The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Default 'All in one recording' recommendations? Anyone seen the Cakewalk V-Studio 20?

Two different questions but aimed at the same thing.

I'm looking for a (relatively) easy/ straightforward recording option for acoustic guitar, electric guitar and vocals. In a pinch I'd pick the first and third (and had previously been thinking the Zoom H4n for this), but also being able to add electric tracks (or just record electric) could be nice as well.

I came across the V-Studio 20 and it looked like it might be a good option, but I know there are a lot of possibilities out there. I have no experience recording so would like to avoid over-complicated DAWs.

I don't mind investing a little money in this, I'm just not sure how best to educate myself. So any thoughts welcome.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 AM

That looks like an interesting unit. But looking at the front panel, there's only one input volume control knob. There are some "selector" buttons, do you know if they allow you to switch between input channels to control the gain? Otherwise, I wonder if it will only accept one input at a time. I would hope not.

Another option is a simple USB audio interface like one of the Lexicon models (Alpha, Lambda or Omega), M-Audio, Focrusrite, or Presonus. These are multi-input channel devices. Instrument and/or mic. They all have midi ports. The best thing is, they are independent of the DAW software. This V-Studio 20 package seems to be tightly integrated with the software.

The USB devices I mentioned come with their own software, usually CuBase or Ableton Live, but you could use just about any DAW with these devices, including Audacity, which is free, or GarageBand, which comes with a Mac.

I used to own a Lexicon Omega. It came with CuBase. When I bought my Focusrite Sapphire 6, it came with Ableton Live. Abelton can do a lot of things but I haven't quite figured it all out yet. But because of the independence aspect of the interface, I can use my old copy of CuBase with my Focusrite interface. I doubt that you can do that with the V-Studio product.

I'm sure this V-Studio set up is pretty cool, but you mentioned easy and straightforward. Looking at that hardware, I'm already perplexed. Look at a USB interface and it's obvious. Input jacks, gain control knobs, USB output to your computer. Nothing else to figure out, hardware-wise. Your biggest task will be to master the software, but typically, you'll be recording in short order. In time, you will begin to master all of it's features. Some DAWs quicker than others, I'm sure.

The choice is yours, for sure, but I've owned two different USB interfaces now. They really are plug and play. Simple and straightforward.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD