The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-24-2021, 02:05 PM
Eric Skye

Though I personally couldn’t see using a pickup as part of the mix for myself, I could maybe imagine using if I was recording a player that was heavy into the percussive guitar thing. Often when you hear someone like that play acoustically, the drumming sounds are too loud relative to just the guitar playing alone. Seems like if you had a soundhole pickup track maybe you could get a few dbs out of it to get a better blend of the two.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Ippier didn't really ask about mics vs pickups, he just asked how to get a stereo sound from pickups. I agree, for my taste, mics win over pickups every time. But there are lots of different tastes out there, and lots of people in situations where mics aren't a good option. I responded to a different thread recently, trying to strongly suggest the poster use mics instead of pickups for recording, and was (rightly) reminded by others that there are other sounds possible - not everyone is looking for the stereo-mic'd acoustic tone.

As far as using pickups as an add-on to mics, I rarely do that, but it is pretty commonly done, and I know of many cases where top notch gear and engineers were used - it's not always a situation where good gear isn't available - but they still leveraged a pickup as well as mics. Here's one example:

I actually got a chance to hear the raw tracks for this recording, and indeed the stereo mics (KM184s as spaced pairs, if I recall right) sounded very nice by themselves - those alone would have been a very good recording. But in the final mix, the pickups (2 of them) added to the punch and bigger-than-life sound of this recording. It all depends on what you're going for. I have heard recordings where I thought the added pickup made the overall sound worse, but in Dustin's recording here, I don't hear any detrimental effects from the pickups and instead, I think they enhance the sound.
Wow, wow, wow. Love everything about this composition and the recording. Terrific sound. The Reverb is especially appropriate for displaying the beautiful harmonics, overtones and rhythmic playing.
One of Dustin's Finest compositions and recordings in my opinion. I totally agree, in this case for this type of playing, the bigger than life addition fits the composition's goal.
The only problem now, Is I want to quit guitar playing after hearing this perfect piece.
Doug what were the internal pickups he used?
Old 06-24-2021, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Doug what were the internal pickups he used?
K&K and a magnetic (Sunrise? I forget). Dustin often posts here, so he can provide more detail, of course. Very interestingly mixed by Antoine DuFour.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD