The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Default Grinning Elk Guitar Show - this past weekend

This past weekend, I sort of stumbled upon a guitar show in Duluth, GA, the Grinning Elk Atlanta Guitar Show. I say stumbled because I had no idea this thing was happening until Saturday night. My wife is friends with Danny Shoemaker of Straight Frets in Austin. Facebook noticed he was in Duluth and we found out he was supporting a friend of his at the guitar show. So of course, we head to the show on Sunday.

It was a nice show. Good mix of acoustics thrown in. It sounds like they are hoping to do this next year. A few take aways from the show.

Rose Creek Guitars - Small shop located in Cumming, GA. There was a dread and OM on display at the Atlanta Vintage Guitars booth. Sweet playing and sounding. I'd say these are worth a look for a commission build.

AMI Guitars - Hadn't heard of this import brand but they make a pretty good instrument. My favorite was a European Spruce/Blackwood jumbo. These were on display from Honeycutt Guitars out of Johnson City, TN, I think.

Madtown Guitars - Located in Madison, GA. Electric guitars but I would be remiss to not mention them. Danny was helping them out and we ended up spending a good bit of time at the booth. Nice looking electrics with some tweaks for playability. Their 3-way switch is located above the strings rather than below and the neck connection has a cutaway section to make high neck playing more comfortable. I thought those were interesting designs.

Songbirds - The Songbirds museum brought some cool guitars including an original Les Paul that is worth somewhere in the mid six figures. I was almost scared to breathe while looking at it.

All in all, fun show to attend. I'm hoping they do this again next year and that I know about it ahead of time then.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM

I also went. I had a lot of fun. It was cool to have all those guitars in one place at one time. It wasn't the best place to audition an acoustic, but at least I got to play a lot of them, including a 50's D-28. I'll go again next year if they do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion