do work well, and the newer ones have some optical zoom capability, but the other thing camcorders typically have is real, good optical zoom capability. (At the expense of low-light, perhaps obviously.) That gives you a lot more flexibility in camera placement when the audio recording is done separately.

You can crop for framing, and I almost always rendered to 720p at the end because for live music stuff, it really didn't degrade the overall quality much and gave smaller uploads. Rendering to a lower resolution than the shot also allows some "fake" panning type of effects without a lot of loss. Shooting 4k would give you a really big advantage in framing (via cropping) and doing a lot of panning type effects within what was essentially a static shot, so I'm going to give it a go when my next smartphone update happens in a year or two, assuming I'm still around, of course!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD