The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2021, 03:41 AM

Default Suggestions to (maybe) perform a neck reset in Dallas

The neck on my 2014 Martin 000-15M is quite possibly in need of a neck reset. I'm looking for recommendations on who can do a good job with this.

For those interested. The guitar is properly humidified (house is at 45%-55% humidity and between 72-77 degrees 90% of the year).

The relief is 0.005" and the action is 0.13" at the low E string at the 12th fret.

The bridge is 0.39" tall and the saddle sticks up about 1/8" above it.

A 24" straight edge lying on all the frets hits the bridge 1/16" below the top of the bridge.

I figure I might be able to get away with taking 0.05" off the bridge and reducing the height of the saddle by 0.025", but I need a professional evaluation.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I would suggest Charley's Guitar Shop. They are an authorized Martin service center. Nice folks. Bought at OM-21 from them yesterday.

Last edited by PassingThru; 07-09-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I would suggest Charley's Guitar Shop. They are an authorized Martin service center. Nice folks. Bought at OM-21 from them yesterday.
I live about 10 minutes from Charley's. The reviews I am seeing for Bryant are a bit of a mixed bag. I will say, the negative reviews involved taking months to get work done, a bad install of K&K Pure Mini pickups, and a relic job the customer was not thrilled with. I am not sure any of those really bother me given what I am looking for is more fundamental.

Have you had them do any serious repair work for you?
Old 06-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I have not had them to any serious work for me. I do plan to have them install a pickup once I decide between K&K which Jacob suggested and the LR Baggs Anthem. I guess I missed the bad reviews. Based on your comments I'll look harder for some reviews.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I finally found some old Yelp reviews I think your are referencing. Majority were favorable with a couple from 2016 and the K&K install from 2019 that were negative. I'll still give the opportunity to install my pickup. I do thank you for reminding me to take a closer look at my service providers.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I finally found some old Yelp reviews I think your are referencing. Majority were favorable with a couple from 2016 and the K&K install from 2019 that were negative. I'll still give the opportunity to install my pickup. I do thank you for reminding me to take a closer look at my service providers.
I actually had Bryant do a pickup install and setup on a Fender Cabronita and he did a great job. The potential for a neck reset is a whole another level though.

FYI: Dallas Guitar Repair over east of SMU gets great reviews.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair