The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
And then there is the word bespoke, so if we are splitting hairs...

According to Wikipedia - As adjectives the difference between bespoke and boutique is that bespoke is individually or custom made while boutique is specialized in bespoke or custom-made products or services for a clientele in a niche market.

I personally never say boutique or bespoke to describe my luthier-made guitars. I just use the name of the maker and the model. It is kind of like the difference between used and pre-owned. They are really the same thing but the latter implies and is usually used to present a higher-end product.

Best,
Jayne
Mmm, so I do have a bespoke McAlister. However, all of my guitars are taken to my Tailor for fitting...
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM

I looked Boutique up in the "Jamie Guitar Dictionary for the Common Man"

It said Boutique /bu'tik/ Not affordable by guys like you pal

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 06-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
In the context of guitar’s I just consider it a midway point between factory built and luthier-built. Doesn’t mean the quality is a midway point though, and that’s where it can become confusing. Using the term “Boutique” is just meant to add a perception of quality to the subject because of limited supply and demand.

Factory: Martin
Boutique: Lowden
Luthier: Marc beneteau
Except that on guitar forums, "boutique" is often applied to anything not large factory built.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I agree that the term is not well-defined, but I think for practical purposes, it does mean enough to be meaningful in most contexts on this forum.

A "boutique" guitar is a guitar not mass-produced, but built by a small shop, by the same person. Small quantities, higher prices.
Yet a Collings or a Santa Cruz is built by a team, with people at different stations doing different tasks. No different than Taylor or Martin, except scale and attention to detail. Are Collings or Santa Cruz "boutique?" On the other hand, even renowned single builders such as James Olson or David Webber often will have an assistant. Are they "boutique?" Froggy Bottom has multiple people building guitars, under Millard's supervision. Are they "boutique?" Even true solo builder may have someone else do something specialized like finish or inlay work. Are they "boutique?"

At some point the word means so many different things that it ceases to mean anything distinctive.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Like it or not, as an adjective, it's an appropriate use of the word:
  • of, designating, or characteristic of a small, exclusive producer or business
  • used to describe a small fashionable business that sells a particular product or service
  • (of a business) small and offering products or services of a high quality to a small number of customers
  • referring to a business that is for a small and sophisticated client base

Here's an interesting article about the word's connotations: https://signalvnoise.com/posts/1807-...tious-boutique
And when it comes to guitars, I'd agree with three of four. Unfortunately many folks only think of the one...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Yet a Collings or a Santa Cruz is built by a team, with people at different stations doing different tasks. No different than Taylor or Martin, except scale and attention to detail. Are Collings or Santa Cruz "boutique?" On the other hand, even renowned single builders such as James Olson or David Webber often will have an assistant. Are they "boutique?" Froggy Bottom has multiple people building guitars, under Millard's supervision. Are they "boutique?" Even true solo builder may have someone else do something specialized like finish or inlay work. Are they "boutique?"

At some point the word means so many different things that it ceases to mean anything distinctive.
Interesting points.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Mmm, so I do have a bespoke McAlister. However, all of my guitars are taken to my Tailor for fitting...
I guess maybe it is a factory-built guitar that you take in for a set up and for a bespoke guitar you must schedule a custom alteration appointment.

Off topic - One of my uncles had a fancy watch given to him when he retired and it had to be taken in for a free check up appointment every year or it voided the warranty. Trouble was the only certified watch tech for that brand was over 70 miles away. He took his chances, never did take it in and the watch did outlive him. I think that his son still has it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Except that on guitar forums, "boutique" is often applied to anything not large factory built.
Wow - so my 'handcrafted guitars' are now 'Boutique' too? WooHoo...all that work coloring in the frets with a sharpie finally paid off! lol
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
In the context of guitar’s I just consider it a midway point between factory built and luthier-built.
+1. To me, this is a functional definition of a boutique guitar, as it is used on this and other guitar forums. Those guitars that are built by a small company (team) with a relatively small yearly output, as opposed to the much bigger companies on one hand, and a single luthier on the other.

At least that's what I think of when I hear the term.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I guess maybe it is a factory-built guitar that you take in for a set up and for a bespoke guitar you must schedule a custom alteration appointment.
Ah, but my other McAlister was also bespoke, but for someone else. When I wound up with it I still had to take it to my tailor for fitting...

Quote:
Off topic - One of my uncles had a fancy watch given to him when he retired and it had to be taken in for a free check up appointment every year or it voided the warranty. Trouble was the only certified watch tech for that brand was over 70 miles away. He took his chances, never did take it in and the watch did outlive him. I think that his son still has it.

Best,
Jayne
Watches need checkups? Oil changes? New timing belts? NOW we are talking about a universe that I know nothing about. My $250 Timex doesn't exactly equip me for it...
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Boutique" means so many different things to so many different people that it really doesn't mean anything.
This ! I the luthiery context, Does it mean one luthier working alone? Or two -ten working together, A small "factory?" I honestly don't know.

I'm pretty sure that most luthiers started on their own or as an apprentice to another.

Dana, Bill, Richard, Bob, and many more probably started this way. How many work at Collings, SCGC, Bourgeois etc., -I dunno.

I think that "boutique" at least, implies the opposite to mass or uniform production.

I suspect that all the above "build to order" - i.e, their retailers order what they think they can sell or to fulfil individual customer orders, whereas the mass producers like Gibson, Taylor, Martin "build to plan" i.e, build large batches and send them out to retailers who are compelled to take so many per month ... AFAIK!
Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Wow - so my 'handcrafted guitars' are now 'Boutique' too?
Uh oh. You mentioned the other overly-used, utterly meaningless word in our time: "handcrafted" or "handmade". It means whatever you want it to mean since very, very few things these days are actually made without the assistance of machines at some stage in the making.

Yeah, somewhere in-between the vacuum-clamping, the thickness sander and the robotic arm spraying on a finish, someone used a chisel - by hand - to shape a brace: "handmade".

I agree with Mycroft that the term "boutique" doesn't really mean much but for appearances intended to invoke exclusivity and "quality".
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Guest 728

Quote:

Just because there are degrees of boutiqueness, it doesn't render the term meaningless. Fortunately, we have a rich language that allows us to modify and clarify, so we can say things like, "a one-man boutique builder," or "a small, limited-production boutique manufacturer." You can take the word "boutique" out of those descriptions and they're still accurate, but its inclusion further connotes exclusivity, sophistication, quality, etc.

So even though the term is often applied more broadly than you'd like, it does help to convey that the guitar is of high quality and not mass-produced on a large scale, and I think for most people, boutique makes that point with fewer syllables.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM

I like that..."degrees of boutiqueness"
That's a keeper.

Ex: "Francis had recently experienced varying degrees of boutiqueness with his guitars"
When combined with the varying degrees of uniqueness, he now felt completeness.

With apologies to Willie.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM

I’d say Dana would be considered a Boutique builder in direct comparison to Bob Taylor, but even at 400 guitars a year, Dana’s guitars could be considered mass-produced if compared to a builder who turns out 10-20 guitars a year.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion